Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 09:32 PM

Cyclist paralyzed in crash awarded $52.5 Million

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/02/1...labor-finders/

This is probably one of the first cycling accidents that I have heard of where the drivers are actually held accountable.

It is horrible what this person went through. He is my age and was hit while commuting from work.

I really hope he sees most of the settlement. It certainly won't fix his paralysis but it will help provide for his family.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 PM
but not really

Sounds like he's only going to get a monetary award because of the first driver's gig employment and employer's policy. No money in the world worth that terrible physical outcome for the victim, but I do hope he sees most of it to help with his and his family's future.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:31 AM
DELETE ACCNT

There's a special place in hell for the second driver that ran over his head and took off.
Lawyer is obviously going after the money, but that second guy should get more than 5 years, which will probably end up 5 months.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:50 PM

Everytime I get over the feeling of "I should quit riding because drivers are too distracted these days" another forum thread pops up like this one. Damn I cant imagine how I would handle that.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREEfool View Post
Everytime I get over the feeling of "I should quit riding because drivers are too distracted these days" another forum thread pops up like this one. Damn I cant imagine how I would handle that.
I hope he and his family can get a decent chunk of that change. Adjusting to that type of lifestyle is sobering.

I agree with you about the dangers of riding, but the flip side of that is the dangers of leading a sedentary lifestyle. My closest call was in broad daylight in a school zone: I was decked out in fluorescent gear and the bike had front and rear lights flashing. Some enormous Ford van was at a stop and tried gunning into the street as I was passing by. I would have been t-boned had they not finally seen me with about 10 feet to go.

At the end of the day, there's some level of danger in most things whether we are aware of it or not.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipmeister View Post
I hope he and his family can get a decent chunk of that change. Adjusting to that type of lifestyle is sobering.

I agree with you about the dangers of riding, but the flip side of that is the dangers of leading a sedentary lifestyle. My closest call was in broad daylight in a school zone: I was decked out in fluorescent gear and the bike had front and rear lights flashing. Some enormous Ford van was at a stop and tried gunning into the street as I was passing by. I would have been t-boned had they not finally seen me with about 10 feet to go.

At the end of the day, there's some level of danger in most things whether we are aware of it or not.
Agree, pay yer $, take yer chances. You can 'what if' yourself out of anything. If road riding makes you freak out, then do something else..not necessarily 'GRoad riding but...

I ride defensively, pick carefully where I ride. Don't do anything suddenly or just plain dumb(run red light?)..don't do anything just cuz I have the law on my side(take the lane foolishness..no need to be 'dead' right)..Use lights during the day...BUT, still fun, still want to do it. NO desire to bounce around on rutted, torn up dirt roads.

BTW-I have been hit by distracted driver..distracted by being asleep at the wheel at 10:30 on a Saturday morning..ouch, but I still ride..