Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM

Wheelset query: Campy and Bonti

This coming spring am getting myself a new set of wheels. I might be doing some limited local racing, and have tracked my sight on 2 different sets.

*DISCLAIMER*
DON'T TALK ME INTO CARBON. Can't justify thousands and don't feel like swapping brake pads.

One set I'm looking at is the Campy Zonda C17, clincher, shimano spline, rim width 23mm. *NOT* tubeless compatible, but it being campy (as i owned campy wheels before), it'll be well built and nearly indestructible. It's also light at 1550 grams.

The other set is Bontrager Paradigm Comp, weighing in at 1580 grams, 25mm wide, tubeless. The Bontis are used, but as new as it gets as the owner (who I know well) rode it very sparingly. I also own a set of Bontis TLR RL model. I trust Bontrager as a decent manufacturer.

Both will cost me around $300-$400, and I'm leaning towards the Zonda. I plan to make it a super light set with Vittoria tires and tubolito tubes. I know this set spins up fast, is very stiff and a joy to ride.

The Bontrager is *already* set up as tubeless with dedicated Bontrager tires and sealant. I know the quality but have to concede i'm minimally curious about owning a pair of tubeless wheels. I also understand that swapping tubed wheels with a sealant one is basically the same weight-wise, and that a tubeless set has self-repairing capabilities and the ride is significantly improved.

The wheels would go on a Supersix evo w etap. I'm about 74-75kgs during the season, would race as a mid pack Cat 3 locally.

On one hand I look forward to a set of zippy, quick hoops, but am ambivalent as I might be missing out on the opportunity of stepping into the future with a tubeless set that I know may provide plenty of happy kms.

Anyone with similar experiences would like to chime in?

Am not looking for Boyds, carbon, Zipp, etc. Am weighing the pros and cons of these 2 sets *only*.

Thanks guys.

G
Old 12-04-2019, 12:40 PM

I've had a very good experience with the Zondas. With Vittoria latex tubes and 25c Corsa G+ tires the ride is a nice balance of smooth and fast.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
I've had a very good experience with the Zondas. With Vittoria latex tubes and 25c Corsa G+ tires the ride is a nice balance of smooth and fast.
+1. Same setup here. Works great for the price.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Older Than You

I really like Zondas.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Zondas. They are rock solid wheels.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:07 PM

It sounds like this is for a road bike with rim brakes. Right now, I don't think that road tubeless is clearly better than tubed clinchers, unlike on gravel bikes and MTBs. Moreover, you can use latex or Tubolito tubes to get basically the same rolling resistance as an equivalent tubeless tire.

Even considering that road tubeless is going to evolve from here, I think you'd be justified in ignoring tubeless compatibility. Especially considering that you presumably can fit 28mm tires at max, maybe slightly wider. We all know the benefits of tubeless are bigger for wider tires.

I just realized the Zonda should have an internal width of 17mm. The Bontrager wheels should be 19mm internal. I went from a 17mm to a 19mm ID wheelset this year. Both rode just fine. I guess that if it were me, I'd go for the Paradigms, but it's not a strong preference. To be honest, I didn't find that 2mm difference in ID to be noticeable.

Last edited by weiwentg; 12-05-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:09 PM

I have Zondas on both of my bikes and really like them.

Fulcrum racing 3 disc brake wheels can be had with a tubeless compatible rim and are the equivalent of the Zonda, as far as hub quality. It's interesting that the rim brake model in not tubeless compatible.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:26 PM

I know you said this repeatedly, but if you're racing crits...deeper carbon rims yo.

Even carbon faired alloy rims will do you better than the Zondas.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Not a robot

Zonda