Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM

Backpack sizing

I am looking for a backpack for bike commuting and am having trouble calculating how many liters I need.

I would typically be packing work clothes (shoes, pants, shirt/sweater, maybe a coat or jacket), a 15" laptop, and maybe lunch.

I would appreciate a guesstimate on what size I need, thanks.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:42 PM

I carry pretty much the same as you and use a Freitag Clapton which is about 18L.

I have had the Rapha Commuter bag, various Timbuk2 bags, and the Freitag is just as comfortable. It's close to the size of my old Rapha bag (more compact).
Old 12-02-2019, 04:12 PM

20l
Old 12-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Here is visual of what I ordinarily pack on my commute. Thule Pack n Pedal is listed at 24L but with the roll top you can vary the girth, if you will, according to what you’re commuting with. I stupidly (that a word) have to have tablet as well as laptop for work and sometimes pack lunch (not pictured).

I went through the Goldilocks saga of finding commuter back and keep coming back to my Thule. Great design to aid airflow to back, water resistant, uber durable, and nice little touches throughout.

The first thing I said about this bag when I first got it was “you can tell it was designed by actual rider” instead of a design team.

My .02 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 04:50 PM

I've used a 25L backpack for commuting and I wouldn't go any smaller than that. It's a Timbuk2 with a roll top, which buys me a little flexibility. I would typically carry laptop, change of clothes, spare tube/pump/tools, and lunch.
Shoes eat up a lot of space in a backpack. As do jackets/sweatshirts/etc. I could fit everything in my 25L backpack, but it was often tight. if I were to buy a new one, I'd go a little larger.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:53 PM

Just to add one more thing. Of any design, I would HIGHLY, highly recommend roll top. Oh and make sure said roll top has zipper.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:00 PM

2200 cu.in., or 36 liters. That's what I used.

Piece of advice; leave the shoes at work if you can or buy a pair you can leave at work. Wear shoes that don't need polishing, or leave a polish kit at work. Shoes take up too much space.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:09 PM

I use a 1800 cubic inch kelty to commute. Typically pack lunch, shirts, pants, socks, unmentionables . Could fit shoes but will usually just strap to rack.