Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2023, 10:59 AM

Has anyone had an issue with the right shifter/rear brake where the lever goes past it's threshold? It's kind of hard to explain, but I am pretty positive it is not a bleed/caliper issue. There is play in the actual mechanism in the lever. You press the lever to the point where the brake engages, and then there is an audible click as you can push past the threshold and the lever goes to the bar. The brake has been bled and there is no air in the system/signs of any leaks.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassoBry View Post
Has anyone had an issue with the right shifter/rear brake where the lever goes past it's threshold? It's kind of hard to explain, but I am pretty positive it is not a bleed/caliper issue. There is play in the actual mechanism in the lever. You press the lever to the point where the brake engages, and then there is an audible click as you can push past the threshold and the lever goes to the bar. The brake has been bled and there is no air in the system/signs of any leaks.
So say, you apply the brake, the lever engages the caliper and pushes the pads but the lever keeps moving towards the bar? Does the wheel stop? There should be no "stop" except the bar.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:41 PM

Cognoscenti and Campyphiles:

I searched the thread and found mention of SRAM Centerline rotors or any 1.85 thickness rotor working well...

That said, I'm specifically looking for a 6-bolt rotor option in order to use a set of older ENVE M50 x DT240 650b wheels with an upcoming Ekar build.

Anything other than SRAM come to mind? I really like the functional look of the Campy rotors and somewhat detest the over-stylized appearance of most other rotors, esp. SRAM and ShimaNO.

Magura has some rotors with a similar pattern, but not avail in 160...

Anything else come to mind? TIA!
Old 10-04-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
My allroad bike is 40x9-36, because I use it on fast group rides where I like that tight spacing. My gravel bike is 38x9-42. But…I think the best all ‘round set up is probably 42x10-44, actually! I’m going to try that soon.
I'm in the process of speccing an Ekar group for a Lynskey GR300 build and this really helps.

Most of my riding is cross country style, but...I have at least one ride a year in the Berkshires (the PMC Unpaved ride) that has some nasty climbing.

I might go with your all 'round set up and then maybe go to a smaller chain ring for that one ride.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-05-2023, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttx1 View Post

I searched the thread and found mention of SRAM Centerline rotors or any 1.85 thickness rotor working well...

That said, I'm specifically looking for a 6-bolt rotor option in order to use a set of older ENVE M50 x DT240 650b wheels with an upcoming Ekar build.

Anything other than SRAM come to mind? I really like the functional look of the Campy rotors and somewhat detest the over-stylized appearance of most other rotors, esp. SRAM and ShimaNO.

Honestly, I have found the cheaper Shimano rotors to be good and much "simpler" looking. When you go cheap, you can get lots of wobbling. I used to be a SRAM guy but always had the wobble sound.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:29 PM

I am always on the lookout for the DB-310 pads and Canyon has them for $27 which is a pretty good price.

https://www.canyon.com/en-co/gear/bi.../10004652.html

But wait till you see the shipping!
Old 10-05-2023, 10:40 PM

$150 to ship some brake pads to the US? Maybe they put them into their own shipping container...
Old 10-05-2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttx1 View Post

I'm using Shimano RT86 and Ashima 6 bolt rotors on one wheelset and TRP-25 on the centerlock wheels. All work fine for me. The Ekar brakes are great.
Old 10-06-2023, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWB475 View Post
$150 to ship some brake pads to the US? Maybe they put them into their own shipping container...
I know! I have found some cheap replacements for my H11 brakes, as they don't need a spring, but my EKAR brakes do.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I know! I have found some cheap replacements for my H11 brakes, as they don't need a spring, but my EKAR brakes do.
365Cycles has Campagnolo DB-310 pads (the type with the spring) for $45 a set, or $84 for 2 sets (free shipping).

Also note that Kool Stop makes DB-310 compatible pads in both organic and sintered versions (OEM pads are only available in organic).

The DB-310 pads are compatible with all Campagnolo disc brakes, including H11. While H11 brakes originally came with DB-200 pads (without springs), I find that the DB-310 pads retract more consistently (which is probably why they added the springs).
Old 11-02-2023, 11:53 PM

This might be a really bad question - I am building a new bike up with a new Ekar groupset and a new custom NW3 hub wheelset. Trying to install the brake rotors, and not sure where to get a lockring or otherwise secure the rotor to the wheel. It's not in the rotor box - did I miss it with another component in the groupset?
Old 11-03-2023, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
This might be a really bad question - I am building a new bike up with a new Ekar groupset and a new custom NW3 hub wheelset. Trying to install the brake rotors, and not sure where to get a lockring or otherwise secure the rotor to the wheel. It's not in the rotor box - did I miss it with another component in the groupset?
Unlike Shimano that supplies CL lockrings with the rotors, Campagnolo wheels come with the rotor lockrings and are not included with the rotors. Atleast both my Shamal and Levante wheels did. You said yours were custom wheels, so curious what the hubset is? If they will take the Campagnolo CL rotor lockring then the part is M1-101B:

https://velomine.com/products/brake-...1-101b-bk-each

The lockring you need could be unique to the hubset, though most I've tried are interchangeable.

Last edited by nighthawk; 11-03-2023 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:39 AM

It's DT Swiss 240
Old 11-03-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
It's DT Swiss 240
Others can correct me, but I don't think DT makes lockrings, but there are a lot of aftermarket options too (shimano, wolftooth, sram, zipp, tektro, TRP, enve, etc). Assuming your hubs are 12mm TA, so most lockrings for TAs out there should work. Some are splined internal, some external, just a different tool for install and removal.

EDITED.. thanks Mark.

Last edited by nighthawk; 11-03-2023 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:56 AM

The lockring you need could be unique to the hubset, though most I've tried are interchangeable.[/QUOTE]

Could a standard Shimano rotor lockring like this be compatible?