Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2019, 04:44 PM
aka RAEKWON

I did not get any sidewall weeping on my new juniper ridge and was pretty happy with it. They went it TL pretty easily and have kept air overnight. Someone mentioned that the new iteration of compass/RH have improved on tubeless and I believe it/am glad it happened.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 PM

I got my first flat in many months and probably a thousand or more miles today. It was also my first ride on Compass 32c EL tires. Coincidence? Maybe. It was quite a pointy shard of glass...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2019, 09:17 PM

I haven’t read this thread, but for clinchers I don’t k ow why anyone would ride anything other than Compass extra lights. I guess if you ride extensively on super sharp flint, maybe then go for a Schwalbe mtn bike tire or something, but outside that they are the best and last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 PM

Regarding compass tubeless setup, anyone had some mounted for a while and can say how they have fared? Has mounting them changed over time at all? I remember reading some about potential bead stretching over time. I don’t mean to spread rumors; I’m just scared of them blowing off unexpectedly. I ride schwalbe g-ones tubeless and they’re lovely, as are wtb horizons.

And to be clear: I’m a compass fan too. Really impressed with longevity given their thinness. I have a pair of (tubed!) stampede pass non-EL with at least 3000 miles on them. I got to around the same mileage on a pair of rat trap pass non-ELs as well, and those survived a good number of rocky gravel roads and a whole lot of commuting under a tubby rider often carrying a decent amount. And I have a pair of Barlow pass ELs I ride a lot in the summer. They’re just great too.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:49 PM

Also on the note of compass and flats: now that I have decent miles on three pairs of compasses, it seems like I get around one flat per tire per 500 miles or so. That’s not exact, and my sample size of six tires isn’t large, but it’s about what I’ve seen. My rear rat trap pass non-el died with a tear in the tread, not unlike the bubble photo referenced earlier... except again it had ~3000 miles on it. So it lived a full life, and I thanked it for its comfort and zippiness. It’ll live on as a donor for tire boots.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:37 AM

I quickly went from believer to skeptic when I blew out a sidewall on a Chinook Pass UL clincher after less than 1000 miles of commuting (and likely less than 500 miles). The other was starting to wear as well. And I don't under-inflate.

They felt great! But I switched back to Donnelly/Clement USH and will try GravelKings next.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcatalog View Post
Regarding compass tubeless setup, anyone had some mounted for a while and can say how they have fared? Has mounting them changed over time at all? I remember reading some about potential bead stretching over time. I don’t mean to spread rumors; I’m just scared of them blowing off unexpectedly. I ride schwalbe g-ones tubeless and they’re lovely, as are wtb horizons.
I wonder if the bead stretching stories were based on their non-tubeless tires mounted as tubeless. Anyhow, I've been riding on Barlow Pass TC (tubeless compatible) for 6-8 months (can't remember exactly) and have had zero problems. Mostly pavement, but occasionally on some chunky gravel and they have been great. Love them.

Last edited by rst72; 04-05-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:17 AM

When did they rebrand to "Rene Herse Cycles"? That sounds like an interesting story.

My experience matches what some others have said, tires can easily be 2mph in speed differential. They are a huge factor especially if you're changing size of tire dramatically.

What's up with an "UL" tire for commuting, I wouldn't expect that to be a recommended use?
Old 04-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst72 View Post
I wonder if the bead stretching stories were based on their non-tubeless tires mounted as tubeless. Anyhow, I've been riding on Barlow Pass TC (tubeless compatible) for 6-8 months (can't remember exactly) and have had zero problems. Mostly pavement, but occasionally on some chunky gravel and they have been great. Love them.
That’s a good theory.

Anyway, great to hear the Barlow tc has been great. That’s a more-recent convert to tubeless compatibility for them, so your experience says the bead is better.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
When did they rebrand to "Rene Herse Cycles"? That sounds like an interesting story.
I was just wondering the exact same thing when I visited their site today....

Surprised this was not noted elsewhere, or maybe I just missed it?
Old 04-05-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
I was just wondering the exact same thing when I visited their site today....

Surprised this was not noted elsewhere, or maybe I just missed it?
They announced it late last year.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcatalog View Post
Also on the note of compass and flats: now that I have decent miles on three pairs of compasses, it seems like I get around one flat per tire per 500 miles or so. That’s not exact, and my sample size of six tires isn’t large, but it’s about what I’ve seen.
That would be 2 flats every 2-3 weeks. No way would I tolerate that. If that is on a wheelset that rarely gets used then maybe but otherwise.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
That would be 2 flats every 2-3 weeks. No way would I tolerate that. If that is on a wheelset that rarely gets used then maybe but otherwise.
I wish I rode that much!
Old 04-21-2019, 03:06 PM

Ummm... maybe the ultralights just aren’t for me. Ride great, but perhaps not the wisest choice for the trails I do. This happened on tarmac though... AFTER, my gravel ride. Bon Jon pass 35mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ECB5E889-188E-47E2-A11C-AEBD4AF97E0C.jpg (90.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:17 PM

700C x 26 Cayuse Pass

Any experience with the Cayuse Pass tire? For use as a 100% road tire