Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 PM
cmg

What is the weight difference between the Chinook and the gbs you wanted to purchase? Is it the rotating weight difference that got your 2 mph increase?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC59 View Post
i might be over-simplifying but is compass charging a higher price for a lower quality panaracer? are they the same tire minus some sidewall protection?
No. Compass (now Rene Herse) tires are manufactured by Panaracer to RH specifications:
For the Compass Extralight models, Panaracer uses a casing usually reserved for their top-end racing tubulars. Panaracer doesn’t use this casing on their own clinchers.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
The above question. Just put my deposit down on my last rim brake bike ever. I want to run 28s. One issue: the Chinook isn't tubeless compatible. Not sure about the G+. Anyone with direct experience with both?
I think I am probably in the minority as most everyone else seems to love them but I bought some G+ when they first came out. I now only use them on the indoor trainer. I really have zero love for them having had the rear wheel repeatedly slip out and slide on wet concrete in turns. And I don't think the ride is anything special. If you want tubeless compatible I'd look at the IRC formula tires - lovely tire. I like Compass alot but haven't tried anything smaller than a 32 from them - yet.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I think I am probably in the minority as most everyone else seems to love them but I bought some G+ when they first came out. I now only use them on the indoor trainer. I really have zero love for them having had the rear wheel repeatedly slip out and slide on wet concrete in turns. And I don't think the ride is anything special. If you want tubeless compatible I'd look at the IRC formula tires - lovely tire. I like Compass alot but haven't tried anything smaller than a 32 from them - yet.
Hey Greg -

Thanks for the excellent feedback. Both the G+ and the Compass aren't tubeless compatible, (best I can tell) so that rules them out for me. I was thinking of going the Schwalbe Pro One route, but it looks like the reviews for the IRC are pretty sterling. I'll give those a spin instead...
Old 03-05-2019, 12:04 PM

Pro One

Pro One tubeless in 700x28mm is the best all-around tubeless road tire I have ever used.
S-Works is also good but not as durable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Hey Greg -

Thanks for the excellent feedback. Both the G+ and the Compass aren't tubeless compatible, (best I can tell) so that rules them out for me. I was thinking of going the Schwalbe Pro One route, but it looks like the reviews for the IRC are pretty sterling. I'll give those a spin instead...
Old 03-19-2019, 10:49 PM

John, does the pro one fit true to size? I’m thinking of ordering some to try tubeless on a Hed Belgium+ rim but I’m worried about chainstay clearance. The vittoria Corsa G+ 28mm are more like 30mm at 50 psi. I wonder if the pro one would get wider too. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Pro One tubeless in 700x28mm is the best all-around tubeless road tire I have ever used.
S-Works is also good but not as durable.

Last edited by spinarelli; 03-19-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinarelli View Post
John, does the pro one fit true to size? I’m thinking of ordering some to try tubeless on a Hed Belgium+ rim but I’m worried about chainstay clearance. The vittoria Corsa G+ 28mm are more like 30mm at 50 psi. I wonder if the pro one would get wider too. Thanks!

No. I ran 25mm pro one tubeless on a belgium plus rim and they measured almost 29mm. But they were great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2019, 10:05 AM

thanks for the feedback. ill get some 25s... I wonder how big the 28s would be on the same rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarrett View Post
No. I ran 25mm pro one tubeless on a belgium plus rim and they measured almost 29mm. But they were great!

Old 03-24-2019, 09:44 AM

Update on my Snoqualmie Pass tires: a bubble is forming in the tread of one tire. I removed the tires and the beads stretched so I had a hard time getting them to snap back out to the rim, even with a compressor. I found a high flow air duster in my tools that finally worked. I wrote Rene Herse about replacing the bubbled tire under warranty almost a week ago and haven't heard back. Leakage of sealant through the sidewalls continues (using Orange Seal Endurance). In summary, tubeless performance of these tires is lacking.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:06 AM

I just got a set of the Snoqualmies as well. I need to build up wheels this week for them, but hoping for the best with these. The reviews kind of seem to be all over the place. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Update on my Snoqualmie Pass tires: a bubble is forming in the tread of one tire. I removed the tires and the beads stretched so I had a hard time getting them to snap back out to the rim, even with a compressor. I found a high flow air duster in my tools that finally worked. I wrote Rene Herse about replacing the bubbled tire under warranty almost a week ago and haven't heard back. Leakage of sealant through the sidewalls continues (using Orange Seal Endurance). In summary, tubeless performance of these tires is lacking.

I had the same issue with the same model last year. Sounds like a bad batch of tires. Contact compass and send that photo...they sent me a replacement no questions asked. The sidewall weeping problem seems to be fixed with their more recent batches as well.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Don’t write off compass due to one bad experience. If you contact them, they will take care of you. I’m guessing there is a very small margin of error in manufacturing tires of this caliber, so there are bound to be a few duds. My current snoqualmies have about 3k on them and have been ridden in countless gravel events that have tested their durability and my confidence in them...I am never short of amazed at what they can handle. And, I’m 240 lbs

Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 AM

Anybody have a recommendation? I got the Snoqualmies all mounted up onto Belgium Plus hoops. They mounted up beautifully with no compressor needed. They started inflating right away so that was awesome!

My concern is that I never heard the tubless “snap snap” through the inflation process. The molding line is very even and visible along the tire/rim, but i’m hesitant to ride them since I never heard the snap. I brought them up to max recommended pressure of 70 psi as well. I worked with them with no sealant, sealant as well as a little warm soapy water.

I do have an email out to Rene Herse, but thought I would check with the hive in the meantime. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
My concern is that I never heard the tubless “snap snap” through the inflation process. The molding line is very even and visible along the tire/rim, but i’m hesitant to ride them since I never heard the snap. I brought them up to max recommended pressure of 70 psi as well. I worked with them with no sealant, sealant as well as a little warm soapy water.
If the molding line is even and correctly located, I think youre good. Lubricating the rim with soapy water may have precluded the audible "snap" of the bead seating.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
If the molding line is even and correctly located, I think youre good. Lubricating the rim with soapy water may have precluded the audible "snap" of the bead seating.

Correct. Like I mentioned, I did reach out to Rene Herse and they pretty much said the same thing. As long as the molded line is even and visible around both tires I'm good. That was kind of what I figured, but figured I would inquire anyway. I've gotten about 50 miles on them thus far. They are a sublime ride and we'll worth the money in my opinion. They are currently measuring just a hair under 44mm on a Belgium Plus wheel. There is no weeping of the sidewalls (I did get the extralight in black) and they are holding pressure really well.