Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:01 PM

Staying Relevant

You have to give SRAM props, they are steadily progressing forward with each release. Market share through OEM sales is their goal. When they went twelve speed, they snagged orders with it.

From Bikerumor:
BMC’s premium $12,500 / 12,000€ Teammachine SLR01 Disc LTD is the kind of bike we expect to see the latest and greatest bike tech featured .

Cannondale thinks the all-rounder Synapse with Red eTap AXS makes a nice combo, but expect it on the new aero SystemSix too.

Canyon is going the aero route as well with their 7500€ Aeroad CF SLX Disc. It’s also ready on the 6300€ Ultimate CF SLX Disc and 6300€ Endurace CF SLX Disc.

For Cervélo, we’ve seen the latest R5 get a wireless 12-speed SRAM option now, but the much newer aero S5 is quickly following suit.

Giant give both their aero Propel Advanced SL Disc and the lightweight TCR Advanced SL Disc road bikes SRAM 2×12 eTap AXS builds

The Koga Kimera Pro will be a nice option for riders looking for a super stealth bike with the new wireless 12-speed groupset.

Orbea offers both their Orca Aero and classic Orca with the new 12-speed drivetrain.

From Pinarello, try the F10 Disk

Or Rose’s relatively affordable Team GF Six Disc Red eTap AXS or their Xeon CW Disc Red eTap AXS either of which for 5,800€, or two hundred more for this X-Lite Six Disc Red eTap AXS

Scott highlighted the aero Foil Disc as befitting a new wireless group, concealing most of the brake’s connections for a clean look.

Specialized had similar wireless thoughts with their spanking new S-Works Venge Disc, taking it a step further by tucking every vestige of hydraulic brake lines inside the handlebar, stem and frame

3T’s Strada road bike gives users plenty of option. Go 1x with the original Strada, or 2x with the Strada Due.

And rounding out the alphabet of premium road bikes, the $12,500 aero Trek Madone SLR 9 Disc is another one to put a hurt on your wallet to get the latest drivetrain, or the slightly more affordable (haha) $12,000 lightweight Trek Émonda SLR 9 Disc.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/06/her...-speed-groups/
Old 02-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Besides that on a light bike a 53/39 has none of the negatives of a compact and with a 12-28 I can get over just about any paved road for hundreds of miles that I am actually allowed to ride on without paying a fee or signing up for a hill climb race, no matter how long the day is.
Does that include a Kingsley, Witcomb, Munroe, Greylock kinda’ day? I know Ed would use bigger gears yet, but I had to ask...

— John
Old 02-09-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
That video (about the same test as the CyclingTips article) doesn't actually present any data, but it does present a set of conclusions from the test. And those conclusions (starting at about 5:25 in the video) are pretty much the same conclusions I reached from the data - in smooth coniitions, the clutch doesn't change drivetrain losses, but under rough conditions, the clutch increases drivetrain losses. And that goes for both SRAM and Shimano clutch derailleurs.

The small extra losses may be good compromise for off-road drivetrains, if it prevents chain bounce. But, as the presenters in the video commented, there's no good reason to move to clutch derailleurs on road bikes.
Agreed.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
That video (about the same test as the CyclingTips article) doesn't actually present any data, but it does present a set of conclusions from the test. And those conclusions (starting at about 5:25 in the video) are pretty much the same conclusions I reached from the data - in smooth coniitions, the clutch doesn't change drivetrain losses, but under rough conditions, the clutch increases drivetrain losses. And that goes for both SRAM and Shimano clutch derailleurs.

The small extra losses may be good compromise for off-road drivetrains, if it prevents chain bounce. But, as the presenters in the video commented, there's no good reason to move to clutch derailleurs on road bikes.
I believe the engineers and designers are of the mind that the "road bike" and where people ride them has been and is evolving to mean something other than smooth tarmac. As we already know.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:13 AM

Crappy Public Roads

Even on tarmac I encounter roads as bad as cobblestone. Winston Salem, Greensboro and High Point have some pretty rough downtown city streets. Winston is the worst, there's no avoiding some patches and it beats you and the bike to death.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I'm confused. How does the "overall functionality" of ETAP "trump" the other two systems when it gives up "speed, quality, customization and ergonomics"? It seems to me that the only thing you list that is better than the other two is "setup ease" and while that is a factor it's only done one time and IMO has zero bearing on the actual functionality while riding.
I assess the functionality as better on Etap because;
-Setup is much easier.
-Swappable batteries
-No wires to route
-Shifting is more intuitive
-hydraulic braking is the best of the three (nullified if going with rim brakes)
-works on every frame with RD and FD mount options. No need for special routing or boss considerations

If I were a pro then Di2 or EPS would def get the nod since their advantages over etap would likely offer better overall performance. But as a very recreational rider the shifting quality and overall ease of setup and maintenance is tantamount so the functionality of etap is tops.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
I assess the functionality as better on Etap because;
-Setup is much easier.
-Swappable batteries
-No wires to route
-Shifting is more intuitive
-hydraulic braking is the best of the three (nullified if going with rim brakes)
-works on every frame with RD and FD mount options. No need for special routing or boss considerations

If I were a pro then Di2 or EPS would def get the nod since their advantages over etap would likely offer better overall performance. But as a very recreational rider the shifting quality and overall ease of setup and maintenance is tantamount so the functionality of etap is tops.
I don't have personal experience on all 3, but talking to people who do I have heard the exact opposite
Old 02-09-2019, 12:24 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
I don't have personal experience on all 3, but talking to people who do I have heard the exact opposite
I have tried shimano and campy and to me campy is superior in braking... not by a lot but I prefer it. I need to try sram, I really love the campy hydro, I can't imagine how anything could be better, its incredible to the point that I would put it on all my bikes if I could.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I have tried shimano and campy and to me campy is superior in braking... not by a lot but I prefer it. I need to try sram, I really love the campy hydro, I can't imagine how anything could be better, its incredible to the point that I would put it on all my bikes if I could.

Campg Hydros are the best, they give you the feel of a caliper brake but the stopping power of a disc brake. As an old fart, still no need for them, I can ride a bike.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Even on tarmac I encounter roads as bad as cobblestone. Winston Salem, Greensboro and High Point have some pretty rough downtown city streets. Winston is the worst, there's no avoiding some patches and it beats you and the bike to death.
Not once, ever did I think about chain-slap riding on the worse-than-cobble streets of Nairobi.

The story is called The Princess & the Pea, because her wealth made a market for her nonsense. All of the servants were outside sleeping in the dirt, and no one had any interests in their thoughts, about anything.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:35 PM

I'm holding out for SRAM to introduce it'e e-Stim group. It will be a weight weenie dream as the lightest group available, since there is no drivetrain, brakes or cranks necessary.

The rider just mounts the bike on the trainer and sits there watching a t.v. or computer monitor, while leg muscles fire to the required wattage per the zwift course (which is fully integrated with e-Stim).

Ideally, it would be best to put this setup in the basement with all the other toys, like this listing:

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Ambler/161.../home/38907751
Old 02-09-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I believe the engineers and designers are of the mind that the "road bike" and where people ride them has been and is evolving to mean something other than smooth tarmac. As we already know.
100 this. SRAM released two groups that cover more or less every use case for road cross and mountain, and it all talks together and works interchangeably. Want that dropper post on your gravel bike? Done.

This is what the bike internet has been clamoring for as road bikes start to become more all road and vice versa.

So of course people will complain about some nonsense efficiency claims. People are weird.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
100 this. SRAM released two groups that cover more or less every use case for road cross and mountain, and it all talks together and works interchangeably. Want that dropper post on your gravel bike? Done.

This is what the bike internet has been clamoring for as road bikes start to become more all road and vice versa.

So of course people will complain about some nonsense efficiency claims. People are weird.
Exactly

This is them. Literally.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtkIqXWA...on_share_sheet
Old 02-09-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Aaaaand we've come full circle.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:04 PM

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Not once, ever did I think about chain-slap riding on the worse-than-cobble streets of Nairobi.

The story is called The Princess & the Pea, because her wealth made a market for her nonsense. All of the servants were outside sleeping in the dirt, and no one had any interests in their thoughts, about anything.
Oh wow, what a sad dig at a differing opinion, lol. You go, princess.
Closed Thread