Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2021, 11:31 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

In a recent thread; Tubular riders: how to you roll up that spare tire https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=275007

My post states I don't:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I don't. I use tubeless tubulars and either put sealant in from new, or bring 2oz sealant with me. I also have a mini plug kit I have with me, but no spare..

Currently running 2 sets Strada Bianca 30mm, a 25mm Clement LGG paor, and just glued up a 28mm set of Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon. All tubeless...

Sorry bout the Helix out of focus pic..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tufo-SL4-Roubaix-Disc.jpg (63.5 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg Stradas.jpg (122.8 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg LGG-tubulars.jpg (63.8 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by robt57; 10-28-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:45 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I'll add that in the case of the LGG and Strada, these are probably not the best case scenario of magic carpet ride for tubs. But I choose more practical durable tools personally...

The 30mm Strada @ 75 PSI glide sweet, and the 28mm Tufos @ 90 PSI feel about like a 28 tubeless clincher like Sector or Conti 5kTL. But the tubs turn in better to me, being so perfectly round up the sidewalls etc, so 'tub feel' clinchers just can't in that regard.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:37 PM

I go with the single role up. Spares are usually patched tire so they have residual cement.

Spares go into old riding socks to prevent sideways abrasion during transport. I carry a plastic clincher tire iron to break the adhesive seal on the flat tire. The Xlab bag is a copy of the Tufo bag which is a copy of the original Jannd bag.

Using the single roll up method allows me to fit two spares side by side. Sometimes I can have a designated front and rear spare.

In the event of a flat, both spares are removed from the bag. The flat is double folded and goes in the bag. One spare is mounted and the second spare goes into the middle jersey pocket (another benefit of the single roll up is how flat it lays).
Old 10-30-2021, 03:34 PM

Here is how I fold my spare. If you do it this way, the strap doesn’t touch the side wall…only tread, minimizing the chance for abrasion but eliminating the need for a bag. As you wear your tires, replace a few before they are worn away to nothing and they make the perfect spare as the residual glue should be enough to make a decent contact bond to get you home. Just don’t bomb any corners to be safe. I don’t use sealant except in rare cases of a small slow puncture such as from Michelin wire. In my experience, the normal sized holes caused by glass shards, tacks, etc. will not reliably seal above 50 psi. Others may have had better luck, but I don’t like surprises. I just don’t flat very much around here with good tubulars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 425B211A-821B-4EC3-A4E7-7F2FEDE201F8.jpg (90.2 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 86D65DA8-A996-42FF-9217-6C3E3AA64707.jpg (46.7 KB, 215 views)
Old 10-31-2021, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
I have been having a resurgence of desire to ride tubulars this season. The mystique of the process and ride quality has a solid hold on me. My question is this, how do you roll up your spare and what preparations do you make to fix any issue on the road?

Pictures would also be a bonus.
I have 4 sets of tubulars on bikes in rotation. I love the ride of tubulars but carrying a spare is the pain. I go with the double roll pre-glued and slip a multi tool and tire lever into the tire and cinch it together with a toe strap.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
I go with the double roll pre-glued and slip a multi tool and tire lever into the tire and cinch it together with a toe strap.
Clever idea.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
This is the proper way to fold a tubular for under the saddle.

Fold that tub!
Agree 100%. I’ve been doing it this way for years and will never go back. If you fold it tightly it’s very compact. The other advantage is it keeps the seat tube free for a tail light.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:33 PM
n - 1

I actually had no idea until just now that tubeless tubulars existed.

Comparing tubes tubular to tubeless tubular: Is the ride anything like going from tubed to tubeless clinchers?
Old 11-02-2021, 09:01 PM
ZhugeLiang

I know this thread is about rolling up the tubular into small package but I just want to share a recent tubular tire purchase which I thought was a good deal.

https://www.bike24.com/p2196555.html...y&utm_term=any

I was looking specifically for a "wider" tire and this 700x30mm fits the bill.

The shipping to US is on the high side, about $27. But at the crazy discounted price of $23 a piece, even if you throw in the shipping, you will still come out ahead. Beware that their shipping method is DHL normal parcel and may take anywhere from 10-14 days.

I have done two rides on the new set of tires so far and I am thinking I want to go back and buy another 100 more...
Old 11-02-2021, 09:19 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

tubeless, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I know this thread is about rolling up the tubular into small package but I just want to share a recent tubular tire purchase which I thought was a good deal.

https://www.bike24.com/p2196555.html...y&utm_term=any

I was looking specifically for a "wider" tire and this 700x30mm fits the bill.

The shipping to US is on the high side, about $27. But at the crazy discounted price of $23 a piece, even if you throw in the shipping, you will still come out ahead. Beware that their shipping method is DHL normal parcel and may take anywhere from 10-14 days.

I have done two rides on the new set of tires so far and I am thinking I want to go back and buy another 100 more...
Old 11-02-2021, 09:32 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
tubeless, yes?
Not sure what you are asking. It's tubular. When I install it on my regular tubular wheelset, I did remove the core, and put a bit of sealant in it for extra protection.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:34 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Not sure what you are asking. It's tubular. When I install it on my regular tubular wheelset, I did put a bit of sealant in it for extra protection.
Lined without a tube, tubeless?? Like tubulars such as: PDX Clement, Challange Strada Bianca, Clement LGG, Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon Tubulars etc etc??
Old 11-02-2021, 09:41 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Lined without a tube, tubeless?? Like tubulars such as: PDX Clement, Challange Strada Bianca, Clement LGG, Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon Tubulars etc etc??
Sorry, I get confused when you mix tubeless with tubular. I am still not sure, best thing is you click on the link and read the product description yourself.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:54 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Sorry, I get confused when you mix tubeless with tubular. I am still not sure, best thing is you click on the link and read the product description yourself.
I'm not mixing. The tires I mention are in fact TUBELESS TUBULAR tires. I don't do tubulars with tubes anymore.

The link [thanks very much BTW] does not specify.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:57 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
I'm not mixing. The tires I mention are in fact TUBELESS TUBULAR tires. I don't do tubulars with tubes anymore.

The link [thanks very much BTW] does not specify.
Wow...learn something new. Yeah, you are right, they didn't specify, might have to go to Schwalbe directly to get clarification.