Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachboyd View Post
I just want to come in here and make a safety point.

NEVER use a heat gun on a carbon rim! The carbon is held together with the resin, and if that heats up your carbon will deform and change shape. Using a heat gun is an absolute no-no for removing old glue!!
Don't know if that's entirely accurate. The resins have cured and hardened and shouldn't revert back because if heat being applied.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
Don't know if that's entirely accurate. The resins have cured and hardened and shouldn't revert back because if heat being applied.
yeah, my approach to never get it hotter than you're comfortable touching was based on the idea that it gets hotter than that under heavy breaking anyway... for example, the Boyd pads state that they were tested with rim temps reaching 104 Celsius (~219F). I'm not comfortable touching carbon that's that hot.

I could be wrong, of course...
Old 08-29-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Resins have cured, but delamination usually occurs when the carbon gets too hot. The resin doesnt revert back to a liquid, but it can soften. One of the reasons no one powder coats carbon is due to the baking process. Heat is used to break loose many glues, loctite, etc.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
this reminds me of why i like clinchers so much.
+1
Old 08-29-2017, 03:17 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
What dont u like about contis glue?
Doesn't work as well as 'normal' tubular glue.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
+1
Nancy....

note! It's a joke! Don't go all agro!!!
Old 08-29-2017, 03:28 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Nancy....

note! It's a joke! Don't go all agro!!!
No offence taken......
Seriously I just don't get it. With all the problems with glue or no glue, tires coming off the rim...waaay too much trouble.

I I have ridden tubulars once. They do ride a little better than a good clincher but not worth the hassle.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
No offence taken......
Seriously I just don't get it. With all the problems with glue or no glue, tires coming off the rim...waaay too much trouble.

I I have ridden tubulars once. They do ride a little better than a good clincher but not worth the hassle.
'Worth' is a big word. Don't want to make this a tubie vs clincher debate......but I see no compelling reason to use clinchers.

The 'don't go agro' comment was for another poster here that got his panties in a bunch about it... helmet-on, flac jacket-on!
Old 08-29-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
What aspects of it dont you find work as well? Not as long lasting, not easy to apply etc etc?

Just curious as i like conti and u named everyone but more or less .)
Old 08-29-2017, 03:54 PM

This is all you need to remove glue...
My routine is to have a cardboard box underneath the wheels to let the overspray flow onto.

Spray the rim and drench it with goo off, and then in 15-25 minutes, the old glue will peel off with ease with an old rag. I've never had a single issue removing old worn glue with this bottle and rag method.

Go buy one of these bottles and embrace the tubular world. I love the Clincher versus Tubular debate, especially when I'm on group rides and we have to wait for guys getting flats all damn ride. Pinch flats, Double inner tube flats, Tube pinches during install, baby thorns, etc. You have to really puncture a tubular to get a flat, which means keep your eyes on the road and look for nails and shiny glass reflections.

Also, Vittoria Mastik should be the only glue you use on tubular wheels... It's simply the best and super strong, so be mindful to use thin coats when you apply the glue. If you go nuts with thick layers, you'll have a hard time removing the old tire and possibly ripping up the base tape of the tire... Most of my cycling crew have converted from Clincher to Tubular wheels now. They see the light! Veloflex tires alone are worth the jump to Tubular tires. Smoothest ride out there!

Last edited by denapista; 08-29-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:01 PM

Would you pls elaborate??? the one for aluminum worked pretty good for me for a long time. For carbon rims kind'a suck?

Quote:
Old 08-29-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I have ridden tubulars once. They do ride a little better than a good clincher but not worth the hassle.
I only race cx on tubs. I did the road tub thing this summer for sh*ts and gigs and it was cool. tires felt great. but I think it was more a function of them just being great tires. I would swap back and forth between that setup and a wide clincher setup, not with the same tires but still quality ones. I'd notice a tiny difference when I first set off on them, but after that it's gone to me. and this was with both setups at similar pressures, etc. the main difference was that the two setups had rims that weighed the same(ish) but the tub ones were deeper and were thus a little stiffer and faster.

I don't find them overly difficult or anything, in fact I enjoy working with them. but to ride them just for the ride quality...there's just not much in it for me. if I raced road though, I'd for sure use 'em there (stiffer, with less rotating weight).

anyway, don't wanna turn it into a tubs vs clinchers thing. just saying I get where you're coming from. both are great and whichever you enjoy, cool.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
The 'don't go agro' comment was for another poster here that got his panties in a bunch about it... helmet-on, flac jacket-on!
Dead Man! Good hustle. Nothing gay here.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 AM
Steel..what else??

Quote:
No need to make it clean clean and don't waste your $ on 'carbon' tubular glue.

Panaracer ot Vittoria or Clement or Challenge tubie glue.

Behind a guy that flatted his clincher and watched him crash as the tire came off the rim....reminded me why I like tubulars so much.
Stay classy dude.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
What aspects of it dont you find work as well? Not as long lasting, not easy to apply etc etc?

Just curious as i like conti and u named everyone but more or less .)
Tried it right after it came out..freebie supplied by Conti rep..tried it and it just didn't stick WAS...same time, cans of Conti went WAY up in $, so Vittoria or Panaracer. Maybe it's changed but stay away from Conti 'black'..