Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Did anyone check on Marc Gasol yet? He was last seen chugging an entire bottle of wine, followed by a beer chaser and fighting with a tree on top of a bus.

Is he up yet? Maybe he needs an ibuprofen? Maybe an IV?
Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 AM

This is an exhausting July in the NBA... and it's only June 19!

Grit'n'grind officially over in Memphis as Conley gets traded to the Jazz. I love this trade for the Jazz - I think they are a top 3 seed next year.

Also, Houston has ID'd their target for a 3rd max player to add to their lame-duck, conflict avoiding head coach, passive-aggressive ball-dominant MVP candidate and notoriously cranky, aging-not-so gracefully point guard: famous chemistry-improver Jimmy Butler!
Old 06-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
This is an exhausting July in the NBA... and it's only June 19!

Grit'n'grind officially over in Memphis as Conley gets traded to the Jazz. I love this trade for the Jazz - I think they are a top 3 seed next year.

Also, Houston has ID'd their target for a 3rd max player to add to their lame-duck, conflict avoiding head coach, passive-aggressive ball-dominant MVP candidate and notoriously cranky, aging-not-so gracefully point guard: famous chemistry-improver Jimmy Butler!
As part of his contract with Houston, Butler is demanding a starring role in the insurance commercials. He's already pissing Harden off.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
...Also, Houston has ID'd their target for a 3rd max player to add to their lame-duck, conflict avoiding head coach, passive-aggressive ball-dominant MVP candidate and notoriously cranky, aging-not-so gracefully point guard: famous chemistry-improver Jimmy Butler!
This yielded quite the morning coffee snort, thanks Jaybee! Sending to my brother in H'town.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:20 PM

I'm still not a Jimmy Butler fan, at all. Laker fans are screaming for him and I'm like "Why?"

I was never a huge fan of the Lakers imploding the entire roster for a player who can barely last a full season, in the current NBA with resting players.

gonna be an interesting season for sure.

Last edited by denapista; 07-01-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 PM

I guess the thinking is that they need a 3rd top tier player to really have a shot at a title? I'm no Butler fan either, but for all the jokes I made at his expense after the Philly trade, there wasn't much in the way of chemistry issues there and he was definitely their second best player in the playoffs. I see a basketball fit there, but I think the Lakers would be way better off turning their remaining 30ish M (depending on when the trade finalizes) looking for a couple 15M guys instead of one max guy. That might at least give them 5 guys who belong on the court in a playoff game, depending on your opinion of Kuzma. They are gonna have g-league players from the 8th guy on down.

You are correct that their roster will be so top heavy that they won't be able to afford to rest AD and Bron too much, even against the Phoenix and Memphis type teams.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:28 PM

any thoughts on where Kawhi will land next season? hoping back to the raps for back to back.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 AM

How/why did Bol Bol fall so far in the draft?
Old 06-21-2019, 02:25 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
From the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/20/s...s-results.html

(2nd paragraph is the relevant section)

Quote:
44. Heat: Bol Bol, C, Oregon

Unlike his father, Manute, Bol Bol is more than just a shot-blocking savant. His standing reach of 9 feet 7.5 inches makes him even more imposing than his 7-2 height would suggest and in limited action in college he averaged 21 points and 9.6 rebounds a game. He has as fluid of movement as you’re likely to see in a player of his size and a surprising shooting touch at every level that made him especially deadly since no player can effectively get in his face to guard him. Considered a top-20 player on many draft boards, he was left in the green room on the floor of Barclays Center deep into the second round and his selection was greeted with raucous cheers by the crowd.

His durability is a real concern — he played just nine games in college — and the rigors of a long season could be too much for him to handle. That lack of physical endurance could help explain why he also seemed to lack consistent effort when he was on the court. But unlike Tacko Fall, an even larger player who is seen as something of an anachronism, Bol has the skill to succeed in the modern game. It seems like he’ll just need to want to do the extra work to make it happen.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:59 AM

LOL lakers. They are really pushing the boundaries of “team who gets the best player wins the trade”.

Meanwhile, David Griffin in NO is building your 2023 NBA champions.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
He’s enormously talented, but sooo skinny. And I don’t think he has a frame to add muscle, just like his dad.

I hope I’m wrong, but I bet he is out of the league in 4 years.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
He’s enormously talented, but sooo skinny. And I don’t think he has a frame to add muscle, just like his dad.

I read people are also questioning his desire to play.... which I read put on muscle.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I read people are also questioning his desire to play.... which I read put on muscle.
I hate this narrative. The dude is just genetically skinny. He could do 13000 calories a day and hit the gym 3x, and he would still be skinny.

It’s not a character flaw
Old 06-21-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Sure. But let’s be real 3/4 of the draft class are irrelevant after 4 years. He fell pretty far in the draft and I’m surprised no one took the risk sooner
Old 06-21-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Sure. But let’s be real 3/4 of the draft class are irrelevant after 4 years. He fell pretty far in the draft and I’m surprised no one took the risk sooner
Same. He was productive in college, when he played. Denver did well.