Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 08:57 PM

Mini Cooper is owned by BMW and cars built in UK... Quality is way below BMW and prices of parts/labor is same as a BMW. Also dealer support isn't the greatest with only 105 Mini dealerships in the United States as of March 13, 2024. Many dealerships closed up and there was a lawsuit between the dealerships and BMW in 2019. Minis are fun cars when new.. but not good at all after few years.. body parts are all plastic and break.. Very expensive....
Old 04-02-2024, 09:02 PM

Not exactly what you're asking but my wife leased a 2 door Mini Cooper a few years ago.
Had it for 3 years.

Fun to drive around Toronto and squeeze into smaller parking spots.

The novelty wore off fast tho.
Too small to haul stuff, 2 doors are a pita.
Not a quiet car.
Head room on the low end.
Found out I couldn't use it to jump start my car. No access to the battery. I called to inquire and they said that's by design.
Suspension stiffer than all the other cars we've had. Our dog did not like it.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:25 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Don't these have a proprietary tire size and BMW level hourly service rates?

What's not to luv?
Old 04-02-2024, 09:56 PM

My mechanic refuses to work on them. Complete nightmare to get any sort of access to the engine. He knew some Mini dealership mechanics that would do anything to avoid working on them.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:27 PM

A good friend has had lots of issues with one, burns an amazing amount of oil. I think her son mostly uses it now, just driving to school and work, with a few quarts of oil handy.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:25 AM
slower than you

I had a lightly used '03 S (the supercharger engine) for a few years. Bought it in '10 out of a garage where it sat most of the time. I loved that little thing. First thing I did was ditch the run flats for a set of Yokohamas. Mucho fun everyday car that was easy to park and held a lot. But, maintenance became a problem. Was told that a windshield wiper problem would cost me 800 to repair, mainly labor, taking everything apart and putting it back together again. It's a design not friendly to work on. Then there was the incompetent dealers near me that couldn't fix an idiot light problem four times. "Are you sure it's not the gas cap?" It was the gas cap. It was too small for skiing, anyway.

The Countryman isn't really a Mini, anyway. Buy a Subaru, if you want a small AWD. Much cheaper, more reliable, MUCH better service at the dealer level.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:48 AM

I had an 09 Clubman Base manual. I had the water pump develop a leak in the first two months (replaced under warranty) and an intermittent hot start issue. When the car was warm and re-started, say after a quick stop at the quicky mart, it would trigger an ABS code. Never looked into it although I probably should have. Also I think I remember an issue with the passenger side window regulator. Almost traded it in on a JCW Cooper but held off and got an Outback instead.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:55 AM

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
Old 04-03-2024, 09:10 AM

My brother bought a used one and it has been a nightmare. He is now a train commuter.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:14 AM

I think there is something that happens if you drive BMW/Mini long enough too and you need that context when someone says "no problems".

My dad also has a 3-series, I believe turbo 4 cylinder. He definitely drove like a maniac when he was younger but I don't think he does anymore.

In any case both my Mom's mini and my Dad's 3-series seemed to through brake pads and/or rotors about every 25k miles and they have never really though this was of any concern. To me that seems pretty ridiculous unless the car is getting pounded and going to the track or something, or is just an outrageous sports car.

I think they bought both cars used with very low mileage and got good deals and still had warranties and maintenance plans on them which helped but personally I can't stand the car having to go into the dealer extra and interrupt my schedule, even if I don't have to pay for it.

Still haven't even rode in the 2024 Mini but I will say it *looks* really cool both inside and out. A lot cooler than the old one.

Last edited by benb; 04-03-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:43 AM

I’ve had two bmw x3, 2017 and 19. Both were trouble free and the local dealer is excellent. They once drove two hours into the desert to bail us out, for free, when we blew a tire and no tow truck would come get us. I will probably get another this year after having a pretty blah experience with an accord the last few years.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:45 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I think there is something that happens if you drive BMW/Mini long enough too and you need that context when someone says "no problems".

My dad also has a 3-series, I believe turbo 4 cylinder. He definitely drove like a maniac when he was younger but I don't think he does anymore.

In any case both my Mom's mini and my Dad's 3-series seemed to through brake pads and/or rotors about every 25k miles and they have never really though this was of any concern. To me that seems pretty ridiculous unless the car is getting pounded and going to the track or something, or is just an outrageous sports car.

I think they bought both cars used with very low mileage and got good deals and still had warranties and maintenance plans on them which helped but personally I can't stand the car having to go into the dealer extra and interrupt my schedule, even if I don't have to pay for it.

Still haven't even rode in the 2024 Mini but I will say it *looks* really cool both inside and out. A lot cooler than the old one.
It doesn't take "driving like a maniac" to blow through brake pads quickly. It takes tailgating, racing to red lights, and just general nervous and aggressive habits on the road I see every day. Back in the day of manual transmissions, ditto for clutches. My father taught me early how to preserve a car from needless and expensive shop work, and I'm happy he did.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
It doesn't take "driving like a maniac" to blow through brake pads quickly. It takes tailgating, racing to red lights, and just general nervous and aggressive habits on the road I see every day. Back in the day of manual transmissions, ditto for clutches. My father taught me early how to preserve a car from needless and expensive shop work, and I'm happy he did.
My brake pads lasted far beyond what bmw wanted but my third party mechanic I used was good at minimizing maintenance costs and replaced only as needed. Bmw dealer seems to follow cars schedule in the book and could care less about actual need.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I honestly think it's the car. I have rode with him and don't notice that.

I definitely don't do that but I will rail corners and hit the brakes very hard and yet I almost always get 80-90k out of brake pads. That includes my previous car which I auto crossed.

And I know my mother doesn't drive like that. She drives like you expect a 75-year old grandmother to drive. She drives a Mini 100% for looks, not cause she's out there drag racing.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:40 AM

My 2007 NA Cooper (R56 engine, 2007-2013) has been my primary vehicle since 2010. It's had more than just oil changes, but still only what I'd consider regular wear and tear. It's a blast to drive, good MPG and is rather practical, IF you don't need the rear seats for passengers. High safety rating and IMO, much better than avg in avoiding accidents.