Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 01:46 PM

I like the KISS (Keep it Simple Sweetie) philosophy my self too.

One day I want a custom Steel frame and it will have rim brakes.

In the mean time though I love disk brakes. When I can pick up a set of rim brake Zipp's in the classified for $400 buks I'm all for rim brakes
Old 11-19-2022, 01:53 PM
Pack fill

I agree and will probably never own a disc road for 2 simple reasons. Most of my rides are in the 3 hour range. In that time frame the brakes maybe used for 5 minutes total. I rarely come to a complete stop and there are stretches of road that other than to scrub off a little speed I don't touch them for 20 minutes. I don't forsee buying another NEW bike. The gently used offerings are really good now since a lot of the fast guys don't mind trying to buy speed. I will keep a few thousand dollars and have an extra pound or two on my bike or inferior rim brakes/mechanical shifting.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I like the KISS (Keep it Simple Sweetie) philosophy my self too.

One day I want a custom Steel frame and it will have rim brakes.

In the mean time though I love disk brakes. When I can pick up a set of rim brake Zipp's in the classified for $400 buks I'm all for rim brakes
To be fair being able to pick up a brand new set of zipp disc wheels with lifetime warranty at $800 is nothing to shake a stick at either! But yeah rim brakes will be around for a long time, just hope the component support can continue as well

To an easier post - top end grooves carbon tom brake surfaces work just as well as good alloy IMO, in the wet and dry. Only considerations is some make more noise when braking (although nothing like the sonorous disc brake squeal) and the pads can get more expensive per usage and purchase price.

The best rim brake braking IMO came from the milled alloy specialty treatments like Mavic Exalith and HED Turbine. Power and modulation right up there with disc, it’s just the rims and pads were very costly - especially compared to what disc brake rims are now.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:59 PM

repeat
Old 11-19-2022, 02:23 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
being outside in the rain gets you dirty no matter what type of brake your bike has.
But the black dirt and alum oxide mix i find particularly tasky cleanup wise. And if tanwall tirz you cant get it out of the skin wall tire at all.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:24 PM

When I had Carl build me a Pursuit I had no option with regards to brakes, he only does disks on the carbon frames. I could have gone elsewhere but wanted to try all the new stuff like e-shifting, full carbon frame and disk brakes. They are now pretty much the standard anyway.

After about 5 months now the brakes are quiet unless I go through a puddle. Then I get a brief howl, rim brakes often did the same. I get no brake rub nor pinging. I'll have to bleed them every year or so but I did that with motorcycles and it's not a big deal for me. SRAM's use of two plungers that snap, or screw in also makes that job easier IMO.

As for the actual braking....can't really say they work any better than the Campy Record 12s setup on my Seven using Easton rims. If I could only have one bike and didn't care if it had the latest stuff I would stick with rim brakes. The Pursuit also allows me to swap the 700C wheels for 650b in the event I want to try some moderate gravel. So there's that. I do actually like the fatter brifter bodies...just seem to fit my hands better than any rim brake version I have used.

Tim
Old 11-19-2022, 02:55 PM

I think for me, and for many experiences tells a tale. I have always been for that bike that does the thing it was built for perfectly. I think rim brakes will live forever, and discs as well. they all will and have found their place in our line-ups. A rim brake road bike belongs in every rider's quiver, if possible. Have to remember we are a crowd of plenty. Some folks don't have the luxury of a 'stable', of a choice. That one bike, to rule them all, is for them, and us too.

I take from threads like this is that more options are just better, whether it's disc or rim brake, tubeless tubed or tubular; 9-10-11-12 speed; carbon/alloy/metal. The more this industry fine-tunes its equipment, the more fun we can have in niche environments, in specific situations, and so forth.

For me, discs aren't much more complicated to maintain. Lucky to have come from working in a spot that allowed me to accumulate the tools and know how to lessen the fuss. What has changed me is electronic shifting.

What l love most about conversations like this is the experience we all have, adds up. Compiled into a truly valuable resource for those willing to dive deep.

There is a perfect bike for everyone, and that bike is as unique as we are individuals.

carry on!

Last edited by AJosiahK; 11-19-2022 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:56 PM
aka RAEKWON

Its simple, discs are annoying to install and maintain. Caliper brakes are a breeze so if you dont need the stopping power why go through the headache.

Shifting is a bit different where wireless shifting is a breeze and it works VERY well so I see that as an advantage and why some people would want it.
Of course price is way higher but thats a different issue there.

The thing that annoys me most about disc brakes is that it cut direct mount technology too short. Woulda been cool to see more development on that, Id love to have seen more frames with direct mount that fit a 32mm tire

But everyone should use what they want and what makes em happy.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:04 PM

I wanna know why we don’t have wireless electric brakes yet.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:10 PM
what's a little rust?

For me it's an "is it worth the switch" question. I built the Hampsten largely from the parts box, and they were rim brake parts. I have two sets of nice rim brake wheels.

I may choose to go disc in the future as an n-1 or 2 move. If my present mindset holds I'll choose mechanical disc.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:29 PM

I like them both, rim and disc bikes. My lightest bike is rim brake and I don't think that's coincidence, but apart from the weight and the learning curve I think disc brakes have worked really well for me -- at least the Campy ones. I haven't experienced noise or issues with wheelset alignment yet. But I do tend to agree with OPs.. their brake power is really overkill for road, even in steep descends
Old 11-19-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
I wanna know why we don’t have wireless electric brakes yet.
And ABS
Old 11-19-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
And ABS
Did you say ABS? Reviews have been pretty positive, at least for downhill mtb use.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:06 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by eephotog View Post
Did you say ABS? Reviews have been pretty positive, at least for downhill mtb use.
I think the masses and ABS=good. When brakes get too powerful..

I say this based on a Buell Lightning I had 2005. Buell had a single huge rotor mounted out at the rim casting instead of at the hub, and a 6 piston caliper. pinky brake, one finger for sure.

I am a 10 year motocross veteran from my youth and and lots of front braking experience The Buell brake was so powerful I would not let less experienced riders [non racer track or moto] ride the bike. IMO this bike/brake for the masses should have had ABS mandatory.

I diverge...

Wonder how road tandems with big 203mm rotor fits in to the ABS need/potential, anyone??

Last edited by robt57; 11-19-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:21 PM
tʌɪˈteɪniəm

disc sucks • wake up Shimano

Tags
back to the future, brake jerks, counter-revolutionaries, gravel groaning, rim sniffing