Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2021, 07:39 PM

Anyone try putting a disc fork on a rim-brake road frame?

I've got an older road frame that has decent tire clearance and fender mounts, but the fork has limited clearance and no fender mounts. I'm toying with the idea of turning it into a fendered commuter by getting a new fork for it, something disc, with eyelets, and room for a fender and at least a 25. So it would have a cable-actuated disc brake in front, and a rim brake in back.

Has anybody on PL ever tried such a frankenstein, and if so, how did it work?

Anyone know a source for a straight 1 1/8 fork, disc, with eyelets? QR is fine, but a thru axle could work too. I bet Soma has a steel one, and Wound-Up probably has a nice spendy carbon one, but I haven't really started looking yet.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:29 PM

Personally I'm fine with rim brakes but...I have wondered why more folks have not tried what you mentioned.

For instance many motorcycle companies started out with disc front brake but kept drum read brakes for years...Same for cars disc front drum rears

So why didn't the bicycle industry offer the same as an alternative? Disc front rim rear?

Then folks wouldn't have to buy a new frame or maybe that is why it has not been an option?
Old 01-13-2021, 08:52 PM

Is a mech disc actually going to have better braking power than a good rim brake?

Do you want to run mismatched wheels?

And still you'd have to find a fork that is a match for your frame (axle-crown, rake, steer tube diameter, etc) - which is not a given, as most "road disc" forks have tapered steer tubes and often longer axle crown.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:00 PM

I don't think it's that weird... I've seen a few track bikes with a disc fork on them... so it makes sense to me.

The toughest part might be finding one with small enough tire clearance to not screw up your geometry with a big jump in axle to crown measurement. There are a ton of offerings that will fit 35mm-40mm with a fender, but finding one that is intended for a 32mm without, or 28mm with fender might be tougher...

In a quick search, there are some options, aside from the Surly(straggler?) and Soma(cross fork?) catalog...

Fyxation:
https://www.fyxation.com/collections...ad-carbon-fork

Or keep it rim.... clearance for 32mm tires with mid reach brakes, hidden fender mounts....
https://allcitycycles.com/parts/forks/mr._pink_road
Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 PM

The Mr Pink road fork from All City is probably a better option than a disc fork. I'll echo others that even if you can find a disc fork with the right geo you've got mismatched wheels, mismatched lever feel, and marginally better braking at best. Disc is great, really great. But you're not getting most of the benefits by running a single mechanical disc caliper.

But, to humor you yeah it's definitely compatible. Numbers to look out for are steerer, axle to crown, and to a lesser extent rake/offset.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:46 PM

Yes, a randonneur I know rides an older S&S coupled Calfee, modified with a disc fork and mechanical front disc brake. He started it because of rainy commutes in Canada, but liked it enough that he rides 1200K's with it now.

P.S. I have thought about doing the same to one of my travel bikes, and indeed could one of these days...

Last edited by muz; 01-13-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:25 AM

I'm in the middle of building up a mountain/gravel bike like that...
Old 01-14-2021, 01:17 AM

Ritchey (WCS Carbon Adventure Gravel) and Whisky (No. 7 CX disc straight and No. 9 CX disc 12 straight) both make forks that meet your criteria.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by binouye View Post
I've got an older road frame that has decent tire clearance and fender mounts, but the fork has limited clearance and no fender mounts. I'm toying with the idea of turning it into a fendered commuter by getting a new fork for it, something disc, with eyelets, and room for a fender and at least a 25. So it would have a cable-actuated disc brake in front, and a rim brake in back.

Has anybody on PL ever tried such a frankenstein, and if so, how did it work?

Anyone know a source for a straight 1 1/8 fork, disc, with eyelets? QR is fine, but a thru axle could work too. I bet Soma has a steel one, and Wound-Up probably has a nice spendy carbon one, but I haven't really started looking yet.
For a commuter?..sure, get the axle-crown and rake close and slap it on there.

If 1mm or 1 degree differences in your bike fit bug ya, maybe not but for a commuter..sure. Not hard to find either. If ya have a LBS that deals with J and B(A distributor), they have some by Sunlight and Origin8..