Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2024, 10:56 AM

3 years seems incredibly short but what do I know! I’m certain any carbon bike I’ve owned would still be functional many more years than that assuming i don’t crash it.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
3 years seems incredibly short but what do I know! I’m certain any carbon bike I’ve owned would still be functional many more years than that assuming i don’t crash it.
Yeah I agree ! I guess we are the 10% that keep it longer I know I did when I did ride a Look 585 & 386...My Cervelo R2.5 lasted less than 3 years tho

But I am also guessing at pro levels much of it never even gets 3 years
Old 02-13-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm not clear why his posts get you so worked up but it doesn't feel in the spirit of the Paceline forum to continually snipe with these ad hominem posts.
It's because the posts have a condescending and pedantic tone, whether intentional or not; that's how it comes across.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Carbon fiber sports equipment is a lot more than just bicycles. A carbon fiber bicycle will likely last decades, barring crashes or corrosion. In contrast, a carbon fiber baseball/softball bat will generally only be good for a single season of heavy use.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
I guess there is that non recyclable not green angle

This is from the UCI's own website

the sports industry is the 3rd largest global user of carbon fibre

most carbon fibre sports equipment has an average three-year lifespan

90% of end-of-life carbon fibre equipment ends up in landfill.

I did not realize sports was the 3rd largest user either

But on that web page they talk about a "Carbon Fibre Circular Alliance" where they are trying to start some sort of reuse program with a machine. But I would be surprised if it gets beyond prototype
This is pretty fascinating and one of the things which irks me about CFRP: nobody really talks about the long-term impact or where it goes once the part is used up. I recall Trek marketing some recycling program years back and Chris King touts the use of "Fusion Fiber" in their sourced rims. I'll probably do some reading up on it, since all I can figure is that recycling likely involves melting/burning away everything that isn't the bare carbon, so I'd imagine you'd have this mixture of weak/mixed stuff that needs to be harvested and re-impregnanted to be of any use.

Back to bikes, I'm curious to know how mixed carbon/ti bikes from the likes of Firefly, No22, or Prova ride, since it's more sustainable: high wear areas are titanium (BB, dropouts) and tubes are largely CFRP, which can be repaired.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I guess there is that non recyclable not green angle
Personally, I'm okay with tossing 1000g of carbon fiber into the landfill every ten years, given the overall benefits of riding a bicycle.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
It's because the posts have a condescending and pedantic tone, whether intentional or not; that's how it comes across.
In the eye of the reader, to be sure, but still the comments feel inappropriate to me.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Can you get steel rim-brake wheels any more?
You mean like this one?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/WM-Wheel-...0&from=/search

Lots of bikes (mostly very low end, or very heavy duty like cargo bikes) come with steel rims.

Last edited by Mark McM; 02-13-2024 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
3 years? I friend of mine who is an ultra-marathon rider (including events like Paris-Brest-Paris and Boston-Montreal-Boston, and he's even done solo RAAM 4 times) is still riding his 30 year old carbon fiber Aegis. (You may recall that Aegis made the first full carbon frame in 1986.)
Old 02-13-2024, 01:15 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
most carbon fibre sports equipment has an average three-year lifespan
this sounds like marketing prose, not sure to what end (maybe to sell more bikes every 3 yrs?)..

think about how many early carbon bikes are still rolling around, how many carbon golf clubs are still being swung, how many rackets (I'm guessing they use carbon??) are being used still.. I just don't buy that a carbon part used by non-pros or not crashed/damaged magically goes dead at 3-4 yrs..
Old 02-13-2024, 01:31 PM

Oof..

The carbon bike I have right now is 8 years old.

But the previous 2:

- Had one for only 2 years and it got destroyed
- First one I only used for 1 racing season and then sold it

So my record isn't great. I am not really sure I've had much of anything else in my life made of carbon fiber other than cycling stuff.

Golf clubs are are a weird one.. both the shops and the golf pros I've talked to claim carbon shafts are for a weird in between zone. Unlike bicyclists top golfers do not use carbon clubs very often. They are an expensive option that works for certain players at a certain level but don't work for elite players because the elite players have a higher swing speed that doesn't benefit from the carbon club.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:38 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Golf clubs are are a weird one.. both the shops and the golf pros I've talked to claim carbon shafts are for a weird in between zone. Unlike bicyclists top golfers do not use carbon clubs very often. They are an expensive option that works for certain players at a certain level but don't work for elite players because the elite players have a higher swing speed that doesn't benefit from the carbon club.
yes, but there are certainly many more golfers that would probably benefit from the carbon shafts than not is my guess, regardless if they want to admit or not.. kind of like most riders would probably be more comfy on a Roubaix than a Tarmac, but don't want to admit it..
Old 02-13-2024, 02:00 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Back to bikes, I'm curious to know how mixed carbon/ti bikes from the likes of Firefly, No22, or Prova ride, since it's more sustainable: high wear areas are titanium (BB, dropouts) and tubes are largely CFRP, which can be repaired.
I can't speak to those brands but my Ottrott was a fantastic bike. In terms of longevity, I bought it used, rode it for several years, gave it to my brother who continues to use it. Though not all the tubes were CF, the ST was (is) ti as are the chainstays. I believe that those listed above, and others like Seven, make different tubing choices.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:06 PM
Administrator

More hot garbage out of the same author and dumpster fire "publication" that Outside has become.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...lmost-forever/

eyeroll...

Quote:
We’re talking about a future-proof bicycle here, and here’s why you want steel for that:

Over time, standards change—especially axle widths, which keep getting wider, and steel is the only material that really doesn’t care what size axle you cram in there. I have a 40-ish year-old steel road bike frame, which would have been designed to accommodate a 126mm rear axle. In my time with it I’ve used everything from 120mm to 130mm in there with no problems, and I doubt very much the frame would care if I took it up to 135mm or even beyond. This means I can potentially choose pretty much any hub made in the past century, which means if I need a new wheel I can spend a thousand dollars on something new and modern or I can pick up a used one for $40 on Craigslist without worrying too much about the dimensions.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
More hot garbage out of the same author and dumpster fire "publication" that Outside has become.
Hot garbage out of a dumpster fire, man, this Angry guy can write!