Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 11:23 AM

I've had great luck with Mavic Ti skewers

Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Yes! Maybe because I ride 7 days a week in Manhattan all year but a Tune skewer let go from the end.......Plus the difference in front end stiffness with the Aces was rather noticeable .......
Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Have you had a skewer fail? I've used a variety of "traditional" and ultra-light skewers, and maybe I'm just lucky, but after over a 100,000 miles, I've never had one fail.
I’ve had 2 fail, pulled the threads of the skewer(not nut), when installing, not riding, not gonna tell ya the brand...
Old 12-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Have you had a skewer fail? I've used a variety of "traditional" and ultra-light skewers, and maybe I'm just lucky, but after over a 100,000 miles, I've never had one fail.
I have witnessed two fail over the years. Both resulted in crashes.
First: front skewer in a crit. - I was spectating after my own race and it occurred right in front of me on a straight. Rod broke at the threads. Rider got some road rash.

Second: Rear skewer on a steep descent, rider in front of me around corner from me. Rider was off the side of the road, rear wheel nowhere to be seen. Found the rear wheel off the side of the road maybe 100yrds further down the hill. Found part of skewer on the opposite side of the road just uphill from the rider - rod had broken again at threads, and had apparently shot out of the axle. Rider had obviously hit his head, was dazed and confused, got an ambulance ride. Happened to be a descent after a hillclimb event.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I've witnessed just one skewer failure myself but it was memorable.

In a bunch sprint, a rider's rear wheel locked up and he fishtailed all over the road but somehow kept it upright. Everyone else managed to safely get out of the way. You could smell the burning rubber. Afterwards the guy messaged our group that his skewer broke, but I don't know what model it was.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
I've been using Tune skewers, the front is made of aluminum...

https://www.eightyonespices.com.au/p...4-road-skewers
the ac14 seem to have vanished from the current portfolio, but i remember only the road version had an aluminum shaft, the MTB were both Ti; as are the current ones.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:26 PM

I found Mavic ti skewers to flex too much and when sprinting or climbing I would get some tire rub on the non dive side. Maybe I am laying down some massive watts but more likely it’s due to my weight lol. Any way no more issues once I switched back to a steel skewer. Just my observation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 04:36 PM

The only skewer failures that I can recall having were Ti - both American Classics. Both had axle ends break off during rides. No harm done as both were rear skewers. However, I don't see the need for Ti skewers, other than to find another reason to spend cash on something. It's the old cliche - I'm carrying 20lbs more than I want to, and obsessing about a few grams in my skewers...well, you know.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:54 PM

I wonder how many skewer failures were from misuse? I was on a ride in which one of the riders had a skewer failure - but I have a strong suspicion it was due to misuse. The rider was behind me when he hit a pothole, after which the front wheel separated from the bike, causing him to do a faceplant on the pavement. Sadly, he broke a few bones in his face in the fall.

Just 2 days prior, I had been on another ride with the same rider, when I noticed that his front wheel was very crooked in the fork. When I pointed this out to him, he corrected it by opening the skewer, seating the axle fully in the dropouts, and then re-closing the skewer. This corrected the problem, and he mumbled something about being in a hurry when he put the wheel in. When the axle is not seated in the droputs, the skewer was taking most of the loading on the wheel/axle, which it is not designed to do. I didn't examine the rider's bike two days later on the ride in which the skewer failed, but if he had mis-installed his front wheel like this again (or if he skewer had been weakened by this misuse in the past), it could have been the cause of the breakage.

I've witnessed many other instances of skewer misusage by other riders(leaving them open, tightening them by using the lever like a wing-nut, mounting wheels crooked wheels, etc.), and I think that many riders are too complacent about proper usage. Many get away with it, but some don't. While I am not a fan of disc brakes on road bikes, I do believe that thru-axles are probably a better solution for many riders than quick release skewers, because there are fewer ways to misuse thru-axles.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
I've broken two Ti skewers but I probably just overtightened them with my super-strength. This is what happens when I can't use one of my torque wrenches.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Im in the 6 figure mileage in last 35 years no failures either.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I wonder how many skewer failures were from misuse?
I wonder the same thing, but for the fact that I haven't (yet) had a steel skewer failure. That and I'd like to hope that after almost 30 years of riding, I know how to properly use a skewer.

It was hard to over-tighten the American Classic skewers because the closing lever was very thin. Kinda hurt the hands to apply too much pressure to it.

I just wonder if Ti has a shorter fatigue life when used in this manner, versus steel. What property is being stressed in a skewer? Ductility?

Maybe some of it is also the weight of the rider. I'm not a small dude.