Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2022, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

After being in the trenches of bike retail for so long..which I enjoyed, small 'e', working on my bike now is just something I gotta do when something is 'needed', as in, 'it doesn't work right, gotta make it work right'. Or it's dirty, gotta clean it.

BUT, what I still really enjoy is wheel building. Just do enough of it to stay interested. My wheels, neighbor's wheels, forum wheels....there is such variation in hubs, rims, spokes, lacings, etc...it stays 'fun'.

But bike wrenching? Not so much.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:55 AM

I used to be a mechanic, heck back in 1973 was only kid in the shop that could rebuild a Sturmey Archer 3 speed. I "picked up" my wife, offering her to bring her bike to a friends and my little free bike rebuild shop on Tues eve. She did the basics of the rebuild, we decided to permanently hook up and got her a Bruce Gordon instead, that yes we bought built up piece by piece.

FF to today, my physical limitations cannot handle bending (severe back issues) involved in bike repair, this has frustrated me mentally to no end. Simple cable rerouting I am swearing at myself, it just isn't fun anymore.

I was happy over the weekend (with some advice here) to switch my 700c to 650b, disks, cassette, and the big thing...tubeless, which took 3 tried on my back wheel.