Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2022, 04:22 PM

OT: Black Friday approaches. Thinking about a new TV UPDATED: Bought

Mine is at least 13 years old, probably older. 50" Plasma Panasonic. Still works, been happy with it, but...
It is only 720p, and I'm getting the upgrade itch.
Looking for a nice 55"~ TV for <$1000. Don't need the best of the best. Watch mostly football and the occasional TV show, some Prime streaming stuff. That's about it. Not a big TV guy, so don't want to drop a lot. Thought I'd start looking now so if I see something I like at a good price I could jump on it. Partial to name brands (Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic).
Got anything you love? What should I make sure I get, screen type iwse? OLED? QLED? Do I need 4K?
I know nothing, Jon Snow.

EDIT Post on page 4 has the details, but went with a 65" Samsung. In true PL fashion, I might have gone over budget

Last edited by makoti; 11-09-2022 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:28 PM

LG OLED. Bigger the better. 4 k for sure; probably hard to find lesss.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2022, 05:08 PM

Also watching this, thinking of moving my 12 yr old Sony to second string.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:08 PM

While it is sold out, but will give you a base line, Costco recently had the 55” LG A1 OLED for $500! So no surprisingly it sold out in no time. But perhaps this is a sign of what may be available in the short future.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Mine is at least 13 years old, probably older. 50" Plasma Panasonic. Still works, been happy with it, but...
Looking for a nice 55"~ TV for <$1000. Don't need the best of the best. Watch mostly football and the occasional TV show, some Prime streaming stuff. That's about it. Not a big TV guy, so don't want to drop a lot. Thought I'd start looking now so if I see something I like at a good price I could jump on it. Partial to name brands (Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic).
Got anything you love? What should I make sure I get, screen type iwse? OLED? QLED? Do I need 4K?
Interesting - we're thinking about getting our plasma (panasonic) tv's out. I figure we'll be able to recoup the cost in electricity savings over 5-7 years. You ever feel how much heat those things give off?
Old 11-04-2022, 06:40 PM
I need you cool.

Hah! Our Samsung plasma just started to die today....top 1/4 of screen has a shadow over it....

Went out and bought a new 65" Samsung OLED S95B today...will be delivered, installed and old TV removed next Thursday.....$1499 ($1899 total with tax, new HDMI Cable, and extended warranty)....installation will be about $200

Our old plasma must weigh about 80+ lbs.....new one is about 40 lbs...also only about an inch thick!

The LGs were nice and very comparable, but we have had good luck with Samsung, so went with that

Last edited by Ozz; 11-04-2022 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:47 PM

I went thru this last year, had a Panasonic plasma forever. You get hooked on the color and contrasts. Only modern product that gets you there is a Sony, IMHO. Go 65" and thank me later

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Old 11-04-2022, 06:54 PM

I’ve already put a Sony 77” oled 4k in my Best Buy cart like three times since they started Black Friday deals so early. But that sort of makes me think there’s going to be a ton of stock this year and not a lot of buyers. However spending around me seems to be going strong so maybe the time to buy is when it’s available? I’m at least waiting until cyber Monday, I think…

If you can, you may as well go into a store and check the picture, and UI, for yourself. You want to be happy with it for the next decade at least!
Old 11-04-2022, 07:07 PM

Got a 70” lg oled recently and it is pretty darned amazing. Not sure what deals on it will be out there, but it is highly recommended.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Interesting - we're thinking about getting our plasma (panasonic) tv's out. I figure we'll be able to recoup the cost in electricity savings over 5-7 years. You ever feel how much heat those things give off?
Apparently, in the epoch since I last bought a TV, Panasonic left the US market. Who knew?
Mine isn't on that much, which is probably why it has done so well for me. Also, it stays cool.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I went thru this last year, had a Panasonic plasma forever. You get hooked on the color and contrasts. Only modern product that gets you there is a Sony, IMHO. Go 65" and thank me later
Sony only here for the past 25 years. My next purchase will be a 65" Sony OLED. Just waiting for the old XBR in the bedroom to crap out so I can move the den set there and put the new one in the den...

That XBR was our first LED tv; I think it dates to about 2004 or so...still plugging away.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 11-05-2022, 07:57 AM

Sony OLED all the way. Great image processing without that artificial pop in color like many other brands. OLED produces an excellent picture, true blacks on dark scenes, no annoying edge light bleed or blurry image on fast moving scenes.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:57 AM

I really like my LG 4K TV but the operating system is terrible. I use a Fire Cube instead. Perhaps it is operator failure, but ir acts like a bad version of windows (which I never use anymore). Has anyone else had issues?
Old 11-05-2022, 08:00 AM

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 11-30-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
I really like my LG 4K TV but the operating system is terrible. I use a Fire Cube instead. Perhaps it is operator failure, but ir acts like a bad version of windows (which I never use anymore). Has anyone else had issues?
What does operating system mean, menus and stuff?

Thought everyone was using an apple tv these days with apps for their prescriptions. Perhaps an option if you are bothered.