Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 PM

cheers to everyone with the recent posts

i had 3x double decaf espressi; perhaps ultimate expression in pointlessness
Old 02-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
new addition to the family. Out with the old, in with the Blue.
Yes, please. If I were your neighbor I'd want to set up some sort of buy-in where you leave an espresso on your front porch every morning and I leave a few bucks. Well done!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Toast View Post
Yes, please. If I were your neighbor I'd want to set up some sort of buy-in where you leave an espresso on your front porch every morning and I leave a few bucks. Well done!
My neighbors know my coffee addiction well and take full advantage! Look me up if you're ever in Oakland.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
My neighbors know my coffee addiction well and take full advantage! Look me up if you're ever in Oakland.
i have 2 fishing guides who float the river in my backyard. they know to tell me when they will be floating by because the best coffee in town is at my house, and its cold outside. Ill bet that earns them a better tip too.

i woke up out of coffee this morning, into the roasting cave!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:19 PM

39 and never have liked coffee
Old 02-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDERF4CE View Post
There's still time...
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDERF4CE View Post
really not sure why you chimed in here then...

i'm not particularly a fan of steel bikes; you don't see me going into steel bike threads and letting my opinions be known writ large
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
cheers to everyone with the recent posts

i had 3x double decaf espressi; perhaps ultimate expression in pointlessness
Since my wife only drinks decaf these days, I'm curious to know what you are drinking. It's a constant hunt for a decent decaf. We tend to like the darker roasts ( not french roast dark...ugh) just darker compaired to what's come to dominate the market...think carmel+chocolate, not citrus.

Let me know what you are pulling.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 PM

Decaf drinker here as well. (hangs head in shame)

The is so little decent decaf in the market. That is why I started roasting my own coffee. Really enjoy the process and it is fun trying new beans and roast levels.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 PM

hunting for good decaf is quite the chore. Most grocery stores (save for Whole Paychecks with roasting on site) are absolutely horrible. TJ doesn't sell many decaf, and its darker decaf is stale when the can is opened. The fancier local grocery store (Wegmans) sells loose decaf that's stale out of the chute. Whole Food does sell something decent (i'd classify as medium dark, they call it the decaf espresso), but you have to buy 12 oz at a time, which may be too much, depending on daily consumption

Look for coffee shops that allow you to buy by the quarter pound. Every city should have at least one that does this. When I lived in DC, only one roaster did this. It wasn't a darling of the instagram crowd, due to the somewhat grungy decor, but they roasted good coffee and sold by the 1/4 pound; as such, I always had fresh beans. The fancier places, OTOH, had minimal order requirements (and were more expensive to boot).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

eta: the Whole Paycheck product is called Allegro Coffee Decaf Organic Espresso Bel Canto Whole Bean Coffee, 12 oz

Last edited by echappist; 02-11-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
hunting for good decaf is quite the chore. Most grocery stores (save for Whole Paychecks with roasting on site) are absolutely horrible. TJ doesn't sell many decaf, and its darker decaf is stale when the can is opened. The fancier local grocery store (Wegmans) sells loose decaf that's stale out of the chute. Whole Food does sell something decent (i'd classify as medium dark, they call it the decaf espresso), but you have to buy 12 oz at a time, which may be too much, depending on daily consumption

Look for coffee shops that allow you to buy by the quarter pound. Every city should have at least one that does this. When I lived in DC, only one roaster did this. It wasn't a darling of the instagram crowd, due to the somewhat grungy decor, but they roasted good coffee and sold by the 1/4 pound; as such, I always had fresh beans. The fancier places, OTOH, had minimal order requirements (and were more expensive to boot).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks.. I'm in the Bay Area so there is actually a true glut of coffee roasters...but very few of them have a decent espresso. Only Scarlet City has anything that comes close. Most lack body. So to date I think I've had decent decaf espresso from Victrola in Seattle, Handsome in LA (now taken over by Blue Bottle) and Scarletcity. This might need a thread of it's own !
Old 02-11-2019, 02:16 PM

I realize this question is below the general level of discussion in this thread, but I don't know any serious coffee geeks IRL so here goes...

What is the easiest & cheapest way to brew good black coffee in single-serve quantities (say, 8 to 12 oz for a travel mug/tumbler)? Consider that I'm currently using K-cups at home. At work I use the free-to-me Nespresso pods which I brew on the largest volume, then again to add 50-100% more water so it resembles something more like normal coffee or an Americano. Point being, the bar for improvement is extremely low, but so is my desire to spend big money on this.
FWIW I do have a Cuisinart burr grinder from my pre-kid days when I had time to mess with making a full pot before rushing out the door in the a.m.
What should I be looking at in terms of brewing apparatus? Aeropress? Seems like cleanup with the filters would be a little easier/quicker than a French press.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
I realize this question is below the general level of discussion in this thread, but I don't know any serious coffee geeks IRL so here goes...

What is the easiest & cheapest way to brew good black coffee in single-serve quantities (say, 8 to 12 oz for a travel mug/tumbler)? Consider that I'm currently using K-cups at home. At work I use the free-to-me Nespresso pods which I brew on the largest volume, then again to add 50-100% more water so it resembles something more like normal coffee or an Americano. Point being, the bar for improvement is extremely low, but so is my desire to spend big money on this.
FWIW I do have a Cuisinart burr grinder from my pre-kid days when I had time to mess with making a full pot before rushing out the door in the a.m.
What should I be looking at in terms of brewing apparatus? Aeropress? Seems like cleanup with the filters would be a little easier/quicker than a French press.
surely you jest; it's absolutely on-point and worthy of discussion

i would think Aeropress or pour-over would work equally well. Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of pour-overs (none of that scalding, burnt out taste that's part and parcel of peculators)
Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
surely you jest; it's absolutely on-point and worthy of discussion

i would think Aeropress or pour-over would work equally well. Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of pour-overs (none of that scalding, burnt out taste that's part and parcel of peculators)
I say aeropress too. thats what I use for myself everyday everytime I am traveling for work
Old 02-11-2019, 02:30 PM

and to make it cycling related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmjPjZZRhNQ

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso