Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 10:48 PM

Counterfeit La Passione jersey from Geartrade

I was stoked to buy a La Passione jersey from Geartrade recently, but unfortunately when it arrived, I'm pretty confident it's a knockoff. The interior label of a true La Passione jersey should look like the one in item

https://www.geartrade.com/item/95745...ve-jersey-mens
or
or

...but the jersey that arrived has an interior label that looks like the one in

https://www.geartrade.com/item/93692...ng-jersey-mens

(which I'm confident is also a counterfeit.) Yes, you'll have to zoom in or have sharp eyes to see the difference in labels in the small online images. You can also see the difference in the elastic at the hem of the sleeves.

I'm familiar with the style of the interior label of the jersey that I have. I've bought "reproduction" jerseys of old professional cycling teams from eBay and AliExpress and they almost always have this style of interior label.

I've sent an email to Geartrade and I'm confident that they'll make it right. I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them over the years (cycling and backpacking/camping) and this is the first time I've run into it with them. I don't blame them, either; they're re-selling returned items and I'm betting that one of their customers pulled a fast one on them and "returned" a counterfeit jersey and kept the real jersey. I'm sure the people handling the returns aren't paying that close attention to the fine details. Not with the volumes they're probably having to process and not being an expert in all of the items that Backcountry sells. I just wanted to put it out there that even a reputable source can run into problems with knock-off items.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:58 PM

Yep, 100% a counterfeit. Have seen many like it.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:43 AM

counterfeit

It is counterfeit... came across many.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:45 AM

My oddity for the week--I clicked through on a Darn Tough ad on Facebook--flash sale, clearing some overstock. I ordered some socks, order was flagged by my credit card company (don't use the card often)--so I went over the whole transaction, and it was legit (i hope).

So today, I see what looks like the same ad, click on it because I'm still curious if--and it is 100% NOT Darn Tough--took me to some discount general junk clothes site, probably Chinese.

So now I'm waiting to see if I will actually get socks.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
My oddity for the week--I clicked through on a Darn Tough ad on Facebook--flash sale, clearing some overstock. I ordered some socks, order was flagged by my credit card company (don't use the card often)--so I went over the whole transaction, and it was legit (i hope).

So today, I see what looks like the same ad, click on it because I'm still curious if--and it is 100% NOT Darn Tough--took me to some discount general junk clothes site, probably Chinese.

So now I'm waiting to see if I will actually get socks.
Those flash sale ads are 99% scams.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
So I have found out.

Filed a dispute, cancelled the card--what an annoyance. If only I hadn't needed socks badly!
Old 03-29-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
99% is being conservative.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-29-2024, 08:45 AM

Well, thanks for that heads-up. I actually had the page up for the "sale Darn Tough socks" and was planning on coming back to it later today!
Old 03-29-2024, 10:14 AM

If the price is too good to be true...

Buddy got taken in by the Raphacollective site last week. No, a Rapha jersey is never going to be $20.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:35 AM

FWIW - Geartrade items are not all returns from Backcountry, there are private sellers on there. And unless the seller is Geartrade (not Backcountry) they won't take returns.

I hope in this case they refund your money. Let us know!

Edit: the prices on Geartrade are often good but not "too good to be true". Mostly I've bought items that were at +/-40% of retail.
Now I'm wondering if they were counterfeit!
Old 04-10-2024, 02:00 AM

Just a follow-up here that GearTrade did indeed make things right and allowed me to return the ersatz jersey for a full refund, even shipping it back at their cost. So aside from some time and angst on my part, they did the right thing.

I've bought many hiking/camping/backpacking items from them and never had any problems with those. But whomever they're paying to process their returns isn't an expert on cycling clothing.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:35 AM

Darn Tough

Yeah I have also seen the fake Darn Tough ads, something looked off to me about it, and when I looked at the URL I realized that it wasn't Darn Tough.
I sent them a message about it, so they are aware of it, but those stealing sites (lets face it, they aren't "fake" they are straight up stealing sites) aren't that easy to shut down.