Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 07:12 AM
ZhugeLiang

Merckx pal, long live the king!

Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Mx Leader: the only identification element is painting - the absolute majority of frames with "coloured / contrasting" fork crowns come from 94.
Corsa Extra: Construction elements and stickers indicate a period of 88-90.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:04 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerxil View Post
You don't say...

Old 10-09-2019, 11:08 AM
50 bpm

That's a lot of "cash" in 1990 money!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:33 AM

Mine says Corsa Extra but there is no tubing decal and it has a Leader fork.

Found it on CL, it had been doing trainer duty for many years in the basement of a friend of Walter Godefroot who was the coach for Telekom.

It seems that it is one of Olaf Ludwig's racing rigs from the 1995 season as that was the only year that this colour scheme was used.

F 1386

Old 10-09-2019, 02:53 PM

^^Are any of the main tubes flared on that bike?

Here's my MXL, 61cm. With the 'darts' on either side of the name decal on the down tube, was able to date it to 1994. Not certain, but seems about right. Serial number is H on left side of BB, then D over 9163 on right side of BB.

(well, seems you can't post the same photo twice, so here's the link to mine on p86 of Steel Bike Lovers thread: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=49386&page=86 )

Last edited by tv_vt; 10-09-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:53 PM

If the frame number (3370) is given on this yellow document, it should be the B series (July 1990 is definitely too early for this number in the C series) - so we have the B3370: welcome to the beginning of 1989...
Colours are definitely Team Telekom 1995, but the frame number is not: F1386 is ~spring 1994. A few details are disturbing:
- The Corsa Extra after season 93 was rarely used in races (there was already a solidly built and tested Mx Leader), what's worse in season 1995 Ludwig already had a model of Titane EM (known photo from Giro) at his disposal.
- Your frame was rather repainted for the 95th season (in EMC? - there are minimal differences between the Titane Giro and your bike).
- Combining a Corsa Extra frame with an Mx Leader fork is an interesting experiment, but rather for training (on an unusual surface, for example). It is possible that it was tested on cobblestone "spring classics".
- There are 2 small details missing to be fully happy: markings on the steering tube and photo documentation from 1995 (just 1 clear picture of Olaf on this unusual frame).
If I had to judge it with the knowledge I have at the moment I could not confirm that it is Olaf Ludwig's bike intended for the racing of the 1995 season.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Old 10-09-2019, 03:02 PM

H D9163: Very elegant Mx Leader, standard model, built in the fall of 1993.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:48 PM

Yes, mine is really elegant. It may be a 'standard model,' but unlike most of the MXLs I've heard of, mine easily clears 28mm tires and looks like it could clear 30s. I've got Corsa 28 tires on DA c24 wheels and there is still a lot of room under the rear brake bridge and fork.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerxil View Post
Mx Leader: the only identification element is painting - the absolute majority of frames with "coloured / contrasting" fork crowns come from 94.
Emerxil- Here is an old forum question for you...

On the black, pink, and green paint scheme that was called "FNG" in the catalog, what if anything did the letters "FNG" mean?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:02 AM

tv vt: it would be nice to see it in the pictures
wildboar: this is the code of the painting pattern - the codes were introduced in EMC probably in 1984 when the Team Issue series was produced. They were placed on cards glued to the steering tube, they appeared in catalogues (not all of them) in 1989. The codes were introduced in "generations", at the beginning they were simple abbreviations: MOL - Molteni, FA - Faema etc.in catalogue 89 (not GITA) there are codes with the letter P at the end: AP - ADR, VOP - Domex, NP - Hitachi, QP - Stuttgart (BJP - La William is nice, unusual SE - 7-Eleven). The next generation (shown in catalogue 92) are the codes with the letter T at the beginning: TM - Motorola, TC - Weinmann 91, TG - Telekom, TB - Kelme 91 and the legendary TF - Tutti Frutti (and the unusual RF - red Ferrari) and (shown in catalogue 94) TFR and the equally legendary TAL - Rainbow. In catalogue 94, codes with the letter B appear at the beginning: BDO (dark blue), BRG (green) and BWB (as in Lotto Caloi 94), and unusual R-red and J-yellow. In the 95 catalogue there appears the VL code - team Vlaanderen 2002 and our hero FNG which is the announcement of the next generation (the 96 catalogue) of codes with the letters FN at the beginning: FNB, FNE, FNR, FNP (note: the last letter seems to describe the main color - P purple, R - red, B - blue, G -...isn't that very dark green?). In addition, in 96 there are SG and SV (new generation with S at the beginning?) and unusual WX (white) and PS (black). The last generation (which I was interested in) is shown in the catalogue 1998 - the codes start with RA: RAB (dark blue), RAJ (yellow), RAT (turquoise), RAR (red), RAW (white) and RAZ (black?).
As you can see there is no single method to decipher the code, the additional letters (i.e. those outside the series designation) are: basic colors (R-red, B- blue, J-jaune = yellow) or the team painting code designation or the team name abbreviation.

Last edited by Emerxil; 10-10-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: pomyłka RAW -> RAZ (black?)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:13 AM

The 1995 catalog also has a FNZ in the Strata model. FNB is definitely blue, FNG looks green, and FNZ looks like a blue-black color, the paint scheme looks identical to the FNG Corsa Extra. Eddy Merckx signed my 95 catalog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7370.jpg (65.8 KB, 299 views)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:10 AM

I didn't present all the known codes - maybe one day I'll make a thread out of it on bikeforums I meant rather an attempt to systematize this topic. I don't know if the painting pattern was assigned "exclusively" to a specific EMC model (rather not). The "Painting scheme" can correspond to the code marking, e.g. P at the end can have all (almost) 2 and 3 colour paints from the years 88-90, T at the beginning can have all 2 and 3 colour paints from the years 91-93, etc., and so on. Then, when different decal patterns were applied to the frames, FN, VL, S and RA codes appeared to denote their different patterns (there were at least 7 such patterns until 2000). In fact, you could show the whole 1995 catalog - I think I found only 4 pages from it on the web (I warn you - I would have copied it immediately

Old 10-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Thanks for contributing to the forum!

I just picked this one up. Identified as a Corsa. Original paint and a team bike. Has the internal TT routing and number hanger. It also has a name on the TT, but so far I couldn't find anything related in preliminary searches. At first it looked like the Teve-Blad team paint scheme, but I understand that is more red and slightly different. I don't have the frame in hand. Thanks for any background!

Last edited by RobJ; 10-11-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:17 PM

Does anyone know what this is?

Its not with me yet so dont have any better pics but likely enough for an EMC fan to see?

Tags
merckx, steel frames