Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2022, 11:47 PM

<Good Ebbening Aston Villa> has entered the chat. That was an odd “I quit” to “Up the Villans”. Don’t think Slippery G should have gotten the sack, but what do I know.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:22 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ing-eye-socket

I imagine he could play but with great caution. No aerial challenges for sure. However he may rely on using his legs, feet and chest to control the ball to avoid further injury to his eye socket. That hesitation will affect his reaction time but I think he could still contribute to the team’s progress in the tournament.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:17 AM

I love the players AC Milan signs and how the team plays. I would carry Sandro Tonali's jockstrap. Theo is a beast plus Leão and Charles De Ketelaere. Feel bad for Dest but probably says a lot that he's not starting for two consecutive teams now. I'm curious how he played at Ajax. G'luck vs Iran.

Re: Barcelona I would fix the squad as follows. 1) Send Sergio Busquets on an economy class one-way ticket to Inter Miami. 2) Take the $60M paid for Ferran Torres and sign a CB along the lines of De Ligt or Rúben Dias. 3) Sign Florian Wirtz, Havertz, or Jamal Musiala at CAM. 4) Sign a young, fast, relentless attacking striker like Julián Álvarez. 5) Play 3-4-3 per below

Raphinha/Fati---------------Lewandowski-----------------Dembélé

---------------------------------Wirtz---------------------------------

-------Pedri-----------------------------------------------Gavi-------

---------------------------Frenkie de Jong---------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------Araújo----------De Ligt----------Koundé--------------

That's how I see it. While it sounds ludicrous to play 3-xxx with all of FCB's defensive woes that's a world class backline with two perfect players to flank a stud like De Ligt. Plus there's nothing Farça would love more than another midfielder. With Wirtz, you have a playmaker around the box which Xavi desperately needs. I think Lewa will be injury prone next year. He already looks stiff out there. That's why I'd like to see a young, aggressive striker compliment him. I would love to see FCB play another striker upfront to take some pressure off Lewa but I don't think Barça could get them the ball. Not a huge fan of Barça's playing style. They're too obsessed with possession and walk the ball upfield and brake when other teams mash their collective foot on the gas. Since Barça's incapable of signing quality fullbacks I'd ditch the position altogether in favor of more playmakers forward.

Last edited by holliscx; 11-03-2022 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:57 AM

How many lever pulls (or rather, mortgaging of future income) would your plan require?

Almost as realistic as making a budget with the expectation of making it to the quarterfinals, only to get dumped out of the group stage.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
How many lever pulls (or rather, mortgaging of future income) would your plan require?
Realistically one lever. Most of the fullback salaries would cover signing Wirtz. De Ligt would be a reach for we'd never recoup €60M for Torres. I would sign back Barça boy Adama Traoré as a super sub on the wing. The lever would be for the young striker hire mostly. Franck Kessié would play regularly.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:24 AM

Their plan for this year totally required them to make it to the knockout stage of Champions League. Without the money coming in from that it seems highly doubtful they'll be able to make any major signings next transfer and probably have to say bye to some players. While I agree with your idea it doesnt seem that feasible now that they are in Europa. They should have invested in their young players and took a season or two to get back into it instead of bringing on a bunch of players and spending money they dont have.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
Realistically one lever. Most of the fullback salaries would cover signing Wirtz. De Ligt would be a reach for we'd never recoup €60M for Torres. I would sign back Barça boy Adama Traoré as a super sub on the wing. The lever would be for the young striker hire mostly. Franck Kessié would play regularly.
I think you are too optimistic on what it would cost to get Wirtz. And De Ligt cost almost $70M plus $10M add - ons just this summer. Bayern is not motivated to sell so you are looking at probably $100 M at best to Barca.

Barcelona has mortgaged their future ( sold 50 years worth of tv rights!). Without gov't intervention the finanical catastrophe has to come to roost at some point.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
Play 3-4-3 per below

Raphinha/Fati---------------Lewandowski-----------------Dembélé

---------------------------------Wirtz---------------------------------

-------Pedri-----------------------------------------------Gavi-------

---------------------------Frenkie de Jong---------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------Araújo----------De Ligt----------Koundé--------------
The financial hurdles of acquiring more players aside, I also wonder how this system would work today.

Of course, the set-up is reminiscent of Cruiff's 3-4-3, but times have changed, not to mention that FdJ is probably not as astute as Guardiola was.

Neither Gavi nor Pedri is a defensive mid (and are frankly a tad too callow). Just seems too top heavy.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
The financial hurdles of acquiring more players aside, I also wonder how this system would work today.

Of course, the set-up is reminiscent of Cruiff's 3-4-3, but times have changed, not to mention that FdJ is probably not as astute as Guardiola was.

Neither Gavi nor Pedri is a defensive mid (and are frankly a tad too callow). Just seems too top heavy.
Agree. You would need some serious defensive work rate from the Raphina / Dembele positions in addition to Gavi and Pedri.

I can just imagine Saka, Salah, Son, (when recovered) even Alphonso Davies. having field days here.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:31 PM

@wc1934, six-point gap after 13 matches played is quite a comfortable gap, made all the more impressive by the victory in the top-of-the-table six pointer vs Atalanta.

Only downside is that so many Napoli players have international duty, but at least the Georgian winger will be rested.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
@wc1934, six-point gap after 13 matches played is quite a comfortable gap, made all the more impressive by the victory in the top-of-the-table six pointer vs Atalanta.

Only downside is that so many Napoli players have international duty, but at least the Georgian winger will be rested.
Undefeated - amazing.
Yeah, KK takes some serious knocks - supposedly back pain - he is fun to watch. Napoli has him for 5 years
They have decent depth - But Lozano is killing me, as he is clearly a shoot first, pass second guy.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:51 AM

Going to be some exciting matches!!!

Champions League round of 16 draw:

RB Leipzig vs. Manchester City

Club Brugge vs. Benfica

Liverpool vs. Real Madrid

AC Milan vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Eintracht Frankfurt vs. Napoli

Borussia Dortmund vs. Chelsea

Inter Milan vs. Porto

Paris Saint-Germain vs. Bayern Munich
Old 11-07-2022, 11:10 AM

Liverpool/Madrid and PSG/Munich are the obvious headliners, but I look forward to Milan/Tottenham. I think that will be a fun tie.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:32 PM

Think anyone is going to jail?
All Juventus board members, including President Andrea Agnelli, have resigned.

"According to Gazzetta, the decision was taken following the investigation for alleged false accounting and false communications to the market which led CONSOB, the Italian body in charge of supervising activities in the stock exchange market, to ask for clarification on the club’s balance sheet at June 2021.

The Bianconeri registered a record loss of €254.3m for 2021-22 and their shareholders’ meeting that should have taken place on November 23 was postponed to December 27 last week".
Old 11-29-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Think anyone is going to jail?
All Juventus board members, including President Andrea Agnelli, have resigned.

"According to Gazzetta, the decision was taken following the investigation for alleged false accounting and false communications to the market which led CONSOB, the Italian body in charge of supervising activities in the stock exchange market, to ask for clarification on the club’s balance sheet at June 2021.

The Bianconeri registered a record loss of €254.3m for 2021-22 and their shareholders’ meeting that should have taken place on November 23 was postponed to December 27 last week".
Sounds like there might be fraud involved?

In which case, the stripes on the jersey should be rotated by 90 degrees