Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2024, 06:38 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I have looked at these Ti frame from China for about two years now because I was interested in owning one . I have found that the Ti chinese options (Esker, Binary, Vassago, RSD, Ribble, Sonder, Revel, Stanton, Kingdom, Turner, Curve, Nordest, On One, Pipedream, Chromag, Bearclaw etc.) are on the much heavier end of the spectrum. I think they range from 2100 g to 2300 g (for the Revel Ti El Jefe). I do not blame the companies for making the bikes heavy as they are not XC oriented but towards the trail end of the spectrum with 140 - 150 mm suspension in some cases. Also, they are trying to minimize frames breaking by making them burly. This is understandable. Also, I got the chance to ride a Ti Kingdom Vendetta and it rode wonderfully.

What I find odd is their pricing. Many of these Chinese Ti options are sold for $2500 for the frame. Yes, there is US customer support for the price. And yes, they seem a bargain compared to a Moots Womble (frame for $4600), but they are certainly not competitive (at least in my mind) for a Ti frame from DeSalvo ($3150). I think Alliance Ti MTB frame is similar in price. But as I said, the Kingdom rode very nice. If it were lighter by 300 g would it ride nicer. Probably. And at least for my weight.
What do the US made/custom Ti frames weigh? My Vassago was around 4lbs, I believe (medium frame). Moots Womble is about the same.

Pricing, you can get some of those well under $2k. Mine was $1,500.

Hope I don’t sound like a shill for Vassago. I have no stake in the company. Just a satisfied customer.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:49 AM

If you don't need custom take a look at Stanton out of the UK and Revel has two really nice models also.