Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 01:24 PM

Rene Herse - SKF BB order

Wondering if anyone has experience ordering SKF bbs from Rene Herse? I ordered a 116mm/ JIS/ British threaded bottom bracket.

What I received was an Italian threaded 116mm bottom bracket with a permanent market blacking out the Italian threading language from the bb itself, but I can still see it on the packaging. See photos in my next post.

The red cup appears to be British threaded. I don't like the idea that the two cups are different threads so i've already requested a return.

I just saw another SKF bb on ebay also purchased from RH which has the same thing going on - permanent marker crossing out the ITA threading designation.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:25 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2020, 01:35 PM

I don't understand. Is the main BB body Italian or British threaded?
Old 08-07-2020, 01:38 PM
Administrator

i mean, if you looked at the photos on the website, you would know that they you would have a bb with one red and one silver cup - that's just how they are.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i mean, if you looked at the photos on the website, you would know that they you would have a bb with one red and one silver cup - that's just how they are.

My concern isn’t the color of the cups - it’s that each cup is a different thread.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:55 PM
Administrator

edited: i'm incorrect, upon fact-checking myself!

Last edited by AngryScientist; 08-07-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
i think the NDS theading is the same for British and Italian BB's, 24tpi. It is possible that the floating cup is the only difference between the two BB's for SKF. That would mean just the label is the problem.
Yes, ITA and BSA have the same 24 TPI NDS thread, but BSA should be a smaller diameter (1.375"= 34.9 mm vs. Italian 36 mm).

I just tried a NDS BSA cup in my Italian frame and it slips in-- no way it will thread onto the shell.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Yes, ITA and BSA have the same 24 TPI NDS thread, but BSA should be a smaller diameter (1.375"= 34.9 mm vs. Italian 36 mm).

I just tried a NDS BSA cup in my Italian frame and it slips in-- no way it will thread onto the shell.
roger, i just edited my misinformation - in the OP's case then, it should be quickly obvious if he has the correct NDS cup or not.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:26 PM

It's a brand new Ebisu frame (I still have to get the threads chased and the bb shell faced). As such, I wasn't able either cup on successfully. It's my second Ebisu and my first one was British threaded.

I think either way I'm going to return this because it's kind of a crappy thing they did with the permanent marker.

I also bought a cycling cap in the order and I think I'll just send that back too while I'm at it - no need to support them.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

I know RH is taking a while to answer but have you messaged them about it?
Old 08-07-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I know RH is taking a while to answer but have you messaged them about it?

I received the BB today and submitted a return request stating my concerns an hour later.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:53 PM

This is truly strange, would never expect this of RH unless it was an issue with some incorrectly labeled BBs from the SKF factory. The one on ebay is being sold as BSA, but (pretty) clearly reads ITA 70 on the label. Drive-side threads are part of the shell, right? No way to change them even if they wanted to.

Good luck with the return, but I'd sure like to know what the H3!! was going on is Seattle.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:09 PM
Randomhead

I can believe these were mislabeled at the factory, because Germans are notoriously sloppy about such things.

Okay, maybe not.

If this really is a BSA threaded bb, they really should have put a note in the box.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:49 PM
Administrator

initially, i was thinking the OP was being a little harsh, but on further consideration, i would agree with the OP that even if the label was wrong, it's pretty ridiculous to sharpie out the lettering on a $170 bottom bracket.

this is a part that is being touted as a piece of kit that will last forever. it should come labelled properly and obviously with the correct threading for that kind of money.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
initially, i was thinking the OP was being a little harsh, but on further consideration, i would agree with the OP that even if the label was wrong, it's pretty ridiculous to sharpie out the lettering on a $170 bottom bracket.

this is a part that is being touted as a piece of kit that will last forever. it should come labelled properly and obviously with the correct threading for that kind of money.

Thanks for your comment - yes this was my sentiment. I held off on getting a cheaper BB and opted for this bottom bracket that is supposed to last me many years to come.

Even if it somehow happens that this actually turns out to be the right bottom bracket threading for my bike, I am disappointed by the way Rene Herse handled this. I’m returning on the principle of this practice of sharpie-ing out a product rather than tell me this product is out of stock like they should’ve done from the beginning. I mean, this is an expensive bottom bracket.

Unless there are other good sources for these SKF bbs I might just go with a Phil Wood - they’ve always been helpful, response and most of all, honest.

Closed Thread

Tags
runny arse, stickergate