Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Holy s***e! What just happened at Borussia-Park?

Die Rekordmeisters getting walloped as if they were feckless ManU? And Bayern played with a full-strength squad, too.
Seriously - i figured it was the c or d team, but no.

And did you see the brutal loss for Juve? Wow
Old 10-28-2021, 12:08 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Holy s***e! What just happened at Borussia-Park?

Die Rekordmeisters getting walloped as if they were feckless ManU? And Bayern played with a full-strength squad, too.
I watched with almost amusement after the shock. Seems they are human after all.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Seriously - i figured it was the c or d team, but no.

And did you see the brutal loss for Juve? Wow
I didn't, but heard about it. It's rather shambolic.

Technically I could have (I have Paramount for UCL matches), but I just can't get myself interested.

Perhaps this might finally be the year for @wc1934's Napoli?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
I watched with almost amusement after the shock. Seems they are human after all.
Don't worry, the 11-peat (or is it up to twelve now?) is still on for Bayern.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:48 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:

Don't worry, the 11-peat (or is it up to twelve now?) is still on for Bayern.
I know it sounds like sour grapes but I couldn't care less about the cup. As an owner of a season ticket (valid for the league) for a good 25 years, i always had a ticket option for cup matches and took it only a very few times. I wouldn't mind some more serious competition for the league title, either, and I'm proper miffed about how BVB sort of butchered that opportunity, I understand their concerns about taking too much of a financial risk, but I still think they went into a mindset where it is ok to underachieve as long as the books look fine. Same for Hoffenheim, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg and Leipzig
Old 10-28-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I know it sounds like sour grapes but I couldn't care less about the cup. As an owner of a season ticket (valid for the league) for a good 25 years, i always had a ticket option for cup matches and took it only a very few times. I wouldn't mind some more serious competition for the league title, either, and I'm proper miffed about how BVB sort of butchered that opportunity, I understand their concerns about taking too much of a financial risk, but I still think they went into a mindset where it is ok to underachieve as long as the books look fine. Same for Hoffenheim, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg and Leipzig
It always make me wonder what the BvB braintrust is doing when it lavishes money on past-it and unreliable defenders. I mean, paying over 30M Eur for Mats Hummels was a fine bit of robbery by Team Robery, and the teams almost always leaks goals, either via set pieces or on the counter. The defense is just so callow for a bunch of supposed veterans.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:26 AM

Looks like Conte is in London.
One rumor (holding it all up) was that he wanted a generous summer transfer budget. But now he maybe guaranteed a big budget for transfers in January.

What was it that Bill Parcells (NY Jets coach) said - “If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.”
Old 11-01-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Looks like Conte is in London.
One rumor (holding it all up) was that he wanted a generous summer transfer budget. But now he maybe guaranteed a big budget for transfers in January.

What was it that Bill Parcells (NY Jets coach) said - “If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.”
Levy is a fool

Now he has to pay severance to Nuno and grant Conte's wishes (and if he doesn't do the latter, he'll get to pay severance of the latter as well).

All this, basically tracing back to when Levy believe that he didn't need to spend on reinforcement, based solely on the overperformance that Poch was able to obtains. Also, the cost of stadium construction has come home to roost (rather appropriate, given the team nickname). Spurs really ought to know better, given how their neighbor turned out after constructing its own modern stadium. Really omnishambles bit of business decision.

ETA. Levy thinks that his businessman savvy and Kane's naivete would mean that the latter could be compelled to stay. Kane was penny wise and pound foolish in believing that his brother was capable of negotiating a fair deal with Levy; after all, the Kane Brothers were callow enough to have bought into the whole "gentleman's agreement" ruse.

What the Kane Brothers didn't expect (although they should have) was Levy not honoring an agreement not part of an official contract. What Levy didn't expect was that Kane would down tools while still drawing a salary (despite the fact that this phenomena occurs all the time). Both parties end up worse off by being too greedy and naive. In some ways, they deserve each other. Unfortunately, the fans don't deserve this drama.

I remember back when I first started following football that Spurs were on even terms with LFC (Spurs were actually better at that time). While LFC's owners occasionally have penny wise and pound foolish tendencies, it was nowhere near what is exhibited by Levy. Now look at it: LFC is miles ahead, and Poch's good work has been undone...

Last edited by echappist; 11-01-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:49 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Levy is a fool

Now he has to pay severance to Nuno and grant Conte's wishes (and if he doesn't do the latter, he'll get to pay severance of the latter as well).

All this, basically tracing back to when Levy believe that he didn't need to spend on reinforcement, based solely on the overperformance that Poch was able to obtains. Also, the cost of stadium construction has come home to roost (rather appropriate, given the team nickname). Spurs really ought to know better, given how their neighbor turned out after constructing its own modern stadium. Really omnishambles bit of business decision.
Nuno's style was ill-suited for Spurs. They want Pep/Klopp style of brilliant soccer, not the defensive counterattacking style Nuno practiced. His sacking was not unexpected -- actually I give credit to Levy for tearing off the band-aid quickly vice letting this linger (albeit one he never should have hired in the first place).
Old 11-01-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Levy is a fool

ETA. Levy thinks that his businessman savvy and Kane's naivete would mean that the latter could be compelled to stay. Kane was penny wise and pound foolish in believing that his brother was capable of negotiating a fair deal with Levy; after all, the Kane Brothers were callow enough to have bought into the whole "gentleman's agreement" ruse.

What the Kane Brothers didn't expect (although they should have) was Levy not honoring an agreement not part of an official contract. What Levy didn't expect was that Kane would down tools while still drawing a salary (despite the fact that this phenomena occurs all the time). Both parties end up worse off by being too greedy and naive. In some ways, they deserve each other. Unfortunately, the fans don't deserve this drama.

I remember back when I first started following football that Spurs were on even terms with LFC (Spurs were actually better at that time). While LFC's owners occasionally have penny wise and pound foolish tendencies, it was nowhere near what is exhibited by Levy. Now look at it: LFC is miles ahead, and Poch's good work has been undone...
Conte coming in on his own terms - he will expect the Spurs to spend money (that was his complaint about his previous clubs) or he too will walk.

Yup - didnt the govt provide a partial loan for the stadium?
Old 11-01-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Nuno's style was ill-suited for Spurs. They want Pep/Klopp style of brilliant soccer, not the defensive counterattacking style Nuno practiced. His sacking was not unexpected -- actually I give credit to Levy for tearing off the band-aid quickly vice letting this linger (albeit one he never should have hired in the first place).
Really doesn't deserve any more credit than an arsonist who put out a fire he himself lit. There's both a real cost of bad decision making (severance pay) and opportunity cost (how much better the team could have played had Conte been there from the start).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Conte coming in on his own terms - he will expect the Spurs to spend money (that was his complaint about his previous clubs) or he too will walk.

Yup - didnt the govt provide a partial loan for the stadium?
Not for directly for the stadium itself, but Tottenham did take out a loan

https://www.theguardian.com/football...navirus-impact
Old 11-01-2021, 05:17 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

[QUOTE=echappist;3004878]Really doesn't deserve any more credit than an arsonist who put out a fire he himself lit. There's both a real cost of bad decision making (severance pay) and opportunity cost (how much better the team could have played had Conte been there from the start).

I agree. Really I feel for Nuno the most -- he is quality & deserved better.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Cranky!

“When Conte speaks, his words assault you. They crash through the doors of your mind.”

- Andrea Pirlo -
Old 11-03-2021, 04:10 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
It always make me wonder what the BvB braintrust is doing when it lavishes money on past-it and unreliable defenders. I mean, paying over 30M Eur for Mats Hummels was a fine bit of robbery by Team Robery, and the teams almost always leaks goals, either via set pieces or on the counter. The defense is just so callow for a bunch of supposed veterans.
To be fair, they had much success bringing other legends like Kagawa, Götze and Sahin back

They seem to be a bit slow to react. They lost Tuchel because they gave him nothing but youngsters when wo team leaders Weidenfeller and Kehl left, now they seem to think they always need an elder statesman on the pitch to guide the young talent, and also to be fair, Hummels wasn't bad at all for them though I really hate his arrogant face
Old 11-03-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
To be fair, they had much success bringing other legends like Kagawa, Götze and Sahin back

They seem to be a bit slow to react. They lost Tuchel because they gave him nothing but youngsters when wo team leaders Weidenfeller and Kehl left, now they seem to think they always need an elder statesman on the pitch to guide the young talent, and also to be fair, Hummels wasn't bad at all for them though I really hate his arrogant face
Assuming you are referring to his second stint at BvB, that really says it all about BvB's present situation. The tactical nous of a slowing 30-something CB more than make up for the callow naivete of his faster, younger teammates.

Also, he isn't half bad at beating the initial line of pressure and passing long balls accurately. I probably shouldn't have said that as that probably jinxed the whole team. I'm half expecting a shellacking meted out by Ajax.

Speaking of whom, that Ajax squad is quite good. Def a dark horse for this year.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
And BVB takes a helluva beating...

I know BVB's defense is as stout as the Maginot Line, but it still takes some serious firepower (and defensive prowess) for Ajax to win 4-0 at home.

Ajax is probably a good dark horse candidate this year. I hope Ajax goes far into the knock-out stage.
Mats was easily one of the top 3 defenders in the BuLi in 19/20, i think he won that category in the "Kicker" rankings, which are a big deal.

BVB aside, i find this years CL hugely entertaining, no team has really stood out as auto favorites, even PSG, Pool and Chelsea had some bloopers. Entertaining outsiders (Sheriff ) as well... almost like the old days