Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 08:19 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
The interesting thing is that there's 3 Browning designed guns in those photos.

The Auto 5 is easy but many people forget that he did a lot of design work that other makers bought. The 520/620 guns date from a similar era to the Auto 5. But the Model 37 Was originally designed for Remington as I believe the model 17. Ithaca took over the design once the protections had run out and Remington came out with the 31.

My favorite general purpose upland gun is my solid rib 37 in 16 gauge.
Actually there are 4 of his designs and two spin offs.
'97, A5, 12, 520/620. The 37, as you said is slightly tweaked from the Rem 17(20ga) and the Rem 31 too based off his design.
Only the Marlin was absent his genius.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Nice collection. Typo on the first two. I knew the early Marlin had the band in front of the receiver.

You need to add a Remington model 10 or 29 to your collection. They are the bottom ejection models that morphed into the Ithaca.
The Rem 10 was a Pedersen design I believe. Lots of them in Trench form were used in WWI.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:30 PM

I completely forgot about the 97 being his!
Old 04-20-2019, 08:34 PM

You're right. I thought the 10, 17, and 29 were all part of the same basic family. It's amazing how designs Browning originated.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:45 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

All my shotguns are reproductions.

2 hammerless coach guns, a ‘97, and an ‘87.

But I do cowboy action not clays.

The only thing I have that's really old is a Springfield Trapdoor Carbine that was made from a Cadet rifle manufactured in 1895.

Still shoots great!

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:51 PM

GDW John Browning was awarded 128 patents for firearms and items directly related to firearms throughout his lifetime.

I find it very interesting to look not just at all his designs but his designs that are still in production 100+ years on in many cases.

I've made 2 mistakes over the years in gun buying that I still kick myself over and they both involve the Browning Superposed shotgun.

A number of years ago when I was doing a lot of clay target shooting I came across a mid 50's Superposed at a local shop that felt really good. The thing is that I wanted longer barrels and such so I passed on it. The thing that makes me kick myself to this day is that it was a Funken engraved Diana grade gun in honest shape that I could've afforded! Sometimes stupid just doesn't cover it.

The next gun was a mid 30's Single trigger Superposed that had honest wear and had enough wear in the hinge pin that a rejoint service would've been on the table. That particular gun was one of those rare guns that fit and almost as importantly balanced like it was made for me. Again it was one that I could've afforded but passed on. That particular gun was a grade 1 gun but it had European Walnut that was all out of proportion to the grade. Again... Sometimes stupid just doesn't cover it.

Last edited by parris; 04-20-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Head to Ned

Great poster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Guns-of-John-Moses-Browning.jpg (156.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-20-2019, 09:08 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
GDW John Browning was awarded 128 patents for firearms and items directly related to firearms throughout his lifetime.

I find it very interesting to look not just at all his designs but his designs that are still in production 100+ years on in many cases.

I've made 2 mistakes over the years in gun buying that I still kick myself over and they both involve the Browning Superposed shotgun.

A number of years ago when I was doing a lot of clay target shooting I came across a mid 50's Superposed at a local shop that felt really good. The thing is that I wanted longer barrels and such so I passed on it. The thing that makes me kick myself to this day is that it was a Funken engraved Diana grade gun in honest shape that I could've afforded! Sometimes stupid just doesn't cover it.

The next gun was a mid 30's Single trigger Superposed that had honest wear and had enough wear in the hinge pin that a rejoint service would've been on the table. That particular gun was one of those rare guns that fit and almost as importantly balanced like it was made for me. Again it was one that I could've afforded but passed on. That particular gun was a grade 1 gun but it had European Walnut that was all out of proportion to the grade. Again... Sometimes stupid just doesn't cover it.
John's son Val had 48 patents himself. The one I like most is the Double Automatic.
He also finished up his dads design on the Superposed and the Hi-Power pistol. Not that many even know of him...pops cast a BIG shadow!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:19 PM

I remember that he sorted out the single trigger on the Superposed after his father passed away. Wasn't the BLR one of his designs also?

He also served in ww-1 and got his engineering degree from Cornell.

You're right that his father cast a big shadow.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
I mentioned that they all are pre 1940. The 1100 came out in the early 1960's...
Shows you how little I know about shotguns !!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:29 PM

Senior also designed the most practical firearm for bikepackers who travel into the sticks to hunt small game. It's just the right size when broken down to fit into a custom hardtail frame pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BROWNING_WITH_RIFLE.jpg (129.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
I remember that he sorted out the single trigger on the Superposed after his father passed away. Wasn't the BLR one of his designs also?

He also served in ww-1 and got his engineering degree from Cornell.

You're right that his father cast a big shadow.
I've got the early Model 81 BLR in .358Win. Very nicely made gun as well.
Karl Lewis listed as the designer.