Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

The accompanying video embedded in the article is equally as interesting.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:29 AM

This is just insane, statute of limitations shouldn't exempt this type of behavior.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipmeister View Post
Completely agree. These guys know how the drive and the majority of population doesn’t. Real danger is from clueless folks who shouldn’t be behind a wheel in the first place. Love how they disguised that AMG to look like a trusty Honda at first glance.
I've spent some time on auto racetracks (HPDE, not competition), and a really curious thing happens when you leave to go home.

Driving down the highway, with traffic, you are highly conscious of the fact that everyone around you is clueless, not paying attention, not watching out for your safety...or theirs.

It's a weird contrast to driving hard on a track, yet feeling safe.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-04-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipmeister View Post
Completely agree. These guys know how the drive and the majority of population doesn’t. Real danger is from clueless folks who shouldn’t be behind a wheel in the first place. Love how they disguised that AMG to look like a trusty Honda at first glance.
The point is that they are interacting with the clueless (and the law-abiding) at something approximating twice the typical speed of traffic. Physics doesn't give them a break because they are skilled drivers, and it doesn't matter who was right or wrong when someone is dead.

This is social irresponsibility in the extreme.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:13 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
The point is that they are interacting with the clueless (and the law-abiding) .....
+1
They can be the best drivers ever, but are only as safe as the stupidest person they pass.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy
Driving down the highway, with traffic, you are highly conscious of the fact that everyone around you is clueless, not paying attention, not watching out for your safety...or theirs......
I've never been on a track and I am aware of this...

Last edited by Ozz; 12-04-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I've spent some time on auto racetracks (HPDE, not competition), and a really curious thing happens when you leave to go home.

Driving down the highway, with traffic, you are highly conscious of the fact that everyone around you is clueless, not paying attention, not watching out for your safety...or theirs.

I had similar experiences during my amateur auto racing days. After driving to my limits on the track, I had no need or desire to drive fast on the street. I think auto racing made me a much safer driver by substantially raising my situational awareness. I looked at every other road user as someone who would unexpectedly put my life and safety at risk. When the unexpected did happen, I nearly always had an escape plan in mind and the skills to execute the plan.

Greg
Old 12-04-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Physics doesn't give them a break because they are skilled drivers, and it doesn't matter who was right or wrong when someone is dead.
^^This^^

It reminds me of events during my flying career. The best pilots weren't the ones who told stories of how they used their superb skills to do things that were illegal and/or unsafe. The best pilots were the ones who used their knowledge, experience, and skills to ensure they didn't get into trouble in the first place. Same thing with these "cannonballers." They may have great skills and planning, but they are one flat tire (or deer in the road, unsignaled lane change, etc...) from making headlines with a fiery crash. Keep the racing to the tracks.

Greg
Old 12-04-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I had similar experiences during my amateur auto racing days. After driving to my limits on the track, I had no need or desire to drive fast on the street. I think auto racing made me a much safer driver by substantially raising my situational awareness. I looked at every other road user as someone who would unexpectedly put my life and safety at risk. When the unexpected did happen, I nearly always had an escape plan in mind and the skills to execute the plan.

Greg
Agreed. Those skills are quite useful on the bike too...and I think I (we) probably cultivated them first on our two wheelers.

One of my favorite tracks, by the way, is not far from you.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-04-2019, 11:34 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
While it was fun to run at 248kph a couple of times on the autobahn we came to the conclusion that to cover 300 miles or more our elapsed time was shortest if we kept our speed at no more than 100mph. This was due to the tremendous increase in fuel consumption due to drag at higher speeds than 100mph. The extra consumption required extra fuel stops negating any hoped-for advantage of driving faster.
That's interesting. On my first trip to Germany, the taxi driver moved to the left and maintained 160-170kph. After sending a picture of the speedo to my brother (of course) I thought there must be a reason why he was keeping it in that zone. I hadn't thought about optimal speed + fuel consumption.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
One of my favorite tracks, by the way, is not far from you.
Watkins Glen is a blast, on four wheels or two. There was a bike race held there for years. It was my favorite road race of the year, held annually around the summer solstice so that we could race until nearly 9PM. I could usually ride the boot faster than anyone else in my pack based on my auto racing experience. Hit turn 6 just right and you could coast halfway through turn 7 without turning a pedal. I'm the knucklehead on the right, dragging the masters pack down the main straight.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FLCR 2016_007.jpg (113.2 KB, 161 views)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:42 AM
what's a little rust?

^^^ thread drift, but how did you feel about the track surface when you were on a bike? I used to race at SIR (now Pacific Raceway, outside of Seattle). I really enjoyed the twisty parts and the uphill stretches as I was a skinny kid, but it was a downright tire-marble-and-car-fluid-enhanced skating rink in the rain. Of course, the main straight was also a drag strip.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:00 PM

Assuming that all the stop time was required for refueling, they could have shaved off at least another 7 minutes using a TDI
Old 12-04-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
^^^ thread drift, but how did you feel about the track surface when you were on a bike? I used to race at SIR (now Pacific Raceway, outside of Seattle). I really enjoyed the twisty parts and the uphill stretches as I was a skinny kid, but it was a downright tire-marble-and-car-fluid-enhanced skating rink in the rain. Of course, the main straight was also a drag strip.
Watkins Glen is/was generally smooth for a bike race course. Prior to repaving in 2015-2016, there were a few areas where pavement joints were a bit sketchy. The toe of the boot was the worst since you went in to it at speed and then climbed steeply for a short distance. I had a rear wheel slide out enough in that corner to require some quick bike handling to stay upright. After the new pavement, it was an absolute joy to ride. Smooth, wide, no dogs and no cars!

As you noted, rain was an entirely different experience. The 2015 race was held under intermittent rain showers. The rain stopped around the same time as the first races finished. The first round of races had so many crashes that the second round was delayed 30 minutes to allow all the ambulances to return from the local hospital. When my field was on the start grid, the rain started again. Having driven cars on wet tracks, I warned my teammates to stay on the front and be very careful holding their lines. As we finished lap one, I heard that terrible combination of sounds that meant a big crash behind me. A lap later, I found out one of my teammates had hit the deck hard and was on his way to the hospital. Fortunately, he was not seriously injured - just the "usual" broken collarbone. We all ended up at the hospital checking on our injured friend. Nearly every bed in the emergency room was occupied by a bike racer...

Greg
Old 12-04-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c40_guy View Post
i've spent some time on auto racetracks (hpde, not competition), and a really curious thing happens when you leave to go home.

amen!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Okay it's really dumb but the first "race " was when I was in H.S. in '71 and a buddy and I poured over Car and Driver every month. Brock Yates wrote for the magazine and he was very entertaining.

He's his article from a later race:

https://www.cottonowens.com/archives/Cannonball_Run.php

Yates knew it was dumb and pulled the plug on it when when it was gaining popularity before something bad happened, like dying.

I'm amazed these guys made such a fast time. Lots of inside info, luck and planning. Plus, one heck of a car.