Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Echappist

Nice work. That’s better than many baristas. You’re there. You’ve got the milk steaming sorted. Nice separation between the milk and espresso. It’s just perfecting the hand motion for the Rosetta.

Not sure I see what you mean with the “splashing”. Are you talking about those leaves on the sides of your tulip?

Maybe be sure to tip the cup and get the steaming pitcher as close to the surface of espresso as you can.

Those cappas scream delicious.

Jon
Hi Jon,

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions. Yes, the leaves on either side of the uppermost "blob"/heart in the upper photo. Though i could just call them leaves from now on

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
I am wanting a double walled glass cappuccino cup. I looked and was confused so thought I would ask here. Bodum?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Bodum would be my choice, and while you are at it, get the same Bodum glass cups for espresso as well. The reason is that the glass will allow you to "inspect" your shot and give you a better assessment of the extraction.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
I am wanting a double walled glass cappuccino cup. I looked and was confused so thought I would ask here. Bodum?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
We recently bought a pair...I'd probably say that ours is bigger than a cappuccino volume, but we went with Bodum and the quality seems excellent.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:26 AM

Can anyone tell me what the fascination is with these superior coffee roasters and only producing super acidic, light-roasted, sour tasting beans? And when I ask if they have any dark roasts, they get offended. I understand dark roasts are super roasted and therefore you cant get hints of kiwi or whatever it is they do with light-roasts, but I cant stand these light roasts. I just bought a 12oz bag of beans for $20 from intelligentsia to give it a try and i just cant do it.

Maybe one day ill see the light, but that day is not today. Give me a columbian dark roast that hints dark chocolate and nothing else and im happy.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Can anyone tell me what the fascination is with these superior coffee roasters and only producing super acidic, light-roasted, sour tasting beans? And when I ask if they have any dark roasts, they get offended. I understand dark roasts are super roasted and therefore you cant get hints of kiwi or whatever it is they do with light-roasts, but I cant stand these light roasts. I just bought a 12oz bag of beans for $20 from intelligentsia to give it a try and i just cant do it.

Maybe one day ill see the light, but that day is not today. Give me a columbian dark roast that hints dark chocolate and nothing else and im happy.
There's a ccoffee roaster near me that roasts Indonesian/Sumatran beans only to a light blond color at most. For such a full-bodied coffee (which I prefer), I dun get it at all!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Find a different roaster?
My local roaster usually has at least 10 different roasted beans available, fresh. Some are light, some others, like sumatra, are really dark and a bit oily.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 AM

The main thing with dark roasts is that it is easy to mask a mediocre bean by going deep dark. And that is the main reason coffee snobs lift their nose at Starbucks which started on by going deep into the dark side of roasting. At some point a dark roast is just hard to tell from any other dark.
Also the caffeine content of a bean decreases as you increase the roast as caffeine is heat-sensitive.

In terms of acidity, there is all kinds and it is like people that like sour beer. It is all personal taste.

My advice, enjoy what you like on coffee, being a dark roast, etc, and don’t pay attention to the trend that is trying to make coffee into a wine culture. ( or should I say whine?) Coffee can be a real rabbit hole, with home roasting, etc.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Find a different roaster?
My local roaster usually has at least 10 different roasted beans available, fresh. Some are light, some others, like sumatra, are really dark and a bit oily.
I do have a chain roaster I go to, La Colombe. The beans are excellent. But if im not near one, and I go to a fancy coffee shop, my only options are light-roasts that leave such a sour taste in my mouth; i just dont get it at all. Oh and in this particular instance, they gave me a free small coffee with the beans purchase and it tastes the same, so i dont think its my method of brewing.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:45 AM
aka RAEKWON

Funny, I am not into any of La Colombes beans I have tried and I have tried a lot.

Why not order online?

https://cambercoffee.com

This is my new favorite place. Order 2 bag and shipping is free. They roas Monday and Tuesday and so your stuff will be shipped either Tuesday or Wednesday and get to you ion 2-3 days. Great beans.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Funny, I am not into any of La Colombes beans I have tried and I have tried a lot.

Why not order online?

This is my new favorite place. Order 2 bag and shipping is free. They roas Monday and Tuesday and so your stuff will be shipped either Tuesday or Wednesday and get to you ion 2-3 days. Great beans.
holy ****, $22 for 12oz? and here i thought my $16/lb decaf habit was expensive

for the poster complaining about acidic coffee, does any of the Whole Foods in your area roast on-site? There are a few in NJ that does roasting on site, and they are quite good. Ditto for Fairway in the greater NY metro
Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

Why not order online?

Hm just from looking at the flavor notes, i dont think id like it. Not into the fruity stuff. I like a deep, rich, chocolately bean. but thanks!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:

I roast my own coffee. I roast fairly light because this is the only way to highlight the actual bean. dark roasted beans are dark roasted to mask poor flavor. You taste carmelized sugars instead. lighter coffee is more acidic, and more acid means more flavor. if the coffee is sour to your palette, its either a poor coffee, poorly roasted, or your palette is weird.

light roasted coffee is for folks who enjoy unique flavors in their coffee. I have had lightly roasted ethiopias that give normal coffee drinkers that feeling of "strength" they only get from over roasted coffee (hint, its not stronger, just more burnt flavor, theres actually less caffiene the more you cook it). They are lower acid africans, and they are the best coffees around. i have also roasted guatemalas that taste too much like tea. I do not prefer these, but i appreciate the nuances available.

the point of light roasted coffee is to be able to taste nuance. if you slap a glog of cream and scoop of sugar in your coffee, perhaps nuance is lost on yoru taste buds.

perhaps not everyone wishes to experience nuance in their coffee. this is why starbucks is so successful. they absolutely lack nuance by design. they want ever single coffee to taste like every single other coffee so as not to confuse their patrons who are used to their flavor of coffee.

ride one bike or ride 10?
only drink dark coffees or try something with nuance?
Try something different, open your eyes to possibility, and if you dont like good coffee, thats ok, lots of people prefer crappy coffee. its what they grew up with. they dont know any better
Old 02-07-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
I roast my own coffee. ... because this is the only way to highlight the actual bean... lighter coffee is more acidic, and more acid means more flavor...if the coffee is sour to your palette...your palette is weird.

light roasted coffee is for folks who enjoy unique flavors in their coffee... the point of light roasted coffee is to be able to taste nuance. if you slap a glog of cream and scoop of sugar in your coffee, perhaps nuance is lost on yoru taste buds.

... if you dont like good coffee, thats ok, lots of people prefer crappy coffee. its what they grew up with. they dont know any better
Kind of funny that his post got you so bent out of shape. Maybe you should ease up on the 'good' coffee a bit.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:30 AM

I'm a huge coffee lover. We buy direct from Peets (Sulawesi Kalosi) every month for drip / pour over and have always been pretty happy.

We've tried a lot of different types of espresso machines including a couple of the Illy capsule offerings and a Baby Gaggia with a pretty nice burr grinder (I'm forgetting the name but it was in the $300 range - nice but not professional). For Christmas my wife bought me a refurbished super automatic DeLonghi Gran Dama for less than $800 (coupons and the right timing). If it wasn't new when we bought it, I couldn't tell. I was skeptical - super automatic and all but she likes lattes and it's really easy to use. I drink espresso and Americanos.

She also bought me the Whole Latte Love Italian coffee variety pack. Coffee coming out of the machine was good, but not great. Then I found Trade Coffee. Wow! It really is all about the beans. I like my coffee dark but not bitter and don't use sugar or milk although on weekends I will throw a shot of maple syrup in there. Favorites so far are: Doma Virgil's, Irving Farm Gotham and Metric Le Corbusier. The Doma is by far my favorite.

Skeptical at first but now with my Trade beans, I think the DeLonghi is great and would highly recommend.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:37 AM

I guess it depends on how you drink it. I could see the appeal if you treat coffee like you would wine, but for most people I think they drink it to help wake up in the morning and don’t need to nor interested in going further than that.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 AM

Pretty lucky here in Reno to have a few strong, local roasters. Although, I feel like that's pretty common these days ...

I keep it simple these days and just do a Hario V60 pourover with whole beans from Magpie or Hub Roasters. Grind it at home with a Baratza Virtuoso when I'm ready to do up a cup. I cut way back on my macchiato habit and usually make 2-3 cups of coffee a day at home to save a little money.

My palette is pretty average, but I do enjoy a well-executed roast that's not too acidic and try to stick with regions that are in season / what the roaster is most excited about that week. It's nice to support local shops that have a good atmosphere and let me bring my bike inside after a long ride ... and only give me mild amounts of crap about my spandex and stupid cycling caps.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso