Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2022, 04:31 PM

Are WEYLESS products desirable?

I remember as a kid, the bicycling magazine would arrive and without fail on the 3rd page would be a full-page ad touting the advantages of WEYLESS hubs and seat posts over campy.

Well, going through my dad's junk drawer (now boxes) I came across tubes of WEYLESS products.

sealed bearings in the hubs. hollow handles on the QR. receipt says 1972, so they are C&V era.

Seatpost is very light, almost flimsy feeling.

I never see these in classifieds.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:39 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Whenever I see "Weyless" I think platform pedals, and most of the ones I've seen (online images only, never in person) haven't been what I'd consider top of the line.

Sorry, that's about all I have to offer.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:41 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

More info here:

https://velobase.com/ViewBrand.aspx?...8-ee8586d16338
Old 11-28-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
That is actually a pretty incredible blurb on that company. Wasn't expecting the drama there. Worth a look.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:01 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
That is actually a pretty incredible blurb on that company. Wasn't expecting the drama there. Worth a look.
Wonder what the book's like...

Edit: Apologies to the OP for the thread drift, but it is somewhat related to the original question.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:21 PM

Way less than you might think.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Administrator

I have a set of the rollers that I still ride occasionally. They are very well made.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:23 PM

Had most of their stuff, yes considered high end, probably one of the first American made product. Hubs were super light, although not at light as Hi-E

I had hubs and seatpost, came in nice packaging the seat post in a Pringles like tube, black and white. Threw out wheels I had when we sold our last house.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Hubs were super light....
I'll tell you how light the hubs were-

True story: I was but a teenager between the ages of 14-18 obviously, since that's when the hubs were made, 1974-1978.

Pal Elmer and I rode the roughly ten miles from Meriden to North Haven Bicycle to buy what, I don't remember.

Just before we left on our bikes to head home, another, older guy left in his car, having seen him just purchase a pair of Weyless hubs.

The guy leaves the parking lot and turns on to busy Route 5 South, and a gust of wind came in through the open windows of his car, picked up the box the hubs were in, and carried them out his car's rear window. He had no clue he had just lost his hubs, and he disappeared down the road.

I thought for sure his hubs were going to get flattened by another car. I got off my bike, picked up the hubs before they were run over, and brought them back into the store and told the store owner what happened. Never knew if the guy got his hubs back...
Old 11-28-2022, 08:50 PM

I have no experience with the components, but the clothing was very nicely made. I still have some of their jerseys, made from merino wool with a very soft texture.

Some old advertisements here: https://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=118.

Last edited by fiamme red; 11-28-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:54 PM

Much later it became an off brand sold by Nashbar. Have a set of carbon bars, probably made by Easton as they have a very strange bend at the top/hooks transition, that are labeled Wayless that I bought on a Nashbar closeout moons ago.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Much later it became an off brand sold by Nashbar. Have a set of carbon bars, probably made by Easton as they have a very strange bend at the top/hooks transition, that are labeled Wayless that I bought on a Nashbar closeout moons ago.
Here's a blog post worth reading about Weyless: https://midlifecycling.blogspot.com/...y-weyless.html.

Quote:
**The Weyless company I'm discussing in this post bears absolutely no relationship to a line of parts and mountain bikes by the same name that was marketed by the mail/online retailer Supergo during the late 1990's and the first years of the 21st Century. Supergo would be acquired by Performance Bicycles, which apparently killed off the Weyless and Supergo brands as well as Scattante, Supergo's house brand of road bikes.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:12 PM

My first pair of real cycling shorts were from Weyless: superwash wool with a real chamois - I thought they were great (although I didn't have much of a basis for comparison). A friend had some wheels with their hubs and we all agreed they were very cool. I lived in upstate NY at the time and these products were said to be made in Rochester.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:06 AM

wow, that's a whole lot of info. I was tempted to replace with campy, I might rock them for a bit.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:04 AM

Interesting stuff! and from my hometown of Rochester NY! The Bob Reedy pedals were big in BMX in the late 70s also.. hyper expensive ($100) I remember some of the big time racers had them