Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2021, 04:32 PM

Probably the best way is make a list of all the fasteners on your bike that you think you'll need to access on a ride, and use that criteria for tool selection. Don't forget the chain tool, Allen key for disc wheels, maybe spoke levers and spoke wrench. Some tools don't do enough and others do too much.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:00 PM

Alot of neat stuff out there.

But Nothing to sway me from my Crank Bros M17.

Maybe someday.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

My favorite is the C.P.R 9 (which I don't think is in production anymore)

Old 05-13-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post

Maybe someday.
What about the crank bros F15? i really dig mine

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
no experience, but if you need torque and like this kind of bit system, I thought the Topeak Nano Torque tools looked pretty slick as well. https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ANO-TORQBAR-DX

They make very good products but 4-5-6 seems odd to me. As long as I have a 5 I could always back off a bit or tighten it a tiny bit more which is what I do now.

You ike the function and build quality?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:05 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
They make very good products but 4-5-6 seems odd to me. As long as I have a 5 I could always back off a bit or tighten it a tiny bit more which is what I do now.

You ike the function and build quality?
I can't comment on the build quality. A couple years ago, I spent a lot of time looking at, and categorizing multitools into a giant spreadsheet to get a better understanding of the market. The Topeak Nanobar was one of the ones that stood out to me as being minimalist, slick in design for a bit/driver type, and (in my opinion) a nice option if your rig has specific torque requirements.

It is missing chain tool obviously... that is a deal breaker for many.

Given the relative simplicity of bicycles, you'd think component manufacturers could just agree on like 3 fastener standards and obviate the need for large multitools.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I can't comment on the build quality. A couple years ago, I spent a lot of time looking at, and categorizing multitools into a giant spreadsheet to get a better understanding of the market. The Topeak Nanobar was one of the ones that stood out to me as being minimalist, slick in design for a bit/driver type, and (in my opinion) a nice option if your rig has specific torque requirements.

Given the relative simplicity of bicycles, you'd think component manufacturers could just agree on like 3 fastener standards and obviate the need for large multitools.
Got it, agree.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Maybe someday.
Same here. I picked up a couple of new Crank Bros M19s at a swap meet almost 15 years ago for like $5 each. I still haven't worn out the first one and the 2nd one sits in my toolbox still looking nice, shiny, and new.

They're not as light and cool as a couple of the options in this thread, but they do have a chain tool and really aren't THAT heavy or bulky. It's really a great design - especially for the price ($35 retail). I never head out on a MTB ride without it.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/collec...s/products/m19

Texbike
Old 05-13-2021, 11:24 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
+1

Unless you have a belt instead of a chain, I don't see how something can be considered a bike implement if it doesn't have a chain tool.

I don't think that's necessarily the case for motorcycles, since you have so many other considerations that make the tool issue both easier and harder to deal with, but for everyday "riding around home" bicycles, like the ones we use for a huge majority of our riding, (as opposed to multi-day touring rigs) IMO you have to have a chain tool.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I had one of those. I felt they were cheaply made.
Now you tell me. Lol. I've only used it once at home since I got it from you, but seems fine for an emergency/trail use tool. Most of my other multi tools are 20 year old schwag from working in bike shops, and rarely get used.

The Wolftooth is a little tough to extract from my bars, which isnt necessarily a bad thing for bouncing along trails. Theres not a lot to grab on to, except a screwdriver flat on the end cap... not too practical on the trail. I imagine when I am huffing and puffing out on the trail and trying to get it out, special words may be muttered under my breath.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:49 AM

Slow day, incoming - Daysaver
Old 05-13-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Same here. I picked up a couple of new Crank Bros M19s at a swap meet almost 15 years ago for like $5 each. I still haven't worn out the first one and the 2nd one sits in my toolbox still looking nice, shiny, and new.

They're not as light and cool as a couple of the options in this thread, but they do have a chain tool and really aren't THAT heavy or bulky. It's really a great design - especially for the price ($35 retail). I never head out on a MTB ride without it.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/collec...s/products/m19

Texbike
By the time you throw in a chain breaker with one of these nifty ultralight wonder tools (I really do think they are) you're at the same weight as an M17 /19

I guess I don't do a lot of on road tinkering.

While we're on the subject, the only small standalone chainbreaker I know of is the Pedro's six pack.

I have a MUCH, like 20 year older version of this that snapped into a conventional multi tool and weighs 60 grams. Is there anything similar out there? Really just curious.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
By the time you throw in a chain breaker with one of these nifty ultralight wonder tools (I really do think they are) you're at the same weight as an M17 /19

I guess I don't do a lot of on road tinkering.

While we're on the subject, the only small standalone chainbreaker I know of is the Pedro's six pack.

I have a MUCH, like 20 year older version of this that snapped into a conventional multi tool and weighs 60 grams. Is there anything similar out there? Really just curious.
My wolf tooth chain breaker weighs 46gm and has a tire plug and bacon strips in it as well. It is currently hidden in my handlebar if needed.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Park ct-5 mini chain tool is 77 g and works ok. I usually carry it on long rides.

David
Old 05-13-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrank View Post
That Daysaver *is* slick, I like it.
Shrinking (or eliminating) the under-saddle bag would rock.

How does the 6mm hex work with the T25 in the way?

You remove the #5&6 bit (my numbers) and it (#7) is the 6mm.