Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2022, 11:01 PM

Max amount you’d pay…

… For a new or used bike? Apologies if this has been asked and rehashed but I’m debating this question right now. I think I’m at $10k but I’d feel a bit guilty.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:34 PM

Since you asked...!

Right now, while having held onto some good bikes, ZERO, unless there was real collector appeal and the bike was vintage.
There are always exceptions though, such as garage-sale rescue candidates that may never have much market value but might be fun projects.

But I'm happy to spend a few bucks on rim and tire upgrades, some Pacenti Brevit rims and Vittoria Corsa tires perhaps.

My answer is of course subject to change, and you'll no doubt get as many different answers as replies.

Honestly I don't know if I could even tell the difference (for better or for worse) between a 7k bike and a 10k bike.
Above 10k, I think we're talking "veblin goods".

Custom-framed bikes are a whole nuther matter. The custom bikes I've owned were built for someone else but my Nobilette rides awesome.

Last edited by dddd; 11-28-2022 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:36 AM

The absolute most I'd pay right now would work out to $4000 to $5000, probably used. High-zoot frame in the $2000 range, high-zoot wheels in the $1000 range, enough Ultegra bits to fill in what I don't already have stockpiled, and the labor and extra needed bits to put it all together.

But no matter how much you spend, you still have to pedal it yourself. And I doubt I'd find anything in the current market that would be that much better than what I have right now, so the marginal cost would be too high for the marginal gains. Since I'm not racing or competing.

(Now, if I break down and buy an ebike for commuting, the LeMond model looks nice. But that's offsetting car usage, so it's a different story. Maybe. Does that count?)
Old 11-29-2022, 03:08 AM

[QUOTE=mhespenheide;3177792]The absolute most I'd pay right now would work out to $4000 to $5000, probably used. High-zoot frame in the $2000 range, high-zoot wheels in the $1000 range, enough Ultegra bits to fill in what I don't already have stockpiled, and the labor and extra needed bits to put it all together. [Quote]

This would be my thinking also. Funny I think there are new bike and used bike purchasers out there. I am in the used bike camp. Just too much depreciation and too many good used bikes out there to choose from IMHO and I enjoy the restoration process. I have friends that are only interested in new and get know satisfaction in restoring. To each their own.

Last edited by alancw3; 11-29-2022 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:15 AM

5k maybe 6k if it was something super special.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:13 AM
Head to Ned

Why would it matter what anyone else would pay?
If you want it and have the means, it's completely your choice!
Old 11-29-2022, 06:40 AM

I feel like you can still get a lot in the $5k range.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:52 AM

5 years ago I would have thought anyone paying over $10k for a bicycle is either extremely wealthy, completely foolish, or completely crazy...

But today, the market has really shifted in a step function UP. I think a new dura-ace group is about $4k, and $2k wheels are not out of the question, so when you start adding up all the parts, the totals can be staggering. This leaves still out of the question e-bikes and the added cost of those systems if that sort of thing suits your fancy.

I'm well set with bikes for now and can't predict the future. Setting a ceiling for price these days seems hard as tomorrow everything is more expensive.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Why would it matter what anyone else would pay?
If you want it and have the means, it's completely your choice!
I feel silly explaining this, but what other people will pay ends up dictating what things cost.

As for the OP...10k is kinda nuts for me. Then again I pay a second mortgage worth of child care every month, and before that I paid a second mortgage worth of student loan payments. Once my kids are out of daycare and in school, I have a second mortgage worth of after school care to pay for since school here gets out at ****ing two o'clock in the afternoon. And then college!

So realistically, for me? <$1000 right now. I think a bike in the $3-4000 range is still a decent value even though I'm not going to purchase one at the moment. I feel like $4000 is the line where feel like it starts to cross into silliness and with a 10k bike I'd just feel like a stupid sucker for paying too much.

But that's just me.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:10 AM

Appreciate the comments. As the OP, should’ve mentioned that I own a Moots road bike, a Desalvo hardtail and a Colnago master Olympic. All were bought used and I think the highest amount I paid was $2500 for the Moots 10 years ago. Have never bought a new bike. But I’ve been thinking of a custom gravel bike (titanium) and although I don’t have quotes, anything I’m considering is going to run at least $8k. Maybe can get a built out Litespeed for $6k if I go mechanical with cheaper wheels but that seems like settling.

Everyone has their price point but mine seems to creep higher the more time I spend on here on PL! Haha
Old 11-29-2022, 07:20 AM
aka RAEKWON

The max I ever paid for a bike ever was 5kish and was only 1, normally I have stayed btw $1500 to $3500. Always use used parts, most of the times used frameset (the one I spent the most was the only one where it was a new frame).

I will say this though… price of the bike has not equaled quality of how much I have loved the bike, on the contrary
Old 11-29-2022, 07:20 AM

I paid $3,050 for a 2 year old hardly used Pivot Mach 429C FS29er seven years ago and have put about 4,500 miles on it in 7 years. I paid $3,000 for my Firefly 3-1/2 years ago and have over 5,500 miles on it. Both bikes are totally keepers and the prices feel completely worth it, they've given me hundreds of hours of riding delight.

A new custom frame equipped well is a lot more money. My Bingham frame and fork was close to $6,000. That would be much harder to duplicate in the used market though, because it has road geo and takes fat tires, and the market slacks the geo out for those bikes. So I paid the price to get what I want. I know I keep and ride bikes I love, so it feels worth it. Heck, my Bob Jackson cost $343, and I've had it 50 years

I feel incredibly lucky every time I go down to the basement and pull one of these bikes off the hook for the next ride. I'm pretty far away from affording Porsches and Aston Martins, but I'd rather have the Bingham.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddub66 View Post
Appreciate the comments. As the OP, should’ve mentioned that I own a Moots road bike, a Desalvo hardtail and a Colnago master Olympic. All were bought used and I think the highest amount I paid was $2500 for the Moots 10 years ago. Have never bought a new bike. But I’ve been thinking of a custom gravel bike (titanium) and although I don’t have quotes, anything I’m considering is going to run at least $8k. Maybe can get a built out Litespeed for $6k if I go mechanical with cheaper wheels but that seems like settling.

Everyone has their price point but mine seems to creep higher the more time I spend on here on PL! Haha
It sounds as though you keep what you like. If you can afford it, the custom Ti will be worth it to you in the long run.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:26 AM

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 11-30-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:27 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
5 years ago I would have thought anyone paying over $10k for a bicycle is either extremely wealthy, completely foolish, or completely crazy...

But today, the market has really shifted in a step function UP. I think a new dura-ace group is about $4k, and $2k wheels are not out of the question, so when you start adding up all the parts, the totals can be staggering. This leaves still out of the question e-bikes and the added cost of those systems if that sort of thing suits your fancy.

I'm well set with bikes for now and can't predict the future. Setting a ceiling for price these days seems hard as tomorrow everything is more expensive.
Your view 5 years ago can still apply today.
Someone spending $10,000 can still be viewed as extremely wealthy, completely foolish, or completely crazy.
$4000 for a DA group and wheels for $2000 can still be seen as those things as well.

Reality is that a $10k bike or having the funds to spend $4k just almost certainly means the buyer is incredibly well off. And to be clear, that isn't a negative and it isn't a judgment. It's just reality.
The other things? Well yeah those are judgements because if you can't easily afford a $10k bike, it's natural to question why someone would buy one.

Anyways, point is that in spite of the recent surge in bike and component prices, someone spending $10k is still at the pencil tip edge, financially speaking.