Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 08:13 AM
Yours truly

I would buy a Tesla truck, obviously not a first gen model.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:10 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
...Fleet trucks are a small slice of the truck pie. ...
In 2018, light truck fleet sales made up over 17% of overall sales. That’s not that small of a slice.

Anecdotal, but in my neighborhood, lots of truck owners haul their boats and off-road toys all summer. The issue with e-vehicles is any sort of heavier load cuts down the range significantly. Maybe the east coast is ok since there are lakes a stone’s throw from your homes but doesn’t work for out west.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
You can already do that in the current trucks. I mean, the thing is basically a generator.
https://www.pressurewashersdirect.co...her/p1065.html

Thats my point. A big generator without the generator issues. No need for a bunch of gas powered small engines to maintain... My bet is it will find a niche market - for those who can look past sloping armor.

Last edited by Dekonick; 11-25-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
In 2018, light truck fleet sales made up over 17% of overall sales. That’s not that small of a slice.

Anecdotal, but in my neighborhood, lots of truck owners haul their boats and off-road toys all summer. The issue with e-vehicles is any sort of heavier load cuts down the range significantly. Maybe the east coast is ok since there are lakes a stone’s throw from your homes but doesn’t work for out west.
Yes, light truck fleet sales represent a healthy number. So depending on the economics of buying an EV truck vs a standard gas or diesel powered truck for local activities, there may be potential for it. With regards to people pulling boats, motorcycles and the such, I'm not sure it's much different on the east coast. The power drain will be much higher pulling a boat, and charging facilities at lakes will be scarce, if at all. The people pulling boats, motorcycles, trailers and the such have the financial means, and they are not likely to move to some hip vehicle unless it has advantages over that which already exists. For instance, if the Tesla has a superior 4WD (or AWD) then it may be worth considering. But we don't know this yet. Elon may tell people that it has the best AWD system in the civilized world...but he also said it had bulletproof glass and it didn't. And he said his cars are very reliable yet Consumer Reports says that is simply not true. We will just have to wait and see.

Last edited by rnhood; 11-25-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:27 PM

Are you saying the tight jean wearing, shiny clean Timberland boot wearer rocking a new F150 Raptor or Lariat to haul a bag of water softener salts isn't worthy of such a steed?

Quote:
This is the market for 95% of all pickups. Fleet trucks are a small slice of the truck pie. Pickups have become a symbol of who the driver wants to be seen as....well that is true of many vehicles. My town is full of office workers with pickups that are cleaner than an operating room and never haul anything bigger or heavier than a large package of toilet paper from Costco. With the price of the trucks and the fuel I am amazed at the amount of money spent to own and operate.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:05 PM

That thing is an abomination. Musk has lost his mind.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:32 PM
Classics Fan

At a Tesla meeting 3 weeks ago...

Elon: Let's throw a metal sphere at the window to demonstrate it is bullet proof!!

VP of Engineering:
Old 11-26-2019, 08:31 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Are you saying the tight jean wearing, shiny clean Timberland boot wearer rocking a new F150 Raptor or Lariat to haul a bag of water softener salts isn't worthy of such a steed?

One bag: Hard No

Two bags: Yes.

Does he also have a red plaid shirt, beard, and hair cut with shaved sides and longer hair on top? If so, he is the target demographic.

Last edited by Black Dog; 11-26-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:15 PM

Bingo!

I forgot to add hauling a bag of organic artisinal dried dog food. Wait, make that two bags.

Quote:
One bag: Hard No

Two bags: Yes.

Does he also have a red plaid shirt, beard, and hair cut with shaved sides and longer hair on top? If so, he is the target demographic.

Tags
cybertruck, deathmachines