Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2015, 08:28 PM

Need advice from the tubular gurus

So I have been thinking for a few seasons of trying tubulars after reading how much many here like them. I wanted to pick up a pair that were slightly used but at a price point that didn't kill me if I found out the venture didn't pan out. A friend is offering me a set of Bontrager Race X Lite wheels with 3 continental tubs and tape for $500. Other than the awful looking red spokes I can almost justify the entry price because of the tires being included. What do you think? Does anyone have any experience with these wheels? Is this a good place to dip my toe in the water or should I pass and keep looking?
Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 PM

The price sounds about right. The wheels aren't anything super. Which tires are they? If they are Sprinters, you're not going to get a good idea of how a good tubular rides, because they ride like fire hoses. Are you willing to learn how to properly glue tubulars? If not, plan on paying $50 each to have a shop mount them.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:38 PM
The B!

I don't know anything about those tires... But I do know that the tires make all the difference. If you're not gonna roll good rubber, you're coletely missing out on what tubulars can give you. Here's what I would do: buy Maddox's 7801c50 wheelset, peel the Hutchinsons that come on it and order two (or three, better- but you can use the Hutchinsons as spares) Vittoria Corsa Elites from Ribble for around 35ea... $450 shipped for bomber wheels from a cool dude, and probably the second best tubular on the market for less than $100.

Use Vittoria glue
Old 03-12-2015, 09:35 PM

C50's

Do you know offhand what the Maddox wheels are posted under in the classifieds?
Old 03-12-2015, 09:37 PM
The B!

BOOM

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=163957
Old 03-13-2015, 05:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
So I have been thinking for a few seasons of trying tubulars after reading how much many here like them. I wanted to pick up a pair that were slightly used but at a price point that didn't kill me if I found out the venture didn't pan out. A friend is offering me a set of Bontrager Race X Lite wheels with 3 continental tubs and tape for $500. Other than the awful looking red spokes I can almost justify the entry price because of the tires being included. What do you think? Does anyone have any experience with these wheels? Is this a good place to dip my toe in the water or should I pass and keep looking?
Tape? Conti Sprinters retail for about $65 per..Comp 22 for $100+..

As for the wheels, depends on you and your riding style. IME, some wheelsouttaboxes from Spec-ed can be a bit wonky..not reliable.

ahhh, tubular glue-on tape stuff-yup, lose that(sell?), get a can of Panaracer or Vittoria, wee acid brush..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-13-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Tape? Conti Sprinters retail for about $65 per..Comp 22 for $100+..

As for the wheels, depends on you and your riding style. IME, some wheelsouttaboxes from Spec-ed can be a bit wonky..not reliable.
Don't use the tape, sell it on ebay.

The gluing process improves dramatically if you use a 30ml syringe to apply the glue (using a can of glue) and an acid brush to spread the glue. I use Vittoria Mastik in a can, but for your first attempts you might use a few tubes of glue. A can makes sense once you're fully committed!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:18 AM
Lanterne rouge

Tubular are very nice providing you are using nice gear.

I am not a fan of Bontrager wheels and definaty not for 500 bucks. I do like conti competition tires but the Vittorias are better IMO. No tape, that's jankey. You can get a nice tubular wheel setup for 500 bucks and it won't involve Bontrager wheels. I say go for it.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 AM

Definitely pass....that does not sound like a good deal for a ten year or older set of wheels, not to mention the paired spoke design is a pain. Look around the forum and u can find much better deals. As for tires, tubulars are about the road feel....cheap tires are not going to allow u the experience. But u don't have to spend much....you can find good quality and great riding tires for $30-35 and some of the best tires for $50 at Ribble and other outlets.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Everything is connected

^ +1.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
I don't know anything about those tires... But I do know that the tires make all the difference. If you're not gonna roll good rubber, you're coletely missing out on what tubulars can give you. Here's what I would do: buy Maddox's 7801c50 wheelset, peel the Hutchinsons that come on it and order two (or three, better- but you can use the Hutchinsons as spares) Vittoria Corsa Elites from Ribble for around 35ea... $450 shipped for bomber wheels from a cool dude, and probably the second best tubular on the market for less than $100.

Use Vittoria glue
Thanks for your input. I decided to contact Mike and I grabbed the 7801 c50's from him. Obviously I can't confirm if they are bomber wheels yet but you were certainly spot on about him being a cool dude! What a great guy to deal with. Now for the fun part. Veloflex or Vittoria? 23mm or 25mm? What kind of glue? Etc. I'm pretty psyched about this experiment.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Lanterne rouge

Good score. I say the 25's. Get all the good ess you can.

I have a tubular question too. Off to my own thread.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:34 PM

Corsa CX and a can of Mastik One. 7801's are great wheels, much better than average. 10 speed only though.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Thanks for your input. I decided to contact Mike and I grabbed the 7801 c50's from him. Obviously I can't confirm if they are bomber wheels yet but you were certainly spot on about him being a cool dude! What a great guy to deal with. Now for the fun part. Veloflex or Vittoria? 23mm or 25mm? What kind of glue? Etc. I'm pretty psyched about this experiment.
Hard to beat Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25..I like Panaracer tubie glue myself. Cans are pretty hard to find but can't beat 'taking a trip without leaving the farm'..use in a well venilated space. OR Vittoria Mastik but after opening the can, leaving it set is gets kinda thick, Pana doesn't.

Yep, shimano 10s only those wheels.