Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 08:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Dead Man! Good hustle. Nothing gay here.

Don't like Boston but love to watch Pedroia..there are some great middle infielders around right now and Dustin is one of the best.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:26 PM

Tried the acetone slather this morning and the tape, but it still evaporated so quick I couldn't tell much difference...
This is the rim with the most glue remaining. I think I literally have a ball of glue from this set that weighs 1/2 a pound.
I'm tempted to just try adding my Conti glue now, but feel like I'm so close. Any other secret ideas?

I do plan to remove the white fuzzies from my rag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1301.jpg (67.6 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by TronnyJenkins; 08-30-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:39 PM

Looks like my Zipps after I pulled the tubbies off. Nothing worked for me other than a heat gun (yes I've read the warnings).
Old 08-30-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
Looks like my Zipps after I pulled the tubbies off. Nothing worked for me other than a heat gun (yes I've read the warnings).
This is AFTER the heat gun

I guess I'll have to get some non shedding cloth thats tacky enough to grab what's left and bust it back out...
Old 08-30-2017, 12:46 PM

I think I used one of those wooden paint stirring sticks which I cut to fit the rim. similar to a tongue depressor. Heat and scrape, heat and scrape. Was a PITA. The glue job was a done by the previous owners of the wheels. I think it took me 45 mins just to get the tire off
Old 08-30-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronnyJenkins View Post
Any other secret ideas?
check your local hardware store/Target/DrugMart for this (below). or Amazon. squirt and and rub it in. saturate the glue. let it soak then for half an hour or so. go back at it with a rag. repeat.

another option is to pour it into a heavy/large clincher tire (like a hybrid one) and soak a section of the rim in it. less messy, but takes longer.

I've not had as much luck with goof off as others are stating above. maybe there are different levels of it...?

Old 08-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I've not had as much luck with goof off as others are stating above. maybe there are different levels of it...?
Yes...use the Pro strength.

http://www.goofoffproducts.com/produ...ength-removers
Old 08-30-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Tried it right after it came out..freebie supplied by Conti rep..tried it and it just didn't stick WAS...same time, cans of Conti went WAY up in $, so Vittoria or Panaracer. Maybe it's changed but stay away from Conti 'black'..
Found this article. Good info for a noobie to tubulars, you guys might find it interesting as well.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/cat...-cement-44556/
Old 08-30-2017, 03:21 PM

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/pro...rogna-remover/

This makes removal extremely effortless and will get all of the old glue off.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 PM

I read this idea somewhere on here a while back, though never tried it. You put acetone in a shallow dish, put the wheel in a truing stand so the rim dips into the acetone bath. Tape some cards or similar to the spokes, then turn a fan so it blows and spins the wheel and let the wheel "roll" thru the acetone a while. I think it would leave a spray as it rotates, depending on the speed, so plan ahead for that. It supposedly takes all the old glue off with no scraping if memory serves.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 PM

Just glued up my third set of tubulars for cross this season. If all goes to plan I won't be touching the glue until road season. I hope all goes to plan. These hands need a break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 PM

It's been so ingrained in me to diss tape and stick with Mastik One, but the Carogna tape and cement remover are actually working quite well for me. I don't know that I'd trust them yet on track wheels, but on road wheels they've been consistent. I haven't seen problems with three different rim brands. It tends to clean off carbon rims well, but the smell suggests there are some higher petroleum fractions in it, so I'd always clean up the rim afterwards with acetone to remove any residue. When I'm working with fresh glue jobs (tires that were mounted, ridden, flatted, and pulled off, all within a season), it seems to work ok. I borrowed a couple rims with glue jobs and even Carogna tape jobs from last year, and it didn't seem to work as well. It also didn't work as well with glue jobs that were built up, or had been exposed to water (like on cross wheels). You'll really have to try it for yourself and see how your applications work. The tape and the remover have both been changed since first released, and the newest versions seem to be working better. They've stuck with it and have a good product going.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:16 PM

Why wouldn't Carogna be good for track use?
Old 08-31-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
The tape and the remover have both been changed since first released, and the newest versions seem to be working better. They've stuck with it and have a good product going.
that's good to hear. I love the idea of the stuff, but it just didn't work for me for cx tires. wasn't as bad as some people have experienced (tires rolling right off rim with very little force) but it wasn't something I'd want to race on. I'll hold out for at least another season, and see how things look next year...

the glue remover, though, is AWESOME!
Old 08-31-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
thanks. I think I was trying the "heavy duty" strength. I'll give pro strength a whirl next time around...