Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 08:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
Correct Peter. It's wireless for the shifters and only has a small amount of wiring exposed to the front and rear derailleur. I would bet most of the damage to EPS or Di2 is to the wires around the headtube area. Especially during shipping. And it means a ton of extra routing of wires. This has just two wires.
Disc brake option? Whether good idea or not..kinda the shape of things to come.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:35 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I personally think hard wiring the ders is a great 'compromise'. They take the most juice, and reduces batteries to one and 'protects' it as well. BUT I really don't think the wiring of di2 or EPS is any big deal..setup is certainly easier but functionally, after put together..wired or wireless really means nada.

I think the next gig with shimano and electronic is a 'smart' front der ala XTR..with one shifter(rear) and a programed front der w/o a shifter. Wireless? I don;t see it from shimano or Campag. Neither see any advantage except for setup..and I doubt they care much about that. Particularly shimano. If they don't see the 'advantage' they don't do it..carbon cranks, BB30 cranks, a good example.

BUT seeing some of the 2018 pro tour bikes with hydro disc setups with internal hydro lines..bet the wrench-force are 'lovin' that...

Everything inside..
I think the idea FSA had was to keep it clean and reduce excess. Just as the BMC shows, no wires, super clean. But for mechanics, running wires in bars/stem/spacers/headset is a pain. And then for shipping, even bigger one. I like that the derailleurs are hard wired. Agreed on that and that it's one battery and it'll pull more power. I think they did a nice job and a yes a good compromise.

I doubt Campagnolo or Shimano will do wireless. Especially if FSA or SRAM have patents on things they need. Shimano and Campy both hate paying for other peoples tech. Shimano more than anyone. I also think they both have so much invested in the wired systems that they won't run that way. They might walk incredibly slowly that way eventually. But after certain patents expire.

I think this kit shows real promise and is well done. Especially given the market and challenges. I would even consider it on a new bike for myself. I do dislike the cranks. It's kind of bulbous around the arms. The Gossamer and Omega are cleaner looking except they're alloy. I like the looks of the older FSA cranks especially the 5 bolt ones.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Disc brake option? Whether good idea or not..kinda the shape of things to come.
Not sure. I know they make disc mountain brakes. It wouldn't be hard to do. There's room in the lever body. And if they can keep the body about the same size, then that's awesome. I would bet they've got something in the works. And they have a 20x20 booth this year. Maybe they're showing a disc kit at NAHBS. I'll ask on Monday.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:41 AM

It is not a novel idea so I am not sure how anyone would have a patent on it. And if you go that route, FSA and SRAM might be licensing wireless tech themseleves.

I think it is typical Shimano, let everyone work the bugs out for several years (i.e. road disc) and then come out with a better version that sets the "wireless standard".

I personally waited out the road-disc-TA thing until now when it seems to have settled on Hydro-TA12 so I am happy to wait on the sidelines for Shimano wireless. That is when I will probably jump in and go full on custom/Ti/Hydro/TA12/Wireless/All-Road bike. For now, I will be more than happy with my Seven mid-reach brake mechanical road bike.

Quote:
I doubt Campagnolo or Shimano will do wireless. Especially if FSA or SRAM have patents on things they need. Shimano and Campy both hate paying for other peoples tech. Shimano more than anyone. I also think they both have so much invested in the wired systems that they won't run that way. They might walk incredibly slowly that way eventually. But after certain patents expire.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:52 AM

I'm hopelessly old school, I guess. Any and all electronic groups don't interest me in the slightest. "Game changer"? Not MY game.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:52 AM

Read an article about wireless and campagnolo, there is a big chance they have wireless already, the question is when.

I do believe that wireless is the way to go, even to convert a frame to electronic with wireslss is a lot easier. No drilling but maybe just rid off down tube bosses in old frames and good to go.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 AM

Some thoughts:
1. Thanks for sharing
2. Im glad a new guy is in the game pushing limits
3. This is the Ugliest group on the market
4. I cant get into powered things on bikes unless they are powered by the bike, ala Dynamo. wireless and electric shifting would only be acceptable to me if your riding creates the power to charge the items. otherwie i dont bike to be powered by stuff.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:00 AM

I'm still waiting for wireless braking or at least wired braking. Cables are so last century.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
4. I cant get into powered things on bikes unless they are powered by the bike, ala Dynamo. wireless and electric shifting would only be acceptable to me if your riding creates the power to charge the items. otherwie i dont bike to be powered by stuff.
That was one of my favorite things about this project: http://www.chapmancycles.com/2017/03...ing-bike-v2-0/

I'm surprised I haven't seen more Dynamo powered Di2 setups.

On topic: I like the RD and shifters. FD and brakes are what they are. I'm with everyone else on the cranks, ick.

Last edited by bmeryman; 01-13-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Keepin' it on topic.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
This is YUUUGE!
(but is it correct? FSA website says 40-50mm reach....not 57)
YES! This is correct. It will do 57mm. So this will do standard short reach 40-50mm AND 57mm long reach frame/wheel designs.
From center of the post to center of the post it is 7mm. I attached a picture of the back of the flip-flop post.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 12.20.59 PM.png (137.4 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by sales guy; 01-13-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Vendor

Also, here are the weights for everything.

Front derailleur: 155 w/concave block and bolt
Rear derailleur: 205
Front brake: 167 w/spacers and bolt
Rear brake: 173 w/spacers and bolt
BB: 84 w/spacers
Crankset: 571 rings, bolts and both arms
Front lever: 155 w/batteries and clamp
Rear lever: 155 w/batteries and clamp
Cassette: 255 w/lockring. 11x28t
Chain: 255 w/master link, uncut at 116 links
Front QR: 60
Rear QR: 65
Front wheel: 705 w/rim tape
Rear wheel: 886 w/rim tape
Battery: w/seattube plug and wires for a 50cm frame

The wheels, heavier than their claimed weight. Claimed 1530, actual 1591. Thats a big difference.

The Levers, they are very light. Feel like they have nothing in them. The post is titanium, the clamp looks stainless and the bolt is alloy. They've really tried to keep them light.

The front derailleur cage, it's stainless. Took a magnet to it.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:14 PM

Is the battery similar dimensionally to Di2? Could I use the same battery holder (like the Ritchey or Zipp ones for example)?
Old 01-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeryman View Post
Is the battery similar dimensionally to Di2? Could I use the same battery holder (like the Ritchey or Zipp ones for example)?
Here's the battery dimensions:
Overall length- 150mm
Wire end- 18mm diameter x 45mm long (minus the plug)
Non-wired end- 17mm diameter x 105mm long

I attached pictures. In the pic it has the plug used to hold it in. I am betting the battery will fit any plug. But I don't have any others here so I don't know for sure. The one on it says FSA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2568.jpg (50.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2570.JPG (141.5 KB, 181 views)
Old 01-13-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
YES! This is correct. It will do 57mm. So this will do standard short reach 40-50mm AND 57mm long reach frame/wheel designs.
From center of the post to center of the post it is 7mm. I attached a picture of the back of the flip-flop post.
If it just moves the whole brake down to accomplish the longer reach it doesn't actually accommodate a bigger tire.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:14 PM

That was my thought as well so they are either trying to deal with some of the carbon rims that have lowered brake tracks or there is something else to the brake that makes it work as 47-57mm reach with clearance for bigger tires and/or fenders.

Being FSA and the level of that group, I am thinking it is to accommodate carbon rims and not for larger tires and fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
If it just moves the whole brake down to accomplish the longer reach it doesn't actually accommodate a bigger tire.

Quote: