Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 02:23 PM
Classics Fan

The world is complex and "contains multitudes". This "accomplishment" can be both reckless endangerment and interesting. There is no reason it has to be one or the other.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
maybe...but things happen all the time over this nation...for all sorts of reasons...terrible stuff of course...but I do think this country has a freakish fetish for law and a neurosis via every one of these threads about anyone doing anything interesting that somehow "might, but didn't hurt anyone" and the faux outrage......but you go ahead a wear a helmet if you like while walking...never know, it could save your ass...
It's not like I don't know what you are saying, I do. But jaywalking is not driving 193mph down the highways so I'll stand by that. And yes I'm still glad I live in a free country that allows me to ride my bike with no helmet. My friends on the other had, and many of you forumites, will still give me shiz over it
Old 12-05-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
My first three cars were Japanese and I called them Rice cars or rice burners as well. I just didn't realize a rice box refers to a playstation. I speak openly and don't take offense to that terminology. Cars are pretty global now. Trucks from American companies not made here, hell Toyota makes the most American truck produced! Mercedes SUV's not made in Germany, Chinese designed Swedish cars. I mean we've had Mexican made bugs for eons now.
Haven't seen one in awhile, but used to see a lot of them with "Got Rice?" bumper stickers.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
My first three cars were Japanese and I called them Rice cars or rice burners as well. I just didn't realize a rice box refers to a playstation. I speak openly and don't take offense to that terminology. Cars are pretty global now. Trucks from American companies not made here, hell Toyota makes the most American truck produced! Mercedes SUV's not made in Germany, Chinese designed Swedish cars. I mean we've had Mexican made bugs for eons now.
We had a DJ get fired one day (really fast, so may have been more to it) for describing a certain motorcycle as a "rice burner". Said it at 4, off the air at 420, back on to apologize at 445, gone the next day.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The weird thing about defending this is they did nothing of value.

What they've contributed to society by doing this is on par with trying to drink a gallon of milk without throwing up on your Youtube channel.
No different from a bicycle race then.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
No different from a bicycle race then.
Those two things relate...how?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Those two things relate...how?
"Nothing of value." Per his definition.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I'm struck by the fact that most people have no idea how any given car will react to a small upset at these kinds of speeds. It's not too hard to find videos of purpose-built race cars flipping due to too much air underneath the car. And then we have this incident where a Porsche Boxter ended up in the second floor of a building: (warning, autoplay video) https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...564723642.html
And then we have that thing where these three guys in a sick-ass Benz and piles of digital and analogue tech drove fast as all get out (faster than anyone apparently) like super fast from NYC to L.A. and didn't hit a Russian air pocket that threw them sky high, flipping and landing on a federally funded nursery school for poor foster kids...where all the kids died in a pile of burning plastic chairs and nap time carpet squares.

Let's keep things on topic folks, this is a story about life not death.

Live it.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:02 PM

Please, I sincerely hope that no one takes offense at my comments. No offense intended.

To use a descriptive phrase, I am very surprised by the number of "Aunt Nancy" responses to this this achievement.

Yes, it's somewhat stupid and dangerous, but it's the type of occasional off the grid accomplishment that inspires and keeps the "what if" juices flowing.

If that team offered me the opportunity to be the spotter, I'd have to think about it long and hard. I've done dumber things.

For example, while working the night side of a Missouri newspaper when I was 21 and my cerebral cortex was not completely developed, I would drive my co worker's Jaguars at 150 mph on back highways in the middle of the night. Never again, at least that fast.

Cheers

Last edited by RFC; 12-05-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:21 PM

Nvrmnd, not worth it.

Last edited by Clean39T; 12-05-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
So I'm not a "real man" because I think these attention craving fools should be forced to do long, hard community service for years to make up for their egregiously selfish and asinine behavior on public roads?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It's not a real man issue. I appreciate your opinion.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:36 PM

20 some odd minutes of non moving time. Think about that
Old 12-05-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
20 some odd minutes of non moving time. Think about that
They must have been using the trucker's helper.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:55 PM

A chimpanzee in the front seat or a CB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
They must have been using the trucker's helper.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:09 PM

I can't believe how many people on a bike forum have been brainwashed by car culture.

I gotta stop reading the general discussion topics - they make me too angry.
Closed Thread