Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpuddle View Post
You can buy a bicycle, but you can’t buy fitness. People focus on equipment because it is easier than getting fit.

Even though equipment has gotten marginally better, it doesn’t matter much. ... but there is little that you won’t be able to do on that Cannondale.

If this bike makes you happy, you’ll probably ride it more, and that is what matters.

Related, if you can browse through a copy of the latest Bicycle Quarterly, there is a feature on a beautiful 60 year-old constructeur that would be right at home amid the all-road bikes at the last NAHBS.
I'm with bitpuddle on this.

The improvements offered are more in the market's interest to get the consumer to constantly buy, buy, buy. I wouldn't even call them incremental, but a constant change, going off on tangents to convince you that what you own is not what you need or want, but that you must chase the current trend.

That Cannondale is a GREAT bike for its vintage, and would continue to be one for commuting and such-less worry about being stolen, rained on, getting dirty or abused. But sadly, it sounds like it doesn't fit you and as you've discovered, it has a really harsh ride. But they were made to be go-fast racing machines and the advertisers would have you believe that stiffer is faster, so that's how they were marketed.

Keep the Cannondale for commuting and errands, or part it out.

While the market continues to change yearly, trying to convince the public they NEED discs, tubeless tires, etc., it's not necessary. No need to chase the latest and greatest technology. I personally think bikes are getting too complicated with tech, making servicing them a hassle. You could be perfectly happy with a "used 9-speed Dura Ace" bike, or a new "more modern" bike as you call each.

In your case, since you have some bike knowledge already, I'm sure you could eventually find that older, used bargain. But it may take a while and you've already got the bug. Buy yourself a new, Shimano 105 or Ultegra level or equivalent bike THAT FITS and don't try overthink the tech. The marketing people will have you think it's obsolete after a year.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:16 AM

Go Cheap, Ride, Then Spend Too Much, It's The Circle Of Bike Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsflantastic View Post
I've been getting back into cycling after a few years off the bike.

A co-worker of mine found a 58cm Cannondale Crit from from 1989 in his neighbor's garbage and gave it to me! (he's a member here :wave: and thanks again if you read this). I built it up with old parts I had kicking around and to my surprise the thing is a rocket and I'm having more fun on this bike commuting to and from work than I've had in a while.

Suddenly I've got the itch to find a nice ride that actually fits... but as I come back to cycling everything seems different! Disc brakes for road, 11 and 12 Spd, electronic shifting, tubeless tires, "modern" geometry and materials, and even a whole new category of adventure/gravel bike that seems to have taken hold.

So help me cut through all this. How much better have bikes and components gotten in the last 7 or 8 years? Are we talking incremental improvements or is it a whole new world?

Your thoughts will help me figure out whether to find an older used bike w/ a traditional geo and 9 speed dura ace or something or save for longer and get something more modern. My goal is to start taking some longer rides again and have fun - - - that's all. The Cannondale is a super fly commuter, but I want to riiiiiiiide (and after my first 30 miles out on the dale this ain't the bike for that!)

Interested in your take!

Thanks!
"My goal is to start taking some longer rides again and have fun"

The bicycle market is saturated and used bikes, specific unicorns notwithstanding, are always a place to find bargains. So, depending on what you want deals can be had.

As far as what to get it all depends on you (fit, fitness) and your terrain (hilly, flat, combination) and simple likes (fatter tires, ease of shifting...).

Nail fit, needs, likes and price and you'll see that there's more bikes that fit that criteria than you could imagine. I narrow it down pick must haves and at your price point, there's so many options that your options are almost endless.

but as I come back to cycling everything seems different!

Seeing as you've been here before you know the drill, the more you ride the more the wants will escalate. I say go conservative/cheap first and ride the heck out of it and get into good shape. My needs seemed to change with longer miles and more days added along with improved fitness.

If you feel a need to improve after that, then go with used or new that's an upgrade to your cheaper re-entry bike. You'll know better then what you really need and, let's be honest, mostly want.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:24 AM

Fit Fit Fit and get a bike that is meant for you, not the marketers. Agree with previous poster, finding a top notch (even dura ace/chorus) bike from 2011-2014 before the disc rush could strike you a bike you may never part from. How to go about it, join local club/make friends with stuff, get basic fit sizing. Really - how are you going to use it?

Perhaps there are local paceliners near you which have something what you need and you can actually try.

PS: comment back from 80's tech change. We retrofitted my wifes Bruce Gordon /Chinook touring frame to full Dura Ace 7900, put 32c tires on it, longer reach brakes and would compete with anything today unless weight was your major concern
Old 07-19-2019, 05:43 AM

I was barely cycling in my 30s and 40s, after being an avid cyclist--and I found the then 'new'-ish equipment (my first 'new' bike was a late '80s Mercian with Campagnolo 8, purchased in 2002) an eye-opener.

Even though the 8 speed was the lowly Mirage, and the frame (531 steel) was not dissimilar to frames that I had raced on, I was absolutely delighted by the combi brake lever/shifter and the improved brakes. I thought this counted as real improvement! Like you I was delighted with my step into the new...

Since, I've been trying 'newer' stuff (my newest frame is ~2007) and carbon fiber, and I have to say weight savings while not giving up anything in ride comfort and handling counts as real 'improvement'. Although, when I switch from that to steel, and my reaction isn't 'Oh this steel bike is 30% worse'--it's much more 'Oh this is different than carbon". A good frame is still a good frame but there are times when lighter is better.

I don't know about stuff I have not tried--disc brakes and electronic shifting. And probably, just because of budget limitations is may be a while. But I don't feel like I need improved braking or easier shifting (got that already with Campy 10).
Old 07-19-2019, 07:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpuddle View Post
You can buy a bicycle, but you can’t buy fitness. People focus on equipment because it is easier than getting fit.

Even though equipment has gotten marginally better, it doesn’t matter much. Some things are noticeably better (clinchers, bike computers, wide range gearing), and i wouldn’t want to go back to old handlebar shapes, but there is little that you won’t be able to do on that Cannondale.

If this bike makes you happy, you’ll probably ride it more, and that is what matters.

Related, if you can browse through a copy of the latest Bicycle Quarterly, there is a feature on a beautiful 60 year-old constructeur that would be right at home amid the all-road bikes at the last NAHBS.
Really only four things that make that ride great.
-Fit-bike fit, does the bike fit you
-fitness-being fit on the bike
-finesse-riding smart including riding safe and defensively
-fat-lack thereof on you

The object of the ride is the ride, not the bike. Do/change things on the bike that might make the ride easier, help the bike disappear beneath you like clipless pedals, index/click/lever mounted shifting, better, more appropriate gearing but it's about the ride.
If the bike fits and works..go ride it.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:01 AM

Those Cannondales had a justified reputation for harshness - about as harsh as it got. They were bad then and still bad now.

There are lots of good used bikes from around the past 10-15 years that would be better equipment wise and nearly anything will ride softer than what you have now.

I’d find a well regarded local shop and ask them to help you with fit, then either buy one from them or ask their help in setting up a nice used bike. Its worth paying money for either service.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I had one of those criterium frames
Ugh.
Give it back and save your crotch tons of misery.
Quote:
Those Cannondales had a justified reputation for harshness - about as harsh as it got. They were bad then and still bad now.
Quote:
I had one of these Criteriums as my first road bike. I LOVED that thing! Fast, responsive, and oh how cool was that massive downtube. I enjoyed just looking at it.
hmmmm
Old 07-19-2019, 09:27 AM

the gear spreads are better, tolerances tighter, and wheels are nicer than they used to be. Lots of bikes clear 28mm tires, my sweet spot for all but the fastest rides. the bikes are a bit better, even steel bikes are nicer now than they used to be. saddles have also come a long way, though some still like the same old saddle.

but bikes are still bikes, you still have to pedal them and find a good position on them
Old 07-19-2019, 09:37 AM
cmg

buy used and build your next ride. Do you like the Cannondale for it's fit? what would change about the proportions? buy a frame that matches those parameters. dig up a chart on the cannodale and go from there. Plenty of 2nd hand groups to get on ebay and then you can chase the dream cheap wheelset. cobbling something together is a lot of fun and if it doesn't work sell it on ebay.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:58 AM

new bikes are approximately 27% better than old bikes. it's a fact.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
new bikes are approximately 27% better than old bikes. it's a fact.
Wrong. At least 28%

Old 07-19-2019, 10:17 AM
i like bikes!

bahahaha. OK - I'm starting to get a sense here.

for the record - the cannondale is just my bike of the moment. I've also owned * a Pegoretti Love #3 w full ultegra and mavic cosmic carbones, and
* 2 Serotta CSI's with full campy and full dura ace, respectively. . .

Perhaps my original post was misleading. It's just the Cannondale that's got me having fun on a bike again and renewed my interest.

Coming back to biking after about 8 years of using random older bikes, I'm just trying to figure out if another 58cm steel bike with dated but fine groupset is the way to go or if the newer stuff is that significantly improved that I'd be missing out on something.

Consensus seems to be mixed so far. A few guys have pointed to wider tires and discs being worth it. But it seems like, the old axiom - "it's not about the bike" is sitll mostly true as long as it fits?

Last edited by itsflantastic; 07-19-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
another 58cm steel bike with dated but fine groupset is the way to go ...

But it seems like, the old axiom - "it's not about the bike" is still mostly true as long as it fits? -- yes
Not sure about the dated groupset bit, but otherwise yes. Good used steel frame with 11 speed Ultegra or similar would be a great way to go. Really think the ergonomics and gear range of 11 speed is worth it.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Older Than You

There are lots of 3-4 year old rim brake bikes with 11 speed groups that aren't selling very well. These should be selling close to bargain prices.

More interest now in disc brakes and wider tires.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Consensus seems to be mixed so far. A few guys have pointed to wider tires and discs being worth it. But it seems like, the old axiom - "it's not about the bike" is sitll mostly true as long as it fits?
I'd say it is about the bike, once you figure out what fits is there one that makes you happier?