Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 AM

Today I became a responsible adult.

I sold a bike at a bike swap yesterday, so I had a little cash jingling around in my pocket. A dangerous thing.

I didn't buy a new bike or frame.

I know. Shocked me too.

I didn't snap up gngroup's Moots Compact, here or on eBay, although I really wanted to.

I didn't bid on this other eBay Compact.

I didn't go for this Online Swap Meet "Vahmoots" CR with S&S couplers.

Even today when I got an email offer for a discount on this Moots Compact SL frame. I didn't jump. I've been looking for a Compact SL, and here one is. The unicorn Moots. Slightly small for what I usually ride (55 vs 56), but nothing I can't overcome with a stem. And yet, I didn't push the button.

Maybe it's because I already have a Vamoots RSL, an everyday Compact, and a Compact that is getting S&S Couplers installed. That's in addition to the seven other bikes I don't ride nearly enough. Well, the trainer bike gets used a bunch in the winter, but that's only until it corrodes into the ground. The rest just hang there waiting for a race in a specific discipline to come around.

However, have multiples of essentially the same thing has never stopped me before when it comes to bike stuff. I hoard and I hoard, reorganizing to squeeze another one in. I see a good deal on a derailleur or shifter, I buy a couple just so I don't run out. Consumables like cassettes and chains are banked for a dark day when they're no longer available.

And yet, today I said I have too much. I didn't add any more, as tempting as it was. I started filling a bin with parts that I need to pass on in one way or another. Even if I don't sell them, at least they'll be dug out of the shadows and I won't run the risk of buying yet another one.

Instead of starting another bike project, I took my everyday Compact out and got it good and dirty in the runoff from the melting snow, then gave it a good bath. While it didn't give me the same hunter-gatherer endorphin rush I get from sourcing and bolting parts on a new project, it was an even better high melting into a bike that just plain fits and turning the pedals over. I pushed it as hard as I dared down sandy and potholed switchbacks, relishing the sensation of shaping a turn with counter-steering. Instead of acquiring more, I made good use of what I had. Maybe there's a lesson in there somewhere.

So, at just a shade under 50, I became a responsible adult.

No promises about tomorrow, though.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:30 AM

[grin]

Good on you.

Two weeks ago, at Eroica California's swap meet, I was offered an astonishingly good deal on a vintage Spectrum with Campagnolo. Good enough that I could have stripped the frame, sold the components and wheels, kept the frame, and still come out ahead on the deal. And I surprised myself by walking away (although I'm clearly still thinking about it today). I already have one vintage lugged bike that I just finished restoring, and I can't really imagine one better than that. And I don't really need two. And I don't ride the bikes that I have now, enough, as it is.

I really want to focus on riding bikes rather than collecting and building bikes.

But, as you say, tomorrow is another day of temptations.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:19 AM

To be honest, I did walk out of the swap meet with a 27.2 Moots layback cinchpost that I don't really need, but it was too good of a deal to pass up...

With the drop in prices for rim brake road bikes across the spectrum, it's hard for me not to give in to the lust I've had for a lot of these bikes for many years now that they are in my financial wheelhouse. I love experiencing first-hand what I'd only read about. Still, there's only so many bikes I can own before I start seeing them as more of a burden (YMMV). I'm at that point now, and am hopefully slowly backing away from the cliff. I just realized that if one great bike is good, five great bikes aren't necessarily five times better.

I just have to get back to it being more about playing bikes than about owning bikes.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:11 AM

Dayumn, a compact sl in a 55?

That there's a unicorn in these here parts.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:14 AM

I'm also becoming a responsible adult. The downsizing has (generally) not resulted in other new stuff coming in. Mentally, the reduction in clutter is huge. My basement and workbench are much more clear now!

I can still identify at least one bike that might yet go, and possibly two. And possibly a third. That would get me down to three and that might be the right number.

Less has definitely turned to more for me.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Dayumn, a compact sl in a 55?

That there's a unicorn in these here parts.

No kidding! It was easier to feel responsible before I followed the links to temptation.

Instagram
Old 04-22-2019, 06:15 AM

One day at a time.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:28 AM
aka RAEKWON

nice.

I have had no bikes bought this year and have toned it down on bike stuff, not that I bought as crazy amount as some here but I feel like every week was something bike related in the mail. I feel like I have everything I need now. happy with my bikes (hell, could even sell 1 or 2). I did spend a bunch of money remodeling my kitchen though, so feeling adult this year myself.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 AM

Adulting is hard... I needed a life event to cut back. We're moving to the PNW and I sold 2 fat bikes, two gravel bikes, two touring/commuter bikes, a tandem and three of my wife's bikes so we didn't have to move them.
Down to two road bikes, a gravel bike for each of us and two mountain bikes each. I also sold off my last moto...

After we get settled again all bets are off
Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Adulthood? You'll get over it.

This is coming from a guy who didn't get married 'til he was 51, no kids, didn't have his own place 'til he was 42, etc.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
No kidding! It was easier to feel responsible before I followed the links to temptation.
Yeah, that was kinda devious on my part. I was hoping a Paceliner would swoop in and remove the temptation, keep these "in the family", and maybe pass them on to me at a later date.

Buying and building four Moots, even on the secondhand market, within the last year has really showed me that I need to pump the brakes. I can't just throw any old parts on them, so they get the full ENVE treatment, nicer wheels... and it starts to really add up.

The SL was the one that really has me grinding my teeth, because I think that's the one model I don't own that really intrigues me. If it was a 56, it would have already been boxed and in the mail to me. That's how close I was to caving.

Lots of Moots have popped up in the last couple weeks, so I'm interested to see if this is a seasonal thing or a trend that will have me tapping my kids' college funds.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
that will have me tapping my kids' college funds.
I bet they're smart kids Mike. They'll probably get full scholarships, etc. Tap away!
Old 04-22-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The SL was the one that really has me grinding my teeth.
Same...
I passed on a 55 SL a couple years ago and then picked up an RSL that happened my way. It complements my mellow CR nicely and completes my skinny tire needs.

Now a Compact SL 55... the seller thinks it's a 2008. A unicorn that I totally don't need.

Instagram
Old 04-22-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
The SL was the one that really has me grinding my teeth.
Same...
I passed on a 55 SL a couple years ago and then picked up an RSL frameset that happened my way. The RSL complemented my mellow CR nicely and completed my skinny tire needs.

Now a Compact SL 55... the seller thinks it's a 2008 with the 13.7 headtube. 6/4, 1 1/8" and binder bolt, a unicorn that I totally don't need.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 04-22-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I have had no bikes bought this year and have toned it down on bike stuff, not that I bought as crazy amount as some here but I feel like every week was something bike related in the mail.
I was just about to respond to you when the doorbell rang. It was the postman with another eTap component for my travel Compact project. So yeah, I know the feeling.

Of course, not 10 minutes ago I did an order for cork bar tape and chains, so I'm not helping things there. At least this stuff is more about maintaining what I already have instead of adding to the pile. Alternating seasons between trainers and rainy, grimy rides tends to burn through a lot of consumables. When I find a good price, I stock up.