Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
base tundra 4x4 with 5.7L is 36k out the door before you start negotiating. spend a couple grand and a few hours in the garage and you have a fully locked 4x4 truck that can haul and go anywhere you want and doesn't look terrible for less than this Tesla monstrosity. just imo, it's not very pretty. Not to mention you can actually fix the gasser when you break it out in the sticks. Will be fun to see Tesla road side assistance make their way through death valley when something gives. I love the feeling of instant torque from electric motors and I hope Tesla can make this one reliable and design it a bit different down the road when I'm ready to upgrade to electric. They should definitely go for a more square body style since they have an electric motor and are less inhibited by aerodynamics to meet EPA guidelines
I think we’re all making the mistake of comparing a 4x4 to these electric trucks.

First off 4x4 is a completely different category. You cant tow, jump start, trail fix, etc any of these electrics. So off-roading or using a truck for camping is strictly for the gas guys.

I could see the electric being really nice for a fleet vehicle for a construction company, but that’s about it. The inconveniences are just to much.

Last edited by jtakeda; 11-22-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:35 AM

Two things jump out at me (besides whether or not it is FUGLY):

1. You can't reach over the bed to get things out. You have to climb in from the back. Good luck if you have full bed and need to get to the tool box. Of course, it doesn't look like you can attach one. Problem solved!

2. Like the model 3, it will be very late and way more expensive.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:39 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I think we’re all making the mistake of comparing a 4x4 to these electric trucks.

First off 4x4 is a completely different category. You can tow, jump start, trail fix, etc any of these electrics. So off-roading or using a truck for camping is strictly for the gas guys.

I could see the electric being really nice for a fleet vehicle for a construction company, but that’s about it. The inconveniences are just to much.
Maybe for very light work construction. I wonder how long that battery would last towing 10k lbs. in the dead middle of winter.

I’d say aside from that, service vehicles (pest control, parts run truck, handyman, etc), and weekend project use (think Honda Ridgeline), it’d be an ideal platform.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:48 AM

So for me who is not in the know..

Are those ppl that scream over the top of the applause in these new car releases and such brought in to do just that? You know they scream stuff like: Holy crap, yeah man, wow, take my money etc. Cant really see myself doing that and have a hard time thinking of a person that i know of that would, not even if it were bikes involved..

So are the reaction just fake? It seem so obvious and dumb but perhaps im wrong..
Old 11-22-2019, 09:51 AM
hoolered

PS1 graphics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E8CC11FB-ADBA-4CE0-9054-0034DE6C89C8.jpg (109.6 KB, 207 views)
Old 11-22-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
So for me who is not in the know..

Are those ppl that scream over the top of the applause in these new car releases and such brought in to do just that? You know they scream stuff like: Holy crap, yeah man, wow, take my money etc. Cant really see myself doing that and have a hard time thinking of a person that i know of that would, not even if it were bikes involved..

So are the reaction just fake? It seem so obvious and dumb but perhaps im wrong..
you need t get ut mre, peple are stupid as hell.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I’d say aside from that, service vehicles (pest control, parts run truck, handyman, etc), and weekend project use (think Honda Ridgeline), it’d be an ideal platform.
maybe weekend project use, but service vehicles like pest control or parts run trucks are generally on the road 10+ hours a day, all day. that's not going to work for an EV right now.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
you need t get ut mre, peple are stupid as hell.
lol.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:57 AM

I'm only wondering if this could make the Bollinger truck any cheaper? It is also ugly, but in a usable way, imo. I have a deposit in to hold my place in line, but when they announced $125k ? That is crazy money. I can get three loaded tacos for that. I feel like the way to electric trucks is to electrify current trucks.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:03 AM

You can't pull the rear driveshaft when you blow an axle and drive it home on the front. I think it will take away some market share from the cool dad $50k tacoma crew with trd badging that likes to drive their truck to and from the office and park at a campsite in Joshua tree. I can't see even using it as a work truck, accessibility looks poor and you can't really add rails or any kind of custom cages to carry specific equipment.

the Bollinger is the real deal unfortunately no one will ever pay that kind of money for it, I doubt it will EVER be released before they go bankrupt, no matter how optimistic their claims are. if anything they will do one run and be bought out or close down. their battery tech is generations behind Tesla.

Last edited by cinema; 11-22-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:09 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
maybe weekend project use, but service vehicles like pest control or parts run trucks are generally on the road 10+ hours a day, all day. that's not going to work for an EV right now.
I was thinking a scenario where you trade trucks. Back in college, I did pest control and would often head back to home base once or twice a day. Lots of stops so you’re really not “on the road” 10hrs. But cost/benefit of having a truck sit charging half a day probably not beneficial. Although, 1 hr lunch break means you’re charged 80-90%.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:11 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
"...I'm only wondering if this could make the Bollinger truck any cheaper?..."
Could you post a much larger pic of the Bollinger truck so we can see it more clearly?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:16 AM
Randomhead

The number of pickups I see that have ever had any load at all in the back is pretty low. Those people are buying trucks out of a fairly deeply set insecurity (recent surveys about conservation bear this out). So they aren't going to buy this Tesla truck. There is a fairly large group of rabid Tesla supporters, so maybe they will buy the truck.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:18 AM

looks like it has the aerodynamics of a barn door
Old 11-22-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Maybe for very light work construction. I wonder how long that battery would last towing 10k lbs. in the dead middle of winter.

Oh yes. I should’ve made that clear. This thing probably isn’t towing or loading up 10k.

Tags
cybertruck, deathmachines