Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It is irresponsible I would have to say but then so is free solo climbing and the idiots that do that too are worthy of praise.
Yeah, but unless you happen to be standing directly below them when they fall, the only danger is to themselves. On the other hand, people respectfully using public roads are all endangered by behavior like this.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceOdyssey View Post
Doesn’t anyone remember the Cannonball Baker Memorial Sea to Shining Sea Trophy Dash?

Car and Driver organized a “race” from coast to coast on public roads.

A buddy of mine did it. He was a DNF with 3 speeding tickets in Ohio and a night in jail.

The movie Cannonball Run was loosely based on the real event.
Yes--this is the continuation of the same 'event'.

The original was Brock Yates with Dan Gurney driving a Ferrari...

These guys were smarter--a honked up AMG Merc that looked like an econo box. They also used a lot of spotters and a pilot car/moto at one pont.

FWIW, this has been going on since the 1930s (Cannonball Baker), was revived by C&D in the '70s--and there has not been a single accident or fatality associated with the event--ever.

And yes--I miss the Autobahn!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:39 AM

great read and thanks for posting..."breakin' the law!"...love the spotter angle and the whole community feel therein...we need more of this sorta stuff...
Old 12-04-2019, 09:10 AM
Administrator

gumball!!!

w.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Gumball.jpeg (25.3 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by William; 12-04-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
/\ you missing out. Its a pretty great article.

And although I see peoples point about putting people in danger, I see people putting others in danger every week and they are going the speed limit so this does not bother me a lot, these guys are good drivers and that AMG can go safely at that speed... it was built for that. I don't think people should do this but I am not mad at it.
Completely agree. These guys know how the drive and the majority of population doesn’t. Real danger is from clueless folks who shouldn’t be behind a wheel in the first place. Love how they disguised that AMG to look like a trusty Honda at first glance.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:12 AM
ZhugeLiang

Excellent piece of writing, great stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 612B116A-228E-414C-B3B6-2989100901CD.jpg (84.5 KB, 159 views)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
also, how on earth do you get away with doing something so totally illegal, bragging about it on the internet, along with GPS verified proof and not face legal consequences?
I don't know about these guys, but the previous record holders fully documented everything (including hiring a film crew), but did not release anything or make any public announcements until after all the statuates of limitations expired on any laws they broke. So it was a few years before they launched their publicity tour.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
.... these guys are good drivers and that AMG can go safely at that speed... it was built for that.
There is a difference between driving at that speed and stopping. One idiot going 70 mph pulling into the left lane without looking, and the AMG has to slow from 140.... there is no magic to stopping. It is the friction of the tires against the road.

Hard to say any car can go safely when it is traveling at speeds 50% higher than other vehicles around it.

That said, I don't have much of a problem with it. I'd love to hear more about how they chose start times and which route they chose to avoid rush hours and other traffic issues. I mean, driving on the highway in Kansas is completely different than driving the last 10 miles in LA.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:27 AM

they shouldve done this on earth day.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:28 AM

Maybe they are great drivers......but......stuff happens beyond their control.

Slow drivers doing dumb things in front of them....animals appearing from nowhere....unexpected road conditions....unexpected mechanical issues, etc.

The level of their conceit is amazing.....to think they believe they are such great drivers the rules (and risks) don't apply to them. Or that what I mentioned above can't happen to such great drivers.

Driving those speeds on public roads is just dumb and dangerous. And it's not just the risk to themselves. Hope they go to jail.

Good read though.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Knew a guy who owned a BMW dealership in the early 80s in Virgina Beach that 'crewed' in a car every year for this, one of 'his' cars. A VERY big deal..
Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 AM

Their video is pretty interesting. It is very clear that their success comes from exceptional planning, coordination, calculation, cooperation, awareness, etc. The actual fast driving is assumed of course, but it seems almost secondary to the organizational aspects.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
The level of their conceit is amazing.....to think they believe they are such great drivers the rules (and risks) don't apply to them. Or that what I mentioned above can't happen to such great drivers.
Good drivers are fully aware of the risks.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenmeister View Post
Their video is pretty interesting. It is very clear that their success comes from exceptional planning, coordination, calculation, cooperation, awareness, etc. The actual fast driving is assumed of course, but it seems almost secondary to the organizational aspects.
No kidding.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:48 AM

I feel conflicted about this too, but their preparation is impressive. And regarding AngryScientist's question, yeah I'm a bit surprised. One of the original "winners" waited a year before coming out.

Quote:
After Alex Roy set the transcontinental driving record, he waited a year to come forward – until the statute of limitations expired on every single illegal act he committed.
Closed Thread