Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Total Fred

Coming to Boston.

Coming to Boston for a few days before St. Patrick's Day. Will have some time to kill. Any suggestions for fun things to do? Cool LBS? No bike with me...does someone have a spare with 58-ish TT that would be willing to take me out for a ride? Staying at the Fairmont downtown.

Tai
Old 02-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

There are lots of forum members in the Boston area, but very few forum rides. What's wrong with this picture?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 PM

Is there nothing rentable in the Boston area?

Cool beans town, will be fun even if you don't ride.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWok View Post
Coming to Boston for a few days before St. Patrick's Day. Will have some time to kill. Any suggestions for fun things to do? Cool LBS? No bike with me...does someone have a spare with 58-ish TT that would be willing to take me out for a ride? Staying at the Fairmont downtown.

Tai
I'm a big dude but my bikes might work for you, what saddle height do you ride? You would just need to take the T over the river.

Happy to get in on a group ride in any case.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:16 PM

Coming to Boston.

Sadly I'm a bit small to loan out a bike (53). Would definitely be down for a ride however assuming the weather cooperates. What kinda shops are you in to? Superb is the local fixie shop. Somervelo it's a good local shop in Somerville Landry's is the big local chain, and they just recently won best shop in the US iirc. Overall there are a lot of good local shops however, depending on what you're looking for. Feel free to send me a message if there's any other information you'd like about Boston.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIC! Stratton View Post
Sadly I'm a bit small to loan out a bike (53). Would definitely be down for a ride however assuming the weather cooperates. What kinda shops are you in to? Superb is the local fixie shop. Somervelo it's a good local shop in Somerville Landry's is the big local chain, and they just recently won best shop in the US iirc. Overall there are a lot of good local shops however, depending on what you're looking for. Feel free to send me a message if there's any other information you'd like about Boston.
Ride studio cafe (high end coffee shop plus Seven showroom plus nice clothes plus tasty snacks and great staff) is another highlight, I know any ride I did for a visitor would stop there.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 PM

Coming to Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
Ride studio cafe (high end coffee shop plus Seven showroom plus nice clothes plus tasty snacks and great staff) is another highlight, I know any ride I did for a visitor would stop there.

Agreed. Definitely a good spot. Apex Velo also nice if you head west and end up crossing 9. That said you couldn't pay me enough to ride on 9.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:12 PM

Visit the guys at Firefly!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 PM

Someone take the Kid for a ride to Concord if the weather is decent. Stop at a few historic plaques along the way.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:15 PM

You could always buy a Geekhouse or a Firefly while there...
Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Someone take the Kid for a ride to Concord if the weather is decent. Stop at a few historic plaques along the way.
Haha, if you stopped at all of them, though, the ride would take nine hours.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:50 PM
Imshi Cycles

I probably have a bike I could loan ya, well, I definitely do, just a matter of how much liability you want to take on in such a loan

Would be happy to take you out for a ride also, though I live about 5mi south (red line to ashmont) from where you are staying.

As far as "cool shops to visit" well, not much really, pretty service/sales oriented in the city, not many little hole-in-the-wall museum-style shops with any history unfortunately. Somervelo in Somerville is about as close as you'll get. Beyond that, Ride Studio is a great place to visit on your way in/out of the city on a ride. Great coffee and plenty of eye candy.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 02-10-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:09 PM

I have been to Boston numerous times but went there last time as a tourist. Saw Boston Commons including the Cheers bar, Fenway green monster, Harvard Square just to walk around, Harvard (if they let you in), Patriot trail, Big Dig. That was my best visit.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:30 AM

When I visited I made sure to stop by Harris Cyclery. I learned so much from Sheldon Brown I felt like I had to pay my respects!
Old 02-11-2016, 08:11 AM

I'm located in Jamaica Plain walking distance from the Green St. stop on the Orange line. I'd be happy to meet up for a beer and/or a ride.

You could check out Bikes, Not Bombs. It's not a huge shop, but it's cool. It's also a short walk from the Sam Adams brewery.

Zanconato Custom Cycles is about an hour outside of the city if you have a car and wanted to meet Mike and see where his magic happens. If you do get out there and are able to get a bike, the riding is really good.