Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 05:11 PM
Deconditioned!

To 1x or 2x (Allroad content)....

There are lots of great examples here. So apologies if I left other salient examples out (feel free to add).

Anywho, being on my fresh, new Ti ride (darn rain is severely hampering the mileage), I'm mulling over going from AXS 2x to XPLR 1x. As we are always in for a good discussion, I thought I'd move this from emailing a few peeps to a GD.

For me, I realize I'm shaving off a little range on the high and low end. There are also a few more jumps (but not many, and not huge). So, in the end, I'm deciding if the aesthetics of 1x will win out with simplifying the rig. Or, if keeping what I have on hand and maximizing the gear range is "better". I know, I know..only I can answer this for myself. I simply wanted to see some chit chat on the subject.

For context: my bike will be ridden mainly on road. It will likely see some very occasional offroad/gravel...but very much the exception and not the rule. I hope it'll eventually get some credit card touring (18 month old has me staying close to home). As a good buddy of mine described my Hampsten: it a PNW Grand Touring machine. Also, I'm only considered Sram eTap for this bike as that's what it was built for. On purpose, I thank you.

So....let's discuss please. I'm wondering about tradeoffs for the gear range vs the aesthetics of a clean front end with no front DR and double chain ring. With Sram coming to market with XPLR, I feel that really moved the needle towards a 1x system getting rid of some of the compromises in gearing range/jumps.

My rig as it's currently sits:

Here are a few examples from some of our stalwarts that have me wondering about 1x:

Brewsmith's bike:

Andy sti's bike:

Here's the gearing, and differences/similarities, as I'm figuring it:
Yes, I have a 43/30 on my bike. Plenty of speed and plenty of climbing gears.

Last edited by lavi; 10-26-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:28 PM
Administrator

I think for a bike that sees mostly road duty 2x is smarter all the way around. Sometimes there are issues with fitting a 2x system, getting the FD in the right spot and ensuring chainstay clearance for the inner ring, but in your case you have that dialed already, so the setup guesswork is already taken care of.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:30 PM
#RYFB

I have no firsthand experience with 1X but since you've requested chit chat …

I believe that functionality trumps aesthetics, so for a primarily road going rig I don't see any reason to go 1X. Plus I'm not even convinced that eliminating the FD and one chainring is an aesthetic gain, and if so it's decidedly marginal.

IMO of course.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:30 PM

There’s not too much that I really feel passionate about in the bike world. This is definitely one of them. DON’T DO IT! I had a 1X on my mostly road bike and I hated it. 1X makes sense on a MTB, and that’s it.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:32 PM

Echoing all of the above. I have a 48/32 - 32 combo and even with that I sometimes can't find the perfect gear due to jumps in the cassette. 1x would be a nightmare for mostly road. Also, your bike looks sweet already. I say leave.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:38 PM

I second the ‘Do not do it’. I purchased an all road bike with a 1x setup already installed. Even though I installed a Goatlink in the summer to put a wider range cassette on, I could still use a bit more of the climbing and flats gears.
I am in the slow process of shifting to a 2x setup….
Old 10-26-2021, 05:48 PM

Gotta echo those above, if you already have 2x there's little reason to go 1x.

The jumps in XPLR 10-44 cassette are not as well thought out as those on EKAR 10-44. Even with the AXS 10-36 cassette the jumps aren't as well thought out as the EKAR 10-44.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:49 PM

IMO, moving from 2x to 1x would be a step backwards in virtually every way.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
So, in the end, I'm deciding if the aesthetics of 1x will win out with simplifying the rig. Or, if keeping what I have on hand and maximizing the gear range is "better"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I believe that functionality trumps aesthetics
This. It's somewhat anathema to Paceline thinking, but true. Do you want to ride a bike that has appropriate gears for the given conditions and makes your ride more pleasant, or look cool - "aesthetics" - when no one's looking?

Sure, I like a good looking bike, but a good tool that works well trumps a pretty tool that doesn't work quite right.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:52 PM
n - 1

To pile on: even speaking to aesthetics. I absolutely hate the way gigantic cogset looks in the back. Maybe it’s my own issue of perceived weight of those 46-50T cogs, but it just looks ridiculously horrible in my opinion.

Your gear selection of 43/30 and 10-33 seems about the most ideal for a bike like that.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:06 PM

I have ridden 1x gravel for a couple of years and pretty much constantly lament not having 2x. I find the gear jumps to be too annoying.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:08 PM

I think a good rule of thumbs is knobs on the tires = 1x, smooth tires = 2x.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:09 PM
#RYFB

All that said … damn those cranks on @brewsmith's bike look dope.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:10 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

2x unless you are willing to live with large(r) jumps between gears on the 1x setup or really want the peace of mind with a N/W chainring.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:18 PM
Deconditioned!

Ok! Thank you for the thoughts and input. This is all definitely leaning towards the 2x setup. I agree, kinda. Thus my conundrum. However, I think the points are valid...and likely the way I will head. The overall functionality of the 2x is important.

And yes, while it's fun to have a bike others think looks good, this 1x/2x thing is for my own carnal desires. I ride solo most of the time...at a speed so fast that folks only see a blur.

Staying 2x. For now.