Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 03-07-2021, 03:40 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Definitely interested. That 134 mile would be a tough 2 day route for me. I'd also have to update camping stuff, being an old guy my stuff is old, and expect today stuff is lighter.
Eric, how rough are these roads? I rode DrR2 in 2019 on Vittoria Voyager Hyper 700x37, which are smooth siped tread tires, and there were only one or two places where I wanted more rubber.
I would expect this route to be on mostly-mellow dirt roads punctuated by a few class-4/jeep track/singletracky sections that may only be rideable after things are fully thawed up here. Mud/snow will be the early season limitations of rideability.

If you are used to a 37 as your "big tire" and dont mind picking/walking your way through rougher sections, youd probably be ok.
--- THAT SAID ---
Things change when you load the bike and a 37 very quickly starts to feel like a 27.

After a few years screwing around with various bikepacking configurations I've settled on a hardtail 29er as the ideal rig. If you have a large enough main triangle you can probably get away with not using fork mounted drybags. If you dont have that space, fork mounted bags are a must (IMO). I have the space...and I still use fork mounted bags because i enjoy organization and having more space than I need for water storage.

Part of my reasoning behind a summer overnight ride vs fall or spring is, well, the weather! Particularly overnight temps. You can get away with carrying a lot less gear.

Also pondering various scenarios that would level the playing field to make the ride more do-able in 2 days for EVERYONE. Food/cooking gear is a big one, if we can carry 1-2 larger capacity setups spread out amongst the stronger riders (instead of 10 individual sets) that would lighten the load for those with less bag-capacity/fitness.

And just so we are clear, I am including myself in that group of those with less fitness ha, I havent ridden a bike since mid-October. Hoping ill be able to whip my ass into shape quick enough to test ride this route at least once before inviting any of you folks over.

Also not ruling out the possibility of maybe doing more than one of these, with a longer overnight route and then another "easier" 50-60mi 1-day ride bookended (or not) with camping.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:57 AM

If I could find the time then I would be intersted in the 3 day route. Looks like some great terrain!
Old 03-08-2021, 01:41 PM

My proposal is that Angry carry all the group gear, because he is carrying less weight than the rest of us :-)
Old 03-08-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
If I could find the time then I would be intersted in the 3 day route. Looks like some great terrain!
I'd also be interested in the 3 day.

SPP
Old 03-08-2021, 03:41 PM
aka RAEKWON

I definitely not into the 1 day route but 2 days sounds perfect for me just because could be a weekend thing and no need to take work off.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:35 AM

Bump cause it's getting closer to late Spring.

Any new thoughts on this?

SPP
Old 04-30-2021, 01:43 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Bump cause it's getting closer to late Spring.

Any new thoughts on this?

SPP
Havent had a chance to recon yet, or even ride AT ALL this year...yet, been busy with a ton of other to-do's but very much still planning on trying to pull things together for a small group event of some sort. Worst case (for me) scenario, this ends up being my first ride since...october, ha!

Anyone have preferences for a date?

Its going to be a pretty busy May for me (closing on 20ac of land on the 27th, lots of prep to do for that) and an even busier summer of land clearing/building in the months following...plus side: tons of land available for camping!
Old 04-30-2021, 06:04 PM

I’d be down! Keep us all in the loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
fwiw my route yesterday picked up a short portion of this loop, miles 65-80. Notably, the old I.P. Road miles 67-76 is unmaintained grassy single track where I was happy to have 27.5x2.25 TBs on my gravel bike. Riding it south to north makes sense since that makes for a more gentle uphill pitch followed by a less gentle downhill pitch. Kelley Strand Road, running east-west immediately before is a brilliant stretch of gravel with a pleasant grade alongside a flowing river - ride the whole length of it from US 7 if you get a chance.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 06-24-2021 at 10:25 AM.