Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 08:42 AM

Good call
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Well 3 pages so far and no one's gone there?

STEEL IS REAL and real men ride steel!

Old 10-27-2021, 09:00 AM

I'd question whether this frame is bonded together with a rear triangle + front triangle bonded in those 4 places + a manufacturing defect.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:45 AM
cmg

Disc brakes caused this? Maybe, think about the forces when the rear brake was applied. non-drive chain stay receives the most force as it tries to stop the wheel from turning, it snaps and transfers the load to the drive side, snaps it and the seat stays receives the load and they snap as their designed to dampen the load on the saddle and look cool. On rim brakes the stopping force is at the brake location not the wheels connection point. the story doesn't mention if the brakes were being applied when it happened. or maybe a disgruntled wife hit it as he was jra.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Well 3 pages so far and no one's gone there?

STEEL IS REAL and real men ride steel!
To be clear, my intention when I posted was not to be controversial on carbon fiber as a material for bikes. I currently have three mountain bikes and one gravel bike with frames made out of carbon fiber (and all but one have carbon wheels and cockpits as well).

Seeing stuff like this does make me wonder a bit but it won't stop me from riding
Old 10-27-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Seeing stuff like this does make me wonder a bit but it won't stop me from riding
On the other hand, seeing what a four spoke Spinergy wheel looked like after a spoke failure got me to retire those Spinergys rather quickly.

Four went to three went to zero.

Okay, I didn't actually retire them...I sold them to someone who, I guess, hadn't seen those photos.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-27-2021, 07:05 PM

I'm guessing this was some goofy attempt to give someone a ride on the back of the bike, and the passenger put their feet on the seatstays, causing the chainstays to collapse sequentially.

The bike looks like there was irreverence for it's service life all along, perhaps it was given to a teenager?
Old 10-27-2021, 08:43 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
The bike looks like there was irreverence for it's service life all along, perhaps it was given to a teenager?
I don't think that's a given, the thing deconstructed itself while being used. It probably spent some time sliding along the ground.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:38 AM

Here are a few "for sure" things (for me):

I'm a guy who won't ride CF, yet I have no other reason than my irrational fear it will fail without warning, despite the fact that millions of people are riding bikes made of it without danger or problem.

For the dude who was riding the broken bike in the OP, his failure rate on that particular bike was 100%. No one will ever really know if he did something to induce the failure or if he was indeed Just Riding Along.

At 62 years old with still a little motor left, the difference between what I am on one of my steel Merckxs or Guerciottis or a CF wonder bike is negligible. I no longer race and ride solely for fun and fitness. Even though I know my fear of catastrophic failure of CF is irrational, it would still compromise my time on the bike with worry.

I applaud those who seek out the best of the best and cause manufacturers to push the envelope in design and execution. It just isn't for me.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 10-28-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
On the other hand, seeing what a four spoke Spinergy wheel looked like after a spoke failure got me to retire those Spinergys rather quickly.

Four went to three went to zero.

Okay, I didn't actually retire them...I sold them to someone who, I guess, hadn't seen those photos.
Not just 'Splintergy'..Mavic too..As mentioned, the frame is a Canyon..any bets on his chances to get a warranty? Just trying to do that direct is gonna be 'interesting'...I'm betting just about zero chance of a warranty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (64.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 10-28-2021, 10:52 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Maybe his kid was doing BMX drops, heard a cracking noise and put it back where he got it saying nothing...
Old 10-28-2021, 11:20 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I can think of two ways in which this happened, both of which have been mentioned here recently.

1) His wife got a haircut and he didn't notice.

2) He made the mistake of trying to fend off a bear with a carbon fiber bike.
Or, he backed his car over it cuz he forgot to put it on the rack.....