Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 07:50 PM

Kids Bikes - Teaching Them To Ride - Advice Needed

Hi, so ......my baby girl is now going to be 5. She's tall, funny, and has the attention span of a squirrel during acorn season. Bought her a good bike that fits her, and will put her in a helmet, strap some gloves onto her tiny hands, and maybe encase her in a football (American) outfit for padding. ​

Actually, got a great deal on Costco for $280, overnight shipped, and no tax. A lot of a kid's bike, but it sure is swell, and a lot less expensive than the last pair of cycling shoes her Daddy bought.
https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/startfw2

Are there any good videos on YouTube, or words of wisdom before I put her on the bike and pray she doesn't run into pedestrians, small dogs, or motor vehicles? The brakes are hand brakes, the bars are upright, but still....should I wait another year to teach her, or just take her to a grassy hill in her padded outfit and hope for the best?

Would like her to enjoy cycling, but want to ease her safely into it. We've watched a lot of women's cyclocross races in person, we've watched a lot of women's racing online, now it's time for her to spin those 4" cranks and be free!

Any advice, jokes (good or bad) will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by 19wisconsin64; 10-23-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:07 PM
kg

Best advice I got is to teach them on a well groomed flat lawn or field. Takes much of the fear out of it.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:11 PM

My only advice is to let this happen naturally. I’ve heard of too many kids embracing bikes early on and being pushed (encouraged) by parents, only leads to complete loss of interest.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:14 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Best advice I got is to teach them on a well groomed flat lawn or field. Takes much of the fear out of it.
My grandfather taught me on a gentle grassy slope that led to a flat grassy area. As I recall, the first few times I rode down without any pedaling, to get used to the balancing thing. As I improved I started to pedal and was able to pedal farther and farther on the flat area. Eventually I didn't need the slope and switched to a long driveway. No training wheels necessary.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:32 PM

Take the pedals off and lower the seat, even if for only an afternoon or two. Teach her balance and momentum. Tell her to push off, glide and lift her feet up. Stand 12 feet away and have her start by skooting to you while watching you and not the ground. Do this many more times than you think reasonable. Like a full 10 minutes or more before moving to a further distance. Explain "looking ahead" not down and repeat at further intervals. After she understands it and starts to get comfortable try to find a slight decline to practice on and explain braking. Do this repeatedly. Think "drills" in other sports. Have her do some slight carving S turns to help understand steering.

Once she seems to have the hang of it, let her know she needs to repeat the big push off to get up to speed...you can at this point, with the pedals put back on. If you want to help with a push you can but I still think it works best to have them ride to you until they can do that at 30-40 feet. Explain the idea that she will end up in the direction she is looking and reinforce not looking at her feet or the ground, but ahead.

Have fun.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:54 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Here you go - my all-time favorite "kid on a bike" image. I hope that's what everyone here would get their child.
(shame on this kid's parents for skimping on the shoes and pedals)

Old 10-22-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
This. I got this advice from my LBS, along with a suggestion of long sleeves and leggings just in case of falls and scrapes. I got my kid off training wheels using a baseball infield (which was conveniently located practically behind my house).
Old 10-22-2021, 09:15 PM

My 3 year old absolutely loves his balance bike. He is crazy fast on it and chooses it over his pedal bike.

Too late to try a balance bike for her?
Old 10-22-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
My only advice is to let this happen naturally. I’ve heard of too many kids embracing bikes early on and being pushed (encouraged) by parents, only leads to complete loss of interest.
This.... Give the opportunity, ask time to time but never push. They will get there on their on. One note is my daughter is an artist and tinker. She and I work on bikes together. My son loves to ride and is pretty damn good at it. He has no desire to wrench on bikes. What really got my daughter into bikes was we took my son's old bike, striped it and painted it a crazy fade and all that. Thats her thing.

Last edited by joosttx; 10-22-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:34 PM

Plus one for the balance bike option. Find cheap one on CL or Marketplace. In a few days would have it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
My 3 year old absolutely loves his balance bike. He is crazy fast on it and chooses it over his pedal bike.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:53 PM

My firstborn, we spent a lot of time riding on the local soccer field. When we moved onto pavement he promptly rode down a slight incline, panicked and t-boned into the curb and went over the handlebars. Minimally injured though and things went well after that.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:05 PM

I agree with the suggestions about removing the cranks or trying a balance bike, and the suggestions about a grass field. I have taught 3 kids how to ride and they all learned a bit differently from each other.

Try to have fun, relax, and be in the moment. It will happen. In hindsight it’s an experience I wish I could go back and relive.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Take the pedals off and lower the seat, even if for only an afternoon or two. Teach her balance and momentum. Tell her to push off, glide and lift her feet up. Stand 12 feet away and have her start by skooting to you while watching you and not the ground. Do this many more times than you think reasonable. Like a full 10 minutes or more before moving to a further distance. Explain "looking ahead" not down and repeat at further intervals. After she understands it and starts to get comfortable try to find a slight decline to practice on and explain braking. Do this repeatedly. Think "drills" in other sports. Have her do some slight carving S turns to help understand steering.

Once she seems to have the hang of it, let her know she needs to repeat the big push off to get up to speed...you can at this point, with the pedals put back on. If you want to help with a push you can but I still think it works best to have them ride to you until they can do that at 30-40 feet. Explain the idea that she will end up in the direction she is looking and reinforce not looking at her feet or the ground, but ahead.

Have fun.
Teach them how to stop FIRST. When they're going to hit something is not the time to start thinking about stop lessons,.

Last edited by bikinchris; 10-22-2021 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Plus one for the balance bike option. Find cheap one on CL or Marketplace. In a few days would have it down.
Balance bikes are a waste of money. Besides, the OP has a new bike already that is much better built than a balance bike.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:44 PM

+1.

Break it down into two simple steps; balance and then pedaling. Once she can coast and balance, she will have confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post