Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 AM

Best Solution for Removing Decals

I am interested in removing the decals from Stan No Tube rims and Fox suspension fork. There are suggestions littered on the web about Goo Gone as well as WD40. Anyone with good experience with either, or other suggestions.

Looks like using a hair dryer to heat up the rim also helps a bit. Any experience? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 AM

Hair dryer or heat gun usually does the trick of the decals aren't under a clear coat. Goo gone afterwords to clean up the mess.

I had a hard time getting the decals off my Litespeed, but another forum member recommend nail polish remover. Since my frame was raw, I didn't have to worry about the acetone in the nail polish remover eating away any paint.

Wrapped a towel over my decals, soaked it in nail polish remover, applied pressure for a minute or two, and they started to peel off. Took 30minutes or so, but in the end it worked.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 AM

I'm with trangalang. I've been very successful using a hair dryer then cleaning off any residue with WD-40 or Goo-Gone. Just be sure and remove your tires prior to using the heat gun.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I'm with trangalang. I've been very successful using a hair dryer then cleaning off any residue with WD-40 or Goo-Gone. Just be sure and remove your tires prior to using the heat gun.
Remove the rim strip, too!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Sounds like the decals do not stick to the paint underneath too tight to make the paint underneath come off. My fear was to end up with bald spots on the rim or the fork. Thank you.