Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2023, 06:33 AM

Concur with having the buyer resell them if they want to recoup cost. Nice respectful example of appropriate way to communicate that from Pegoready. I’ve done this several times when picking up something like a jersey that didn’t fit, stem I didn’t love the finish, etc. Never occurred to me to involve the seller again (understanding that they kept up their end of the deal). Good luck for smooth resolution either way.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:59 AM
Steel..what else??

At the end of the day ebay can force you to take it back.
Ask me how I know......
Old 03-12-2023, 08:05 AM

having bought an item from NHAero I have no doubt his item was exactly as described. Seems the mistake was on the buyer, who buys something like shifters without knowing what they were to begin with? I would definitely want the item back and inspected before returning the money as maybe the guy tried installing them and damaged them. Probably no wrong answer on returning them or not but I know if he NHAero decides not to I would still have no problem buying from him again in the future. In fact his name is one I always check for in the classifieds hoping he is going to be selling something I want
Old 03-12-2023, 08:11 AM

I just sold a pair of shoes and this morning received a request for return as “arrived damaged”. Whatever the case, as they’re “not as described” I have to pay for a return label, plus the buyer gets a full refund including the postage I paid out to ship them.

These returns happen so infrequently that I chalk it up to just doing business but each time it makes me less and less inclined to sell on the platform.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:23 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Why can't the buyer just re-sell them? Simple.
If they sell it, they might have to deal with someone that's a little worse than they are themselves.

I dislike selling things on ebay. There is always someone that makes me regret it. And with ebay's rules now, the likelihood of a scammer has gone way up
Old 03-12-2023, 08:39 AM
Resident Slacker

Doesn't help you much now, but I always include this in the description of every item I list:

++++++++++++++++

Please see photos for details.

All sales final. Please read description carefully to ensure the item will work with your bike.

>>Shipping to U.S. ONLY<<

>>Will only ship to registered PayPal address<<
Old 03-12-2023, 09:16 AM

Wish me luck
I used a version of Pegoready's language (thanks so much) and worked in "exactly as described". And since I had listed it as Buy It Now with Make Offer, with an Auto Accept at $20 lower than the BIN price, I offered to rebate $20 to him.

Worst case, he goes to eBay, I lose, I lose more money than I would have, and I get negative feedback.

I've sold 7 items on eBay in the past two years, it won't kill me if this happens. Live and learn. It's hard for me to regard this as the cost of doing business, because I'm not in a business.

Sheesh, he coulda gone to any bike shop or ride and seen what a hydro shifter looks like. I think he had remorse and had to pick something to identify as to why he wanted a return.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:19 AM

Buyer’s reason for wanting a return sounds scammy. My instinct would be to refuse the return, but seller can then open a claim and, regardless of reality, eBay will force the return. After nearly 20years of selling on eBay, I finally quit selling a few years ago after getting screwed over one too many times by shady buyers and eBay’s dispute resolution policies. eBay’s business model long ago stopped adequately protecting sellers.

I have bad ideas…
Old 03-12-2023, 12:35 PM

If they go through ebay and you have his message where he says he wants to return it because of his own fault, that should help your case.

Of course it's ebay. I stopped selling there years ago.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
If they go through ebay and you have his message where he says he wants to return it because of his own fault, that should help your case.

Of course it's ebay. I stopped selling there years ago.
I would not bet on that. I had a seller a few years ago send me the wrong TDF Banner in a box with a few others. We messaged back and forth several times where he admitted he sent mine to someone else. Promised to get it back and work things out then went silent. I made my only ever claim and despite having all the message traffic Ebay ruled against me. Said I got the package so I had no case. They obviously never looked at the message traffic and wouldn't when I continued to dispute. I now shop Ebay know there really is no protection.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Reminds me of a post Josh at Silca make here in Paceline.
Telling us that people would return Silca chain oil with some other liquid inside it for a refund. He mentioned other egregious examples as well. Not sure how much of this happens but it was eye opening.

It surely would be a lesson in humanity to be a package "opener" for the Amazon returned goods.
I actually know the person who is in charge of all amazon returns and from the sounds of it, it is a disaster. The have things in huge warehouses in Texas - before being put into landfills. A major issue with them is that so many of the goods they sell are counterfeit, they can't blanket returns back to the named manufacturer.

And to the OP, I would say no. The person bought it and does not like it, that is not a viable reason to return. You have that e-mail and I would let eBay know.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
that's just a sad way to look at life.. unfortunately there are examples to justify this saying, but sad none the less.. I try and see the good in folks and assume most people want to do the right thing.. seems to have mostly worked out for me so far..

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

Its silly to put NO RETURNS on ebay because the buying can just come up with anything and you WILL accept the return.

However this is a different case because you do have a message that says he doesn't want them because they are too big for him.

Personally I would let the person return them, its less headaches for me, ok I loose a few bucks but hey karma is good. I just bought something and totally messed up and ordered the wrong thing and was nice that they took my return (was not ebay but a small shop overseas). So yeah I would just let the person return but they would have to pay for shipping back of course.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:54 PM
the Central Scrutinizer

I recently sold a rear derailleur on ebay for $129. The buyer wanted to return it, the reason for the return was "I didn't like it." Ebay immediately approved the return. The funny thing, he had yet to receive the package. When I finally got the box back it had never been opened. I relisted the item for $159 and it sold in a couple of days.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyintense View Post
I recently sold a rear derailleur on ebay for $129. The buyer wanted to return it, the reason for the return was "I didn't like it." Ebay immediately approved the return. The funny thing, he had yet to receive the package. When I finally got the box back it had never been opened. I relisted the item for $159 and it sold in a couple of days.
Did you stipulate No Returns in your ad?