Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 08:23 AM

I thought the lakes I want are expensive…LoreOne 3D wins

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 12-01-2022 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:26 AM
Administrator

I was just thinking about this with regard to saddles.

i thought one of the benefits of 3D printing was it was cheaper than making stuff by hand, especially on a production basis once the model was created.

why is 3D stuff so expensive? $700 saddles, $2k shoes? what?
Old 07-29-2021, 08:35 AM

The "cycling in alignment" podcast did a feature on these shoes. Colby Pearce swooned over them, but it also sounds like he is involved, so hard to take that as an objective review. He is also a bit odd about some of his beliefs.

In looking at them, they sure are ugly, but if they eliminate hot spots and make riding more comfortable, that would be amazing.

Checking pricing:

Lore - 1900
Rocket 7 - 1850
Lamson 1275
d2 - 1275
Bont 1100
Luck - 600

Bleeding edge technology, with a commensurate price.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:40 AM

i think these would be bad in winter

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 07-29-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:58 AM

3D printing parts are expensive on a per part basis, you don't have to make tooling so a custom part can be made for a lower total cost than more traditional manufacturing methods. This doesn't mean it is cheap though, just cheaper. In this case, trying to make that shoe with traditional manufacturing methods would probably yield a $20,000 dollar shoe. The design of this shoe basically requires 3D printing technology.

At this point 3D printing is rarely used as a direct alternative for more mature manufacturing processes when any kind of volume is involved. For one off custom parts it can be great but it depends on the part, sometimes a cheap mold or CNC machining is still the way to go.

This shoe is offering something more interesting. It has been designed around the unique abilities of 3D scanning and printing to offer something that would simply not be possible before. That doesn't mean the shoe is good but my guess would be these kinds of technologies will become more and more prevalent at the consumer level.

The watt counting types are normally concerned with aerodynamics aren't they? this doesn't look very aero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

i thought one of the benefits of 3D printing was it was cheaper than making stuff by hand, especially on a production basis once the model was created.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

No, it's the other way around. 3D printing can be cheaper for one-off designs, but much more expensive on a production basis.

Also, I paid $1400 for my non-3D printed custom shoes, and they still hurt my feet, so at this point, if the $1900 shoes make my pain go away, I'm on board.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:14 AM

Same as last post. I paid $1500 for custom Riivo and while the shoe seems constructed well the fit is poor and there's no back-up from the maker and no way to fix them -trust me, I've tried both.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:35 AM

I am so glad my feet are happy with inexpensive shoes...As long as they are not narrow & I use a Specialized Body Geometry Footbed (green High Arch) I'm good to go

About that Triathalete...I think it is called buyer exuberance
Old 08-06-2021, 02:49 PM

Okay, I did it. I gave them some money. Now to sit back and wait to see if these shoes are any good.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:01 PM

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 12-01-2022 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:14 PM

I just read a small bit about "patent-pending rigid dorsal roof that maintains dynamic arch function" and "Dorsal Orthotic Powers".

Man, I sure wish I had dorsal orthotic powers when I was a kid. Heck, I wish I had even HEARD of them.

Ride lots.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I just read a small bit about "patent-pending rigid dorsal roof that maintains dynamic arch function" and "Dorsal Orthotic Powers".

Man, I sure wish I had dorsal orthotic powers when I was a kid. Heck, I wish I had even HEARD of them.

Ride lots.
All I really want is "shoe that doesn't hurt my foot when I ride" but I'd be happy with special dorsal powers too.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
This came in my news feed a few days ago.

$1900 for 3D printed shoes. A triathlete testimony said their watts went up nothing else changed…significantly?

https://lore.cc/loreone/
Naw.

Spend all that money and dropped by a guy on social security wearing a pair of Dettos on a friction shift bike.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 08-06-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:52 PM

Making unique objects, in any manner, is always going to be more expensive than making a batch of objects that are all the same.

Fingers crossed that Prototoast is jazzed. Shoes are a great investment. 10 years of $200-$400 shoes every couple of years adds up quickly. The Lore's seem to know what they are dealing with. Probably need to order a couple of pairs of shoe covers though...
Old 08-06-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Making unique objects, in any manner, is always going to be more expensive than making a batch of objects that are all the same.

Fingers crossed that Prototoast is jazzed. Shoes are a great investment. 10 years of $200-$400 shoes every couple of years adds up quickly. The Lore's seem to know what they are dealing with. Probably need to order a couple of pairs of shoe covers though...
I wouldn't have ordered if they have a moneyback guarantee. It's a lot of money to spend on shoes, but I bike about 500 hours per year, and my feet hurt for most of those hours. I don't care if their claims for performance don't pan out. My only hope is that their process of scanning printing custom are comfortable on my very oddly shaped feet.

I do think the shoes look awful, but I already own a lot of shoe covers.

The price, the looks, none of that matters to me if they make my pain go away. If they don't, I'll send them back.

Also for those wondering, I was order #215, so there are at least a few of us crazy people out there willing to try the ugliest, most expensive shoes money can buy (for cycling).