Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 11:46 PM

So i thought was not going to work...

So, had this idea about a triple 10 speed campy bike because of having to walk like 4 times going uphill in the last century i did, went with the wrong gear (my excuse to "dont have the legs") so the idea had been moving around my head for a while...need a f... triple for this ride in specific!...

My issue was the parts, specially the RD and the FD for a triple...

so tonite mocked the built, put a triple chorus crankset with a symmetric 111 BB and is perfect and IMO would be better maybe with a 109 symmetric BB in this bike in specific. But thats just me.

Left the potenza FD and RD (medium cage) that was in the bike already and added a set of chorus 10 brifters.

For the record tried the potenza group with the triple and the brifter needs maybe 2 more clicks, i was able to ramp the chain into the 53 but since i was out of clicks the chain did not stay in position. If somebody makes that piece for a few extra clicks, that guy could be into something because would be super cool to be able to do triple with any 11 and maybe even 12 speeds groups.

So far the FD worked flawless and the rd aswell, thought was not going to work. Still need to try in the street but so far in the stand worked perfectly. have a triple campy FD and I do not know if to put that one instead, but so far the potenza FD shift like a champ. The only detail is that in the tiny chainring position the cable touches the FD spring area, probably will scratch it or something, the reason is because of the arm position, probably that doesnt happen with the comp triple FD i got for this built.

And I thought was not going to work at all!...
Old 12-05-2019, 12:01 AM

Ok
Old 12-05-2019, 12:17 AM

Have you tried 50/34 and an 11- X>34 cassette? even 34/34 is bigger than 30/29 you can get from a tripple campy.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:00 AM
aka RAEKWON

Or he could get a 46-30 crank, 32 cassete on the potenza and sub 1.

I think triples are cool but with so many gearing options now a days really no reason to mess with them.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:32 AM

I've been using a 50/40/30 triple for a couple of years. A lot of big rides in my legs on that thing. Prior to this, I used a 50/34, but was always searching for a gear that didn't exist. The triple allows a quasi racing double with alpine and D2R2 gearing when needed. Q is at 154 so not too bad. I also have a 28t small ring for stupid stuff, but I guess I've been smart enough not to need it yet. At this point, I can't wrap my head around a one-by with massive gaps between gear intervals. This may be a hang-over from my competitive days when a one tooth cog change was a significant difference.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
I've been using a 50/40/30 triple for a couple of years. A lot of big rides in my legs on that thing. Prior to this, I used a 50/34, but was always searching for a gear that didn't exist. The triple allows a quasi racing double with alpine and D2R2 gearing when needed. Q is at 154 so not too bad. I also have a 28t small ring for stupid stuff, but I guess I've been smart enough not to need it yet. At this point, I can't wrap my head around a one-by with massive gaps between gear intervals. This may be a hang-over from my competitive days when a one tooth cog change was a significant difference.
This is where I'm at these days as well--and you can run that front with a medium cage rear, although I think my rear is a 12-26. I too like the spacing--and I ride it like a regular double and the small front is the bail-out ring.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
put a triple chorus crankset with a symmetric 111 BB and is perfect and IMO would be better maybe with a 109 symmetric BB in this bike in specific. But thats just me.
Surprised that the RH crank arm or small ring isn't too close to the RH chainstay. Record Chorus BBs are 111mm and asymmetrical
Quote:
Left the potenza FD and RD (medium cage) that was in the bike already and added a set of chorus 10 brifters.
And a double FD is 'deep' enough to get the chain from the 30 to the 42? Campag 10s ERGO does make it all a little easier tho..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-05-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:16 AM

Chorus and Record 10 speed Campy triples use Asymmetrical 111 BB. Not symmetrical. Approx 3 mm more offset on non drive side. Those triples used the same non drive side crank arm as Chorus/Record doubles....so used the BB axle to offset. Later Centaur based Campy triples (Centaur, Comp triple, etc) had a "dog leg" in the non drive side triple crank arm, and used the symmetrical BB.

Am surprised you got a double Fd to work across 3 rings. Not so much the cage width but travel.

You can use a 111 ISO symmetrical BB with adjustable cups both sides and shift the whole crank to the left some and probably make it work (though drive side may rub). Doubt if you can shift it 3 MM though. Can do some more with cleat placement.

Last edited by Ralph; 12-05-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Probably wont be trying this anytime soon but kudos for your ingenuity!
Old 12-05-2019, 09:21 AM

Put a miche iso 111 (they dont make them anymore in iso just in case) i had destined for a record C crankset. I thought the same thing than you guys, that the fit was going to be weird because i knew the BB needed to be assymmetrical but fit perfectly. The miche is like campagnolo, not adjustable sides or anything.

I can send you a picture with the spacing potato, because there's still room in there that's why I was thinking that maybe a 109 symmetrical could be better but looks like is all ok.

Yesterday found a site from a guy that compares the 111 campy triple BBs and he pretty much went symmetrical aswell and no problems either, personally measured the distance from the stays to the crankset/pedal area and is the same at both sides, the Q factor is off a few mm obviously but it worked just fine.

I do agree with merckx, the problem i prsonally have with those humoungous cogs, like 34 up to 40 and even more is that the jumps between one gear and another are way too big... back in my racer days straight block was the way to go for me, and yes.. sometimes half a tooth was needed and sucks when you are in those situations where one cog is going to be tad too much and the other was too light...

Yes the double potenza FD shifted perfectly, i imagine because just needs to move the chain enough for the ramps at the chainrings to pick up? but yeah... worked perfect up and down, thought was going to be rough but shifted like a champ.

If potenza works with campy 10 brifter, means the campy 10 rd will work with potenza brifter??????? anybody have done the test?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:54 AM

Question

The reason you think it could run a 109....IE it sticks out enough....is because with the symmetrical BB the drive side crank sticks out further than it would if you used a asymmetrical BB. And if the drive side was moved in some, your double FD probably wouldn't "come in" enough to make the small ring shift.

it's good you are satisfied.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:40 PM

I ran TA Zephyr 48-38-28 in Chorus 10-speed group with 13-29 cassette just fine.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:49 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
even 34/34 is bigger than 30/29 you can get from a tripple campy.
The Campy triples often come with a 30T small ring but a smaller one will fit. It's a normal 74mm BCD so one can go down to a 24T.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:34 PM
#RYFB

Just in case

Ultra, glad you're happy but in case you prefer to get the "proper" BB I have a Chorus and no use for it:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=230996
Old 12-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
You can use a 111 ISO symmetrical BB with adjustable cups both sides and shift the whole crank to the left some and probably make it work (though drive side may rub). Doubt if you can shift it 3 MM though. Can do some more with cleat placement.
I wouldn't worry about it unless something was bothering me about the pedal stroke. People rarely notice slight q asymmetry. In the days of adjustable bottom brackets with 3-piece spindles, it was common practice for bike manufacturers to select asymmetric spindles to minimize overall q-factor.

This morning I rode 47 miles on a bike that's about 1cm wider on the DS than the NDS, it pedals great.

Quote:
Am surprised you got a double Fd to work across 3 rings. Not so much the cage width but travel.
The parallelogram length on lots of double FDs is adequate to sweep across a triple. Back in the day there wasn't even a difference: people used the same derailleurs for double and triple drivetrains, and just set the limits wider for a triple.