Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2021, 10:21 AM

Bike Rack for thru axle

What type of rack are you using for your thru axle front fork bikes? We have a roof rack set up for quick release but now I have a gravel bike with a thru axle and adapter we purchased just doesn’t work well. Thinking of rear mount or roof with both tires on the bike, but difficult to lift up on a tall jeep.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:33 AM
n - 1

For a Jeep? Get yourself a hitch rack like a Kuat, 1-Up, etc. Easy on and off.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:00 PM

Yeah Hitch it is.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:47 PM

I’ve been using this yakima adapter: https://yakima.com/products/15mm-110-fork-adapter

It’s been great at holding the bike except the grub screws that hold the dummy axle in place seem to be too easily rattled. I noticed it was coming loose and then the other day (after it had been tightened down) they came loose again and the boost adapter just rolled off my roof.

Not sure how this could be user error- I wish I had applied a light threadlocker in hindsight but OTHERwise I’d recommend it.

Also: the problem I had wouldn’t cause the bike to fall off the roof- no danger of that, just be wary of losing the adapters.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:23 AM

Sea sucker.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:20 AM

For a Jeep I'd go hitch since the roof is so tall. For my Jetta sportwagen I use the Kuat racks and have adapters for TA: 12, 12 boost, 15 and quick release. Takes less than a minute to swap in/out the adapters.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:45 AM

Of course a hitch rack might be the best way but since you’re already set with a rack just get a thru axle adapter and save yourself $500+.

https://www.amazon.com/Filzer-Fork-A...29373913&psc=1
Old 10-29-2021, 05:48 PM

I used the Rocky Mounts adapters that are the same as what is posted above. They work but they will rotate, forward and or back, no matter how tight you have them. To eliminate this movement I picked up a second set of straps for the rear wheel tray position to really hold the bike in place. This worked great.

This was a cheap fix as I already owned the rack and didn't want to shell out for a hitch and then the rack. Eventually though I went that route. Still have the roof rack and bike mounts for a back up.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
I used the Rocky Mounts adapters that are the same as what is posted above. They work but they will rotate, forward and or back, no matter how tight you have them. To eliminate this movement I picked up a second set of straps for the rear wheel tray position to really hold the bike in place. This worked great.
I've wondered about whether these adapters would stay in place, and not rotate forward or back. Whenever I see photos of these adapters, they are always shown standing straight up. But I would think it might be better to lay them down, so the cross-tube is resting on the bike tray (and maybe even strapping them down in that position). I would think they would more likely stay in place when laid down.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:09 PM

Resurrecting an old discussion on this topic. I own the RockyMounts "tie rod" QR racks which doesn't fit thru-axle. My options seem to be:

a) using the adapters which are fairly cheap but seem to have issues in coming loose and have 0 security
b) buying a new fork-mounted rack that can take QR and thru axle (e.g. Rocky "switch hitter"). More secure but also have 0 security
c) buy one of those racks that mount without wheel removal (racks are on an audi sedan). I guess this gives you a locking option and I guess I'd get the one that clamps to frame not wheel.

Seems that none of the manufacturers have figured out a way to integrate a lock for a thru-axle skewer which is lame. RockyMounts blames the lack of a thru-axle standard (basically they don't want to have to support locks on all the different variants) so their option is to integrate a cable lock in their fork mount which isn't great.

Open to ideas (other than a hitch rack)
Old 04-04-2023, 02:54 PM

Not sure if this is what you are after but I googled and found this. I kind of think it would work well for my roof rack set up.

Though I use sea suckers so I guess they could steal the whole lot, bike, rack and all. Not sure any solution is full proof but its pretty clean solution none the less.

https://hexlox.com/en-us/products/thru-axle-lock
Old 04-04-2023, 04:02 PM
#RYFB

I don't know the configuration of your roof rack, but I have a Thule and just bought a carrier with a thru axle mount. Not cheap but less expensive than a new rack. And now I can carry 3 bikes.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaul View Post
Not sure if this is what you are after but I googled and found this. I kind of think it would work well for my roof rack set up.

Though I use sea suckers so I guess they could steal the whole lot, bike, rack and all. Not sure any solution is full proof but its pretty clean solution none the less.

https://hexlox.com/en-us/products/thru-axle-lock
Nice! Thanks! Hadn't seen those before. Cool idea (if I can avoid losing the hex lock key! haha)