Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace70 View Post
Hello all,
I’m in the hunt for the last of a dying breed, a rim brake, mechanical Frameset.
I came across a Z3 that has never been built, and after speaking to Parlee, still will have its lifetime guarantee for the original owner, which will be me.
How much does this add to the value of the frame?
I realise that if I do resell after that, it will greatly reduce the value, but after hearing talk about the ride quality of the Z series frames, I’m pretty sure I’ll be buried with it.
For me, the frame is a fair bit of coin $3000usd, especially after seeing a lot of these frames having a hard time selling on various sites.
I have the large quandary of opposing arguments-
8 year old frame/ lifetime warranty.
Modern tyre sizes on newer frames/limited tyre size
Never having ridden one/ legendary ride quality
Age of quality unused frame/ new mass produced frame
Price of this one/price of second hand ones

The geometry is pretty spot on for me, and has threaded bottom bracket, exposed cables, rim brakes, all on my top of the pops wanted list…

Oh and any Z3 owners, what tyre size have you happily had on a 2014 vintage frame?
Running new shamal ultras with 17mm internal,

Cheers All

Buy it. Why?
1. It sounds like it is exactly what you want (I'm assuming it fits, etc).
2. Don't worry about the warranty on resale. Warranty on this type of frameset is likely never needed. Remember, it doesn't cover crashes etc. anyway.
3. If you are looking for a rim brake frameset, its not like a more 'modern' frame is going to be any less expensive, and the Parlee is prob just as nice or nicer than any modern rim brake frame you'll find.

Only thing I'd verify, as alluded to in other posts, make sure the rims, and tires, you plan to use, will fit in the frame.

Cheers
Old 10-15-2022, 11:53 AM

I'm with OldGuy. Buy it and enjoy it. Life's too short.
Old 10-16-2022, 02:11 PM

Adding my voice to the “buy it” chorus! Had a Z3 built in early 2000s for 15+ years and only sold it because I finally found a Z1that would fit me. The only reason I bought the Z1 was because I really prefer a level top tube. I noticed no difference in the ride between the Z1 and Z3.

They are absolutely beautifully riding bikes and classic round tube looks that I’ll never grow tired of …. I cannot imagine you would regret its purchase!
Old 10-16-2022, 09:10 PM

Once again, thanks everyone, still contemplating, and getting a list together of things to check before I go see it again, and try some negotiation.

Has anyone had a compact crankset on a Z3 with the fancy derailleur band/clamp? Had a friend mention he had a Z5, and the location of the bottle cage mounts didn’t allow him to get the derailleur hanger to the right spot.
In the first place going to put a Campagnolo 52/36 on, but depending on event might even put 48/32 chorus cranks.

With the 31.6 seatpost, what’s people’s preference for post. Comfort wise is probably first priority, then weight…
I’ve got a 25.4 cannondale save on my Caad12 now, so I’m going from one extreme to the other.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Once again, thanks everyone, still contemplating, and getting a list together of things to check before I go see it again, and try some negotiation.

Has anyone had a compact crankset on a Z3 with the fancy derailleur band/clamp? Had a friend mention he had a Z5, and the location of the bottle cage mounts didn’t allow him to get the derailleur hanger to the right spot.
In the first place going to put a Campagnolo 52/36 on, but depending on event might even put 48/32 chorus cranks.

With the 31.6 seatpost, what’s people’s preference for post. Comfort wise is probably first priority, then weight…
I’ve got a 25.4 cannondale save on my Caad12 now, so I’m going from one extreme to the other.
I ran a standard 53/39 on mine, but I found a picture of the band's clearance of the bottle cage bolt when I set it up if it helps:

Old 10-17-2022, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregroundmusic View Post
I ran a standard 53/39 on mine, but I found a picture of the band's clearance of the bottle cage bolt when I set it up if it helps:

Thanks mate, looking at that I should be able to get away with 52/36, but I reckon the 48/32 will be out

Can I ask what model that is in the picture? Doesn’t look like it’s got the bonded on studs Z series have for the cages

Last edited by ace70; 10-17-2022 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

There really isn't any meaningful 'comfort' aspect to any seat post. Adjustability is what's most important and reliability, maybe aesthetics/looks. Use assembly paste/carbon paste.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:57 AM

My Z3 had a 50/34 with the Parlee carbon derailleur mount....

Although I think my frame was an '07...

SPP
Old 10-17-2022, 08:38 AM

My Z3 has a compact Red crank. I think you better check the frame you are looking at.

My frame is naked and I had trouble with the carbon clamp (plus a replacement) slipping. I use an OEM metal clamp.

Cockpit is Ritchie.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:59 AM

Also not sure if I missed this or not - but do you keep bikes or do you get tired of them and sell them?

I'm disloyal and tend to not keep bikes. That alone would dissuade me from buying that Z3 for that price. I love Parlee and would love to have one but also noticed what you've already seen - the resale is especially bad on them. Not sure why I feel this way but that's what my impression is.

I'd wait and scratch that itch with a used one and be patient. I'm also super frugal so this sensibility may not align with yours at all

FWIW!!

Tim
Old 10-17-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks mate, looking at that I should be able to get away with 52/36, but I reckon the 48/32 will be out

Can I ask what model that is in the picture? Doesn’t look like it’s got the bonded on studs Z series have for the cages
It's a Z5 SLi

My apologies didn't know if the Z3 was identical in that regard
Old 11-29-2022, 03:32 AM

So, I thought I’d missed the boat, but…
The other party who gazumpted me decided to go for a Ti frame,
And I am now the proud owner of a NOS Z3, which I’ve just built up,
Took it for its first ever ride today, just a quick fettling dash to check fit and tune.

Surprisingly supple, and bump absorbing, even with a 25mm rear tyre, dare I say it, steel like?
Doesn’t feel quite as urgent as my caad12 out of the saddle, but seated, feels like it transmits power very effectively. Though today I was coming off a night shift, so definitely not 100% with it.
Will be very interested in seeing how it feels after a good night sleep before a longer ride.
Just have to locktight that bloody Superleggera saddle rail bolt, they always come loose.
The guys at Parlee put me onto 303 Aerospace protectant, for UV protection and stopping the carbon drying out, it puts a lovely Matt sheen to the tubing.
And the UD tubing is, oh my lord, beautiful!!

Handling is sublime, at this early stage, probably one of the best I’ve ridden.

Many a happy mile to be ridden on this beauty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BCD542B4-CFB0-4246-AA7D-F9CBE730CC20.jpeg (131.9 KB, 180 views)
Old 11-29-2022, 10:33 AM

Looks fantastic - you have many happy miles ahead!
Old 11-29-2022, 10:49 AM

Nice
Old 11-29-2022, 10:51 AM

Beautiful, congratulations!